AT-VM540ML vs AT-VM740ML?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Blue, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve searced and found only brief mentions of a review that compared these two cartridges, but no members actually saying they have compared them (apologies if I am just missing it).

Does anybody actually have experience comparing the two, and have you found differences/preferences between the two?

I use a VM95ML currently. I love the ML stylus, but when it is time to replace it (a ways off, but I do reach the expected lifespan of styli relatively fast, so I’m just thinking ahead), I may be curious to see what one of the higher-up MM AT carts has to offer. From what I can tell the only difference is the housing material, correct? Any opinions on how that affects the performance? I am not so much concerned with whether the 740 is “worth” the extra cost over the 540 (they’re not really that far apart in the grand scheme of things) as I am with whether the 540 might actually somehow be preferable. I understand that’s subjective, just wondering if there are any such subjective opinions out there.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The 540 and 740 have a different generator design than the 95 series. The biggest difference is that the compliance is totally different on these, they are ideally meant for lower mass tonearms, so 10g or less whereas the 95 series can work better on a heavier tonearm and are medium compliance rather than high compliance (by today's standards). They will work on medium mass tonearms but you may be borderline on resonant frequency when you measure and get something like 7hz. Not ideal, but may work okay depending on your record collection.

Between the 540 and 740 weight and material of the housing is the only difference. AT has been making that basic generator design since the early 80s if not earlier BTW. I have an old Signet cart that uses the same design, made of silver colored aluminum rather than the plastic of the 540 body.

Leonthepro and Big Blue like this.
  3. Big Blue

I am aware of the compliance difference from the VM95, and it’s certainly on my radar as a consideration. I’m not as concerned because I now have a KAB tonearm damper, but I don’t take that as a license to just disregard compliance altogether. If anything, I do think the weight difference between the 540 and 740 may push me toward the 540 if I do go with one of these (assuming the new Technics arms are the 12g effective mass they are commonly thought to be, something I have not seen Technics actually publish anywhere).

My curiosity between the two is mainly whether the aluminum housing has any real sonic advantage over the polymer. Whether any such advantage would be negated by the extra weight on my arm is probably important to take into account, though.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Gotcha re: the damper. I would stick with a light headshell also, even though you have the damper. RE: sonic advantages, doubt it would be anything you would be able to discern in a blind test. I would only get the 740 if you need the extra weight on the cart body for some reason. Again, this is coming from someone that has a metal-bodied AT. With the 500/700 series generator, you will get slightly better stereo separation because of the center shield plate in the body. Frequency response will not be quite as flat as the VM95ML, and you may find it to be a little more sensitive to capacitance (not a concern with your phono pre) when you run FR tests.

Heckto35 and Big Blue like this.
  5. Big Blue

Yes, I would likely use the stock Technics headshell for that cart, given the higher compliance.

I have had the same thoughts/curiosity regarding the frequency response. It seemed there were members here posting that the 95 was measuring flatter than the 540, suggesting AT made some further improvements in that area when developing the VM95 series. It’s very possible I will stick with the 95, but this is one of those areas where you don’t know what else is possible unless you try it. Other members with GRs seem to like either the 540 or 740, but I don’t know if they have tried a VM95 to compare. It’s entirely possible I’ll find I like the budget option better, of course.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I loved my old Signet cart with the 440 stylus mounted, but it had to be loaded down to get it flat. Whatever benefit the "better" AT generator design had though, I find I don't really miss when I use the VM95ML as my daily driver now on a different TT. You may feel differently though.

The stock Tech HS is probably a good idea, that and setting your Accession to the lowest capacitance setting, and using low capacitance cabling from the TT to the phono pre. You should be good to go that way with either the 540 or the 740.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Maybe you'll get someone to weigh in that has actually used the 540 or 740 - or better yet both and compared!

Sounds like you are already aware that they use the exact same stylus (VMN40ML), the cartridge body is different. What's nice about the 7xx series body though is it is a great match if you ever decide to try the 750sh or 760slc stylus, the are the same series.

Now, that being said, AT styli are highly swappable / compatible across lines -- and that includes older with newer too. For instance I have tried my 150sa shibata on a newer 440mlb and it was fine, couldn't really tell a difference compared to the 150 body.

I own a LOT of AT cartridges (both MM and MC)...... so many that I can't justify the 7xx too! Besides, I still think the 150MLX is better with the boron ML cantilever - though I have never compared it to the 540 or 740, I have to the 440mlb and the 150 mlx is better --- and the 440 is very close to the 540 in spec and from reviews I have read.

I will say this - if you start getting tempted by the 750 or 760, compare it to a 150MLX in both quality and price. You can still find 150MLX new, I have bought two in the last few months.

