Ascend Acoustics new speaker - Sierra 2EX

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grateful Ed, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree. Listening to Eagles Hotel California DCC CD and the imaging seated dead center is excellent.
    Until recently I hadn't really kept up with Ascend Acoustics speaker offerings. So I'm surprised that the Sierra-2s have been out that long. I thought they were a more recent addition to the speaker line.

I emailed Dave about the availability of B-stock Sierra-2EXs in the domestic cabinet. Also that I was thinking of buying a pair of used Sierra-2s locally. Dave responded that the cost to upgrade the Sierra-2s to the EX would be close to buying a new pair. He made a valid point. But my thoughts on buying the used pair is that I could sell them for close to what I paid for them and then buy a new pair of EXs. Thinking strictly from a resale perspective a pair of EXs would have higher value than a pair of Sierra-2s upgraded to EXs IMO. Although I could be totally wrong with that assumption. Also I'd be concerned that I would screw up the upgrade (scratch the cabinet, break a wire, etc.).

Using the Sierra-2s as surrounds would be a great idea and not overkill at all especially if you listen to multi-channel music. A few years ago I bought a pair of Salk HT2-TLs. The Salk/Ellis 1801-TLs that were being used as my main speakers were moved to be used as surrounds. The difference in SQ of multi-channel music (especially quad) was amazing! Previously I was using a pair of ADS 300Cs (small monitor) mounted on the rear wall as surrounds. I say go for it!

2. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have mixed feelings about the upgrade myself. In hindsight, I wish I would have been patient and tried to sell my Sierra-2s first and then just bought a new pair of 2-EXs considering the upgrade was over $700. Or just bought the new EXs and then sold the Sierra-2s. But impatience / managing funds got the better of me! Oh well. I expect to keep these upgraded 2-EXs for quite a long time.

I don't have much input on the surround front, but I'd say (especially considering the sale going on right now) that buying the new 2-EXs and repurposing or selling the Sierra-2s would be the best option.

Also, I don't use subs, so the increased bass extension was very welcomed for me. I'd still say it's a notable upgrade in midrange in high end, but diminishing returns is definitely more of a factor when subs are already in the picture.

Bill Mac and mike catucci like this.
  3. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Happy Thanksgiving..........and congrats on your score Bill Mac. Concerning the upgrade process I upgraded my front 3 Sierra 1's to S2's and if you can run a variable speed drill with a good bit or have a nicely tipped long Phillips screw driver you could do the upgrades. I was a little nervous also but it wasn't that difficult. I really don't see how an upgraded pair would have any less value than an original pair once the driver and crossover are replaced they ARE a pair of S2ex same as an original ex pair. But with the sale on which makes the price difference not a huge amount, I can see the comfort and task of changing the driver and crossover being diminished to save money. When I upgraded my S1's two S2's you ended up with all the parts left over, woofer, tweeter, and crossover. I took 2 of the 3 sets of parts and put them in some cheap Bose 201's I used for rear surrounds in a 7.2 system as I listen mostly in multichannel stereo. The Bose were so cheap I didn't mind cutting out a larger hole for the tweeter and such and it makes them SO MUCH BETTER of a speaker it was a worthwhile way to use the nice parts removed in the upgrade. I still have another pair of S1's as my side surrounds and have thought about upgrading those to the S2ex but then I would be back to 3 extra sets of drivers and crossovers. I may just buy a pair of S2ex to replace the S2's front right and left and then rotate the Raal 90 degrees for the side surrounds as the cabinets lay on their sides, then move the S1's to the bedroom or sell them outright to recover some of the costs. I've been a fan of Daves speakers for quite awhile now, can't afford the towers but REALLY want to try some of those S2ex. AAARRGG......upgradeitis attack.......:laugh:.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I have one myself and and am very much looking forward to testing it out on a new Ascend rig this coming spring, along with Steve's Jim Croce DCC and CSN ones. Cannot wait.

SteelyNJ and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Seeking_Holo

Seeking_Holo Member

Just take the parts and put them in another box approximately the same volume as your Sierras. They won't be damped as nicely as the bamboo, but they would make some great speakers for an additional listening area. Sierras in a Garage???...... why not

6. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Forum Resident

Just received the 2EX in an ongoing process of WFH office upgrade lol. I'm usually not too much into bookshelf speakers but am seriously impressed with 2EX. And I'm coming from my GoldenEar Triton Reference which is a Stereophile Class A floorstander.

timind, Grateful Ed, cut-out and 2 others like this.
  7. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I too am looking closely at the 2EX as an upgrade from my Denton 80th's. I didn't see the information on Ascend's website describing the differences between the "standard" and the "domestic" cabinet. I noticed the magnetic grills on the domestic, and the different port hole flanges. Are the ports at different heights between the two? Hard to tell from the photos. Do the standard and the domestic measure the same, sonically? With the standards $200 off right now there's a $400 difference between the two options. I really like the magnetic grills, but for $400? I should probably contact Ascend, just thought I'd pick your collective brains. Thanks!

