Astrud Gilberto

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Some more pix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

frightwigwam, wwright and caio vaz like this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

She also recorded the theme to Malamondo for one of her early Verve albums, under the title "Funny World."

4. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Yeah i like her sound! But i really really love her ex husband, João gilberto, maybe my fav brazilian musician. As a brazilian, i could recomend you the girls that influenced her, like Sylvia telles, Dolores Duran, Maysa, and others.

5. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Astrud's best overall album is probably The Shadow Of Your Smile, in my opinion. Nicely arranged songs engineered and mastered by Rudy Van Gelder.

For those interested in the work of Wanda Sa/Wanda de Sah, the excellent Brasil '65 compilation (with De Sah, the Sergio Mendes Trio and Rosinha De Valenca) is still out there on a variety of labels and titles. The Capitol Brasil '65 LP and the Tower LP The Sergio Mendes Trio -- In The Brazilian Bag! are identical in both content and running order, as is the Curb CD entitled The Best Of The Sergio Mendes Trio And Brasil '65.

De Sah also released a solo LP on Capitol entitled Softly! with excellent arrangements by Jack Marshall, which I highly recommend (excerpt below).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I like her a lot.
    Lovely, dreamy, breezy music

Beach samba, The Astrud Gilberto album are my favourites

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

I have at least four if not five comps on this thrush; Lots of overlap, but I keep finding them on my CD hunts in the wild. Rock fans might dismiss them with wrinkled noses, but I adore her covers of "Light My Fire" & "Beginnings". As for vinyl, I find plenty of the earlier efforts, but "September 17,1969" is proving an eternal challenge. I secured an internet sharing of the album to tide me over until I do.

8. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I personally enjoy that album, I also find "Light My Fire" charming. I bought the only LP copy think it set me back $25-30 but it was a yellow label DJ promo copy in great shape. I may have to take that for another spin this afternoon

9. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Both are great albums!

10. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Astrud Gilberto sings Girl Fom Ipanema in Japanese!

frightwigwam likes this.
  11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Aside from the Getz recordings, I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do (1969) is my favorite. The Astrud Gilberto Album and The Shadow of Your Smile from 1969, and Gilberto Golden Japanese Album from 1969, also stand out.

It's too bad that she didn't do a Bacharach/David album, as far as I know. Her voice was a good match for the music.

"Trains and Boats and Planes"

12. speedracer

Am I assuming correctly that The Golden Japanese album is all sung in Japanese? I gotta find this record

phillyal1 and frightwigwam like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about bossA nova samba cd comps ?

14. frightwigwam

Yes, she learned the songs in Japanese and seems to adopt a Japanese accent or inflections. It's fantastic.

You posted her Japanese "Girl from Ipanema" above; here is "Mas Que Nada" from the album.

15. frightwigwam

From 1965, I mean.

16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

This is in my "rip box". I also have an ex-girlfriend who is Astrud's much younger doppelganger.

[​IMG]

17. speedracer

Nice! Thanks. Gotta love the shakuhachi styled cliche flute instead of the sax. More like The Girl From Hiroshima, she certainly was a bombshell:

UMMM . . . nevermind . . . Astrud's Golden Japanese record is 150$ and up in RareMart.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Sneaky Pete and frightwigwam like this.
  18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love her work with Stan Getz, and some of her other albums are good too. She was a vocal stylist and could deliver a certain songs very effectively. Girl from Ipanema sounds a little melancholy when she sings it.

19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

That music is the coolest, sexiest music ever made.

Devin likes this.
  20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've been listening to quite a bit of her the past year or so. There's still a few albums I haven't found yet so it's always nice to find one to add to the collection. I'd really like to find that Japanese one but even the cd is pricey now.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Haven't heard all her albums, but 'Look to the Rainbow' is solid, and part of its charm is its brevity.

Her version of 'Ponteio' (from the Turrentine album) is much better than Edu Lobo's (the writer).

Though she leaves a lot to be desired technically, I guess that's not why you listen to her - she's great at just conveying her personalty, and a certain friskiness or whimsy, depending on the song

22. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I love love love her voice. There's nothing better than turning off the news and turning on this....

23. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I wish she had an album by album thread. Maybe she does and I haven't stumbled upon it yet. Burt Bacharach needs a thread as well.

The Silver Beetles and Ryan Lux like this.
  24. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

would love to see a recent photo of her as well

25. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I was going to go OT with this but thanks to your post I'll raise you one... if you want to hear one of the best female voices ever, it's Lani Hall(Mrs. Herb Alpert).
    This is on my TIDAL playlist and I play it almost every day coming home from work. It's a freaking swinger!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZBiqK0p9E

speedracer and frightwigwam like this.