8. Where'd you get your 150MLX? I do see a few of them in the $470-479 range. I'm thinking about getting it as I have a AT440MLb I need to replace and just bought the VM540ML and don't care for it as much as the 440, so I'm returning it and either getting another 440 NOS or (most likely) paying more and getting the 150MLX. Thanks!

Hendertuckie likes this.
  9. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

So I'm a little confused. You stated you like the AT440mlb, but not the VM54oML? There is literally no difference between the two other than the model number and the color of some of the plastic parts. What exactly do you not like about the VM540ML?

The AT150MLX does have a more advanced cantilever and may track better. My experience has been that the AT440mlb, VM540ML, VM740ML, and the 150MLX all sound very similar when installed on my SL-1200G. The VM740ML may provide better shielding and control resonances a slight bit better, but whether it is enough to make a difference in your application and to your ears is debatable. The AT150MLX cantilever does seem to make a difference, but again this is dependent on a number of factors. These are all excellent moving magnet cartridges. I tend to prefer the boron cantilevers regardless of diamond shape. Beryllium is better, but those are no more in the new offerings.

Heckto35 likes this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'd be interested to know if the VM540ml is really near identical to the 440mlb. I debated forever going from the 440mlb to the 540 or 740 last year, finally settling on the 740 so I could try the Shibata down the road.

If the 540ml is really the same as the 440mlb, here's my impressions last year:

So after living with my VM740ML for 5-6 weeks I swapped back in my old 440mlb. It’s hard to say it’s apples to apples because the 440mlb probably has 1000 hours on it.
    My impression is that the 440mlb is brighter. Its brightness never bothered me because I like the detail from it and in my modest system it was never too harsh. But after getting used to the vm740ml, it is definitely not as bright and a little better at rounding out the lows, a little more mid for a little more natural sound. The vm740ml still brings out all the detail I loved and an excellent tracker. Not a major difference but I definitely prefer the vm740ml. I was happy with the 440mlb and I’m really happy so far with the vm740ml

I will say that about 10 hours into the vm740ml was a weird couple of days where it seemed the mids seemed to take over and it almost seemed muffled, made me a bit nervous. But by 20hrs of use it settled in nicely.

Not sure if the 740ml is worth the price over the 540ml. But I wanted the cart so I could try the shibata stylus down the road.

When its time for a replacement, I plan now to get another VMN40ml stylus. I'm very happy with it, sounds like the Shibata despite the higher price can be fussy and not that much better. I probably will get one soon, move my current stylus onto the 440mlb cart and use that as a back up, when people are over, casual listening, and use the new stylus on the VM7 body for more concentrated listening.

Heckto35, punkmusick and Optimize like this.
  11. TheVinylAddict

I bought one 150MLx cartridge plus one spare stylus from a fellow board member who had some extra stock. Glad I did, it was impeccable and as advertised. I've been told he is out of stock now however.

Who are you seeing that has stock of these still?

12. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

13. TheVinylAddict

That is stylus only........ then you can get it cheaper if you go to LP Gear directly........... like 335 and $65 cheaper for the stylus than at Amazon.

BUT it's LP Gear -- I bought one of their AT-150MLX for $470, but unfortunately I personally would not recommend them to anyone.... especially for a discontinued MLX. YMMV, buy at your own risk. I hope you don't have any issues...................

quicksrt likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

Realize also if you buy LP Gear on Amazon, you are really buying from LP Gear, just at higher prices to cover the Amazon fees.

The item is still shipped directly from LP Gear (not Prime, not fulfilled or stocked by Amazon) --- then the Return process if you have issues is still through LP Gear and NOT Amazon Return Centers --- look closely, you have to get an RMA from LP Gear and ship it back to them --- just like if you bought direct.

So there really is no reason to buy it from Amazon in this particular case, you just pay more.

But either way it is still LP Gear. Buyer beware. With all the bad experiences out there, I am not sure why anyone would take a risk.

15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

What’s the knock on LP Gear? I’ve bought from them many times over the years and the only negative thing I can say is their shipping speed to NJ is slow.

16. TheVinylAddict

Well, I have a thread about an OC9 purchase on the forum now that you can read.

For another issue I had with them (coincidentally on the 150mlx) I will send a PM to you in the morning instead of cratering the thread.

I will say in summary I am one who has shared many purchases with board members over the last couple years, and many of those big purchases with pics. Never really posted any problems --- you have to figure me taking the time to point this out to others is because it is pretty blatant --- I have never in my 56 years experienced customer service so poor. I was warned by others "they are OK as long as you don't have an issue" -- and boy were they right -- the thing is I never had issues with other cartridge sellers either, and I have bought many. It's interesting that I had TWO cartridge issues with ones purchase from LP Gear.... resulting in the NEED for customer support in the first place. That has never happened before and I have bought 25+ plus cartridges in the last three years.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  17. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I don’t doubt for even a second that you and others have had problems with LP Gear (and, by default, LP Tunes, purportedly the other name under which they operate). I was, however, unaware that their reputation was so poor as to make it a high-risk venture to place an order with them. As I said, aside from relatively slow shipping speeds, my transactions with them over the years have gone smoothly. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky. Fortunately I’ve never found a need to initiate a return or exchange.