8. Grateful Ed

I can’t imagine Dave would have his cabinets measure differently sonically, but I’d be curious to hear his answer if you contact him!

mike catucci likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Below is how he describes the differences between the Chinese and US built cabinets when asked on the forum ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    33na3rd, mike catucci and Grateful Ed like this.
  10. aunitedlemon

Thanks. I sent him some questions last night and he had already replied by this morning. Here are the questions I asked and his reply.
    >What are the primary differences between the "standard" and "domestic" options?
    The differences are purely cosmetic, aside from the fact that the domestic cabinets are built right here in southern California. Both use laminated bamboo, there are no performance differences between the 2 cabinets. The domestic cabinets use magnetic grilles and the finish options are different than the standard cabinets.
    You can see the cosmetic differences on this page, just click on any of the images to see a high resolution version.
    Sierra-2EX Photo Gallery
    >What's the difference in the port between the two? It looks like the port may be slightly higher on the domestic?.
    The port tube on the domestic cabinet has a larger external flare but the inner diameter of the port tube itself is the same as the standard cabinet.
    >Do the standard and the domestic measure the same, sonically?
    They measure exactly the same and there are no differences in performance.
    >I'm fond of the bi-wiring capability on my Denton's. Is it possible to get the 2EX's bi-wirable? Is that unreasonable/inadvisable/unnecessary?
    We can do it, there would be an additional $75 charge per cabinet but honestly, it isn't worth it. Bi-wiring has no audible benefits. It was something being pushed and recommended by speaker wire manufacturers to simply sell more cable.

The standard 2EX seems like a steal at the reduced price. Very tempting!

11. Grateful Ed

Go for it! You may have already read my earlier comments, so I’ll just say that every day I’m still thrilled with my 2EXs. At the reduced price they’re an absolute steal.

mike catucci likes this.
  12. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident

Looking into the Sierra 2EX as desktop speakers. What amplifier would compliment these beautifully for this use?

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Did I miss something? Are the new cabinets built overseas?

14. Davey

Not sure what you missed, the domestic cabinets are built in the US, I think southern California, that's why they cost more.

15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I know they haven cabinets built in the US but I wasn't aware Ascend also have cabinets built overseas, if that's the case. Or were the comparisons to overseas cabinets in general (i.e. other companies who have their cabinets built overseas vs. companies who build their here. Also: Ascend is a CA company, yes.)

Sorry just trying to clarify.

16. Grateful Ed

Ascend is using cabinets made overseas for some speakers. I can’t remember if this started with the Sierra-2 or the 2EX. I’m house-sitting right now, but when I get home I’ll look at the port flare on the back of my Sierra-2 (upgraded at home to EX) to see which cabinet it matches.

Regardless, Dave’s says there is no audible or measurable difference between the cabinets.

17. Grateful Ed

I haven’t tried a bunch of amplifiers, but my NAD C 316 BEE V2 at 40wpc drives my 2EXs with plenty of volume sitting 10ft away in a decent sized room. You could probably get away with less power for desktop purposes.

Have you considered the Luna though? Same RAAL tweeter, but they are smaller, front-ported and may be better suited for a desktop. The 2EX is not necessarily a small speaker and needs some room behind it (at least 12” ideally) for the rear-ported design.

bdfin, Tim S and Bill Mac like this.
  18. Davey

OK, though I don't really understand the confusion. They offer the Sierra 2EX speakers in two versions, standard finish or domestic finish. The standard finish cabinets are imported (apparently from China) while the domestic finish cabinets are made in the USA. The person a few posts above was saying he could get the standard cabinets for $400 cheaper than the domestic versions now so was asking about the differences.

* Domestic cabinets match our Sierra Towers, Horizons and Lunas' featuring cabinets proudly Made-in-the-USA!

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I believe Ascend has been using speaker cabinets from overseas (China?) for some time. The switch to cabinets made in the US started with the Sierra Towers I believe. The biggest difference visually is the inclusion of recessed magnets to hold the grilles on. It's a much cleaner look if one is using their speakers with the grilles off.

AlmanacZinger and Grateful Ed like this.
  20. aunitedlemon

The "standard" cabinets are made overseas but the speaker is still assembled in California. The "domestic" cabinets are made in California.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I wasn't aware that Ascend had more than one type of cabinet. I thought they were all made in the US, so the info that they have some cabinets made overseas was news to me. I guess I need to make double-sure I order the one I want next time I buy.

22. aunitedlemon

The "standard" and "domestic" option only seems to be an option for the Sierra 2EX.

What size room are 2EX owners using theirs in? Do you team them with a subwoofer or no?
    I ask because one of the reasons I'm looking to replace my Denton 80th's is that I feel they're lacking a fullness in the ~19' x 21' room they're in. As if they're a bit under-gunned in this size room, and I do have a subwoofer in use. At higher spl they feel like they're working hard to fill the room. Never fatiguing to my ears but they don't come across as effortless. I don't blame them for the inadequacies of the room they're in but they leave me looking for a larger woofer that might move this much air with greater ease.
    Are the 2EX capable of filling a medium/large'ish room with ease?

23. Grateful Ed

I use mine in a large open room (I call it a 14’ x 20’ room but beyond that is an open kitchen as well). No subwoofer, and I don’t feel like I’m lacking bass for the type of music I listen to (mostly 60s/70s Beatles Dylan Stones etc. - no electronic or classical). And I’m only using a 40wpc amp. The 2EX can handle 150wpc..

I think your Yamaha amp and Rhythmic sub would be a great match for a pair of 2EXs.

aunitedlemon and Bill Mac like this.
  24. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident

I spoke with Dave from Ascend and he assured me that the Sierra 2-EX would be the better speaker. However, I'm still wrestling with what amp to choose to drive these. The market is oversaturated haha!

Grateful Ed likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that the Sierra-2EX is a better speaker than the Luna. But did Dave F. indicate how the Sierra-2EX would perform as a desktop speaker? Seems like a rather large speaker to use for near field listening.

The Luna’s are the perfect surround speaker with any of our ribbon speakers as fronts, or for someone seeking the ultimate desktop monitor.

Luna RAAL Ribbon Tweeter Bamboo Cabinet Mini-Monitor

Ascend Luna - 10.625" x 5.75" x 6"
    Sierra-2EX - 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5"

bdfin and Grateful Ed like this.