Asking for Help - Dealing with My Father's Classical LP's - Are They of Value

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by John B, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

I have hundreds of classical LPs that were purchased in the 50s/60s/70s/ 80s. Is there any value to them? How would I find out?

Thank you.

dee likes this.
  2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Discogs.com

I have found they sell fastest for me if I toss anything that shows any marks at all and then group them by Series / Label or Artist and then list them in bulk lots on eBay.

Or, create an account on Discogs. Wade through them and start a collection w/ Grades. Then you can list them there.

Best of luck. Shame so many of these are unwanted these days.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    latheofheaven, dee and John B like this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

Put your post in another thread perhaps?
    Check the vinyls :) visually for clear, obvious scratches.
    Know who the composers and orchestras, conductors, soloists are...
    Record labels, deadwax...
    What Guitarded said!
    Good Luck with the records...

latheofheaven and John B like this.
  4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

Thank you. My father was an active collector and would spend much of his pay on music. He purchased the Solti Ring set, which cost a week's pay. He would have wished to pass his collection to his grandchildren but they have no interest.

latheofheaven and dee like this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

With classical you gotta get them started when they are real young ;) I had them listening to Debussy and Ravel before their Babinski disappeared :D

Unfortunately with classical on vinyl most people (including myself) want quiet vinyl which means play grading even cheap records, and like most things vinyl related (maybe more so with classical) the vast majority is low value with some high value ones of interest to collectors.

John B likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, so that box is likely sellable. Think RCA shaded dogs, Mercury Living Presence, and EMI UK in the ASD series for starters. Decca UK pressings, and Then London blue-backs (light blue back covers. These are the collectible major labels. And then there are plenty of small runs and smaller labels. I fine stereo much more in demand than mono. Look at completed items for each LP on ebay and put a post-it note on your cover with this price (provided your copies are as clean as the ones being sold.

John B, dee and chazz101s like this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh and its absolutely essential to be able to remove an LP from its jacket and inner sleeve without creating even the mist surface marks, scuffs and scratches. Most LPs go from MN to VG+ or less not from play wear but from handling. The inner sleeves must be pressed open during LP removal so as to not grind any dust or paper sleeve into surface. This is not easy for someone not used to LP handling.

Older US cardboard jackets are prone to splits with an effort to put hand into cover to remove LP. That “pop” of a seam split with take an LP price down $10 to $15 easy.

So much to go wrong with handling classical LPs for selling.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Some yes, some no.

Best places to check for prices:

1) ebay (sold items only - but worth checking any current listings as well)
    2) Discogs
    3) Popsike

Hundreds of records will be easier to filter though. Best thing to do is do a quick condition check. Anything less than VG+ put aside for now. Only check the ones that are in VG+ or better. Once you've done those you can check the others if you are in the mood.

Only problem with selling to a shop is I can't think of any shop that would take classic records in Toronto. Perhaps BMV books might.

Some classical records fetch a lot of money so if you have the time and there's a chance there might be some rare ones in there, it may be worth it.

John B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.