AT VM540ML Unusable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, Sep 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

They do with dirty records dude, it's insane. Someone blamed the micro fiber cloths for creating the kind of fibers that wrap around the stylus, I think he was speaking from experience.

2. Oscillation

It's not so bad, I realign them and then balance them, it takes me maybe an hour and a half, then I play an album side (20 min). Sometimes when one side is in worst condition then the other I will repeat the process before flipping it over.

JohnQVD and Big Blue like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ha! You got me, I’ll admit it…

Oscillation likes this.
  4. Oscillation

That's the scary part, it would seem to fit in perfectly here :D

LivingForever, trd and Big Blue like this.
  5. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

The albums I was listening to are some of my best sounding vinyl. It may have been the case that the stylus picked up a bit of crap on one album and it exasperated the problem by then picking up more and more. I've never had this problem before. I've been going through my record collection with the VM540ML doing a survey and weeding out some I no longer want, and the VM540ML peformed flawlessly, until it suddenly didn't :)

6. Rattlin' Bones

Yes fuzzy dust. That's what I got. I think it was maybe one glob that then started picking up more and more like a snowball rolling downhill.

7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

After 5 lp's mine had some crud on it. imo they were clean. This stylus digs deep, it is why it sounds so good.

Rattlin' Bones likes this.
  8. Rattlin' Bones

Seems to be somewhat consistent experience the 540 ML picks up crud even on "clean" records.

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The stylus is the same as on the VM95ML. Your results are hardly "consistent experience" with anyone who actually has clean records and maintains them. Quite the opposite, based on anecdotal evidence posted here and other audio forums.

10. Mario Umpiérrez

Mario Umpiérrez Forum Resident

This friend is an old time DJ so his records are super filthy

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Ingenieur

I'm not talking gobs, just a little dirty.
    One wipe with AT stylus cleaner and all is good,
    Did not affect sound, only looked at it because of this thread. :D

12. Mario Umpiérrez

Mario Umpiérrez Forum Resident

It is great isn’t it? ;):D:cool:

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It they were never wet cleaned, then I'd suggest a good deep wet cleaning.

Big Blue, csgreene and bluemooze like this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I discovered a copy of "Pancho and Lefty" (Haggard and Nelson) in a stack of records I bought from a friend a couple years ago. When I pulled it out, I saw that the needle would clean it if I didn't. So, on the turntable (GR), I heavily spritzed with my mostly ISP (99% ISP) to a bit of distilled water mix and used the AT 6012 to do the initial work. I spritzed it again using my Parastat. Finally, when it was dry, I gave it a light going over with my CF brush. Played it and it was even cleaner and quieter than I expected. Played the side through a second time (great album!) and looked at the stylus. Clean as could be. Did the same routine on the B side. People can do whatever they want but I know what works for me. Then again, I brush the stylus (back to front) after almost every play, dip it in Mr. Clean's magic sponge every few albums, and dip in blu-tak maybe every dozen or so albums. Not to say there's no wear at this point nearly two years later, but under my 10x loupe, the stylus looks clean and pristine.

I think I'm going to use straight 91% or even 99% ISP once my spritz bottle is empty, No real need for distilled water and the record will dry faster. Some my be horrified, others know why this works so well. I used to do the wet clean at the sink, tried a Spin Clean (returned the next day), and don't have enough dirty records to justify a vacuum machine. This method works as I've proven to myself dozens of times now. I love the old Parastat brush from England and have two. Part of why my own personal records going back, some more than 50 years, sound as good as they do. The AT6012 was another revelation. The CF brush? Not sure but I've never experienced any of the horror stories a few have claimed. It does indeed pick up stray dust on otherwise clean records easily.

Spin Doctor and Phil Thien like this.
  15. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

You often don't need to. Often a carbon fiber brush for five spins or so, followed by a misted (distilled water and/or alcohol) cloth or velvet pad to pickup the line made by the CF brush, will clean them right up.

Like @csgreene I'll use alcohol and an Audio Technica 6012 pad if I'm attempting a deeper cleaning. But I'll often still use a carbon fiber brush after to do a final cleaning of the groove.

macster and csgreene like this.
  16. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Like others here, I think it’s the records.

I have run into this this problem from time to time. When I clean used records I have purchased, I use a decent record cleaning fluid, then I resort to extensive rinsing. I end up with a good rinse using distilled water. Finally, before playing, I use the before mentioned AT brush/cleaner. I don’t why, but it really does the job.

None the less, at times I have to clean my stylus with a brush because of gunk between tracks. I think it’s just the result of a very dirty record.

And, it’s hard to tell when buying. A seller can wash off the outward dirt and make the vinyl shine.

17. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

I have the VM540ML and totally love it. I recommend investing in a Vinyl Vac. It won't break the bank and will do an excellent job getting the dust, dirt, and grime from deep within the record's grooves. I also use a brushless stylus cleaner like the OnZow to occasionally remove dust buildup. If you really have that much dirt and dust deep in your grooves, then you're only compromising sound quality by seeking out a stylus that won't pick it up.

Lenny99 and macster like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

All of my records bought used needed a deep wet cleaning to get every single bit of dust and every grain of dirt out of those grooves. Nothing less would get EVERYTHING off and out of those records.

19. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

A lot of people wet clean brand new vinyl. There's no way I'm going to play a used record without wet cleaning it first. Brushing or whatever just doesn't cut it.

bluemooze, Big Blue and RTurner like this.
  20. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I had that Audio Technica brush, I think it was that model, got it fronBest Buy, and the fibers from the brush were like a magnet for my 2M Blue. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, and much of my vinyl was new. Got a magnifying glass to view the stylus, and it sure looked like the blue fibers from the brush (or maybe they were black). I ended up getting a Record Doctor vcm for $200, and it’s been money well spent for me. Every record new or used gets a wet cleaning. Takes about 2 minutes a record, new clean sleeve too. Then I seldom clean that record again. Never get gunk on my stylus now. I tend to give the needle a quick touch of the magic eraser, and that’s it. Everyone has to find what works for them, but I do agree with others here, these records need a thorough cleaning to get the most out of this cart.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And yet nothing like this has been reported by those of us who use this pad (AT 6012) the way we've described how to use it correctly. Your comments are suspect. I have NEVER gotten gunk on a stylus from my records in 50+ years of playing them. NEVER. Some people simply don't seem to know how to clean records other than with a vacuum cleaner, I guess. :shrug:

Phil Thien likes this.
  22. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

lol. Sorry you find my comments suspect. My experiences were just that, what I experienced. I just now went to my audio room to see if I still had the brush, but I couldn’t find it, think I threw it away. For the same $20 I bought a Record doctor brush Record Doctor Clean Sweep Brush-Audio Advisor . It works well with a wet system, not a similar design to the AT. Doesn’t shed at least. Maybe my AT brush had something wrong with it, do they make different designs? I’ve heard similar complaints from the similar Discwasher brushes too, that they aren’t like the original ones, that I had back in the 80’s. It’s all good.

macster likes this.
  23. Ingenieur

Just ordered the AT6012 pad based on the consensus around here that it works, and works well.

Lenny99 likes this.
  24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, you’re not even sure what brush you had so...

25. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.