AT-LP120 Channel Issues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pifficus, Dec 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pifficus

Pifficus New Member Thread Starter

Greetings,

Recently, I noticed that my AT-LP120 left channel RCA cable was on the fritz. No audio was getting to my monitors. I went through all logical steps; switching left and right channel to confirm that, it is indeed, the turntable. Using a multi-meter, I tested the center pin to the outer ring on the left channel and I was reading an overload on resistance, hence the circuit is open. I tested the centerpin/outer ring of the L-channel to the end of the white/ground lead to reassure myself it wasn't just the RCA cable that was bad. It was not giving me any sort of open circuit reading.

I then checked the tone arm connections. Everything here checked out as bueno. I went back to the little integrated circuit board where the RCA leads are connected which holds the phono/line switch. Everything here seemed to check out as normal, other than the lead ends between the L-channel white and black ground coming from the RCA cable.

I'd rather not purchase a whole new table and I'm willing to make the fix myself if I could get some backing on my thought process.

Let me know what y'all think.
    Pifficus

2. Pifficus

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Check the cartridge. Is the cantilever bent perhaps?

Sorry for the late reply. I think as a new member your post takes a while to show.

Welcome to the forum!

4. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Check the pin contacts between the headshell and tonearm. Make sure they are clean and the retaining collar is screwed on tight.

Lucca90, patient_ot and Leonthepro like this.
  5. Pifficus

Ended replacing RCA with no luck. Problem still persists.

I’ve checked the contact points and they’re nice and clean.

I opened up the table again and tested the points between the Left channel lead and opposing points on IC board to find OL readings on my multimeter. When testing the same points but now on the Right channel lead, I’m getting a nominal resistance reading.

Could it be this integrated circuit board?

[​IMG]

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Image is not showing for me by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.