18. TheVinylAddict

No undoubtedly you are in the majority, without question most have a good experience. I have been unlucky.... but a company in my mind is measured by how they deal with problems too. That is what sets some companies apart from others. Anyone can pack a box and ship it.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  19. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

There is a German test with measurements. That gives the VM500 a edge over the VM700:
    "
    The Audio-Technica VM740ML in the hearing test
    [​IMG]
    Mahler's 5th Symphony, recorded by the Vienna Philharmonic under Leonard Bernstein, is an outstanding work, especially on LP. Sonically a challenge for the playback chain (Cover: Amazon)
    As the largest of the sampled pickups, the Audio-Technica VM740ML had to compete with the next smaller model, the540ML - and could by no means excel in all respects. The sink in the presence area made itself clearly noticeable: The Audio-Technica VM740ML looks more discreet, perhaps finer, but more distant, less dynamic, less threatening.Mahler's Symphony No. 5 with the Vienna Symphony Orchestra under Leonard Bernstein sounded wonderfully complex, but less lively than with the 540s. Both of them were beaming and sparkling with the wind players. Both samplers met the sounds almost perfectly: one nobler, one more robust, more authentic.

This is also the case with New Lore , the new album by the US singer-songwriter Sean Rowe: The beautiful timbres offered both, the peculiarities of the voice, the overtones of the guitar ( "I'll follow your trail" ). But in direct comparison was - at least in the interception chain in LowBeats listening room, the 540er clearly superior, although the 740er bribed with a much more generous room image.

The comparison to the comparably pricedOrtofon 2M Bronce positioned the 740er even clearer in the rather fine, restrained category. The Ortofon goes off like the fire department and also leaves behind the 540er far behind, the Audio-Technica VM740ML is always trying to overview - and it also preserves.

One last comparison, this time with Yello:Toy also sounds fantastic as a LP. And even here, the 740ML has the disadvantage over the 540, which impressed with a much better structured bass, with which it is even the most highly accurate

[​IMG]
    Record cover Sean Rowe New Lore (Cover: Amazon)
    Ortofon brought in distress. The 740 has depth and warmth, the slimmer 540 is still the precision and fun.

Conclusion Audio-Technica VM740ML
    The technical similarity between the Audio-Technica VM740ML and the smaller 540ML is great - it's just the same needle slot with the elaborate and comparatively sharp MicroLine cut. All the more astonishing is the discernible sound difference. The 740 is the cultured, unobtrusive variant to the livelier 540. There are certainly some situations in which the more restrained gameplay of the 740s is the better alternative. But with linear chains - and with a largely neutral room acoustics - we definitely have to recommend the VM540ML."

Here is a link to the test and the graphs. It is just to enable Google translate:
    Test Audio-Technica VM740ML: die noble Art zu Hören - LowBeats

20. The Dragon

I find that article slightly entertaining. The measured differences can easily be accounted for by minor setup and alignment differences. Everyone does understand the entire stylus assembly of both the 540 and the 740 are EXACTLY THE SAME part, right? Electrically, both cartridges should be very close (accounting for manufacturing tolerances of the coil windings). Another footnote is that you can interchange stylus assemblies across the entire VM line. (i.e. use a VM760 stylus on a VM540 cartridge and vice versa).

Sterling1 and Heckto35 like this.
  21. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

I am not an expert.
    "EXACTLY THE SAME part, right?"
    Yes, but if we take a far simpler example is a wire with two conductors each of them has a separate insulation. And the distance between the conductors in the cable. And also the distance from the conductors to a shield if it has one.
    Is two factors that influence the capacitance in a simple wire..

With that insight. Maybe the coils capacitance in the VM700 cartridge is influenced by the shielded cartridge body?

I'm just speculateing. Maybe some body knows more.

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. The Dragon

Audio Technica claims the metal bodies of the "VM700 series" helps to control resonance better. That may be. Another is the metal body will provide better shielding from stray electromagnetic interference - theoretically.

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. A/B'd them and worse channel separation was the most obvious, and the specs are worse on the VM540ML.

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. LPGear and LPtunes both have them listed as being in stock.

25. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

All I ment is that if you put the coils near some metal as the body in the VM700 then just that can result in different electrical properties of (capacitance) the coils. :)

Heckto35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.