AT-VM540ML vs AT-VM740ML?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Blue, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident Thread Starter

The one benefit I could see is that anything purchased through Amazon has their A to Z guarantee, so you ultimately always have recourse (I’ve had a refund processed that way when a seller was unresponsive). Worth the markup, though? I guess that’s up to the buyer.

2. Big Blue

That’s the claim, and I guess the crux of my original question is, has anybody here used both and found the VM740ML to actually be better in any perceptible ways? I’m not really taking that German review as the last word, though it is a decent argument in favor of the 540 being perfectly fine compared to the 740. I’m also not sure what to make of them throwing a “similarly priced” (not here!) 2M Bronze into the mix. It almost seems like in their comparison between the two AT carts, they’re throwing in two sentences that suggest a 2M Bronze is better than either one? I guess maybe it’s a European price difference, but the 2M Bronze should be better, it’s $190 USD more expensive than a 540ML (though I think AT may be one of the better performance-per-dollar cartridge manufacturers, so perhaps they are worthy competitors?). I just don’t understand them mentioning a third cartridge at all, unless they’re going to actually give some review details about that third cartridge.

3. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I've had my eye on the VM540ml lately, is it a good fit for the Rega P3 or Mofi StudioDeck (which if you go with the Studiotracker cart is less $, rumored to be a AT cart, but not sure which one it is most similar too.)

4. Big Blue

I was at one time considering a MoFi UltraDeck, getting it without cartridge to keep it more affordable, and then use an AT cartridge. The mass and compliance specs of the MasterTracker are similar to the VM740ML, suggesting the MoFi arm can match the AT, so I would be inclined to think a StudioDeck with a VM540ML gets you a much better stylus on that turntable for only $100 more than if you got it with the StudioTracker (which is a bonded elliptical stylus...). Maybe there is some advantage to the MasterTracker over a 540/740ML, but it sure appears it could be just a marked up copy with a stylus you can’t replace. It seems to me a StudioTracker with a 540ML may be a great value compared with getting one of the MoFi carts included.

IRG likes this.
  5. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Not sure I would make the assumption the Ortofon Bronze is "better". Different, yes. Remember, the reviewer is on a European site. Why wouldn't they bring up the local guys? I agree with you that the AT VM540ML is a high value cartridge.

Heckto35, macster and Big Blue like this.
  6. Big Blue

Makes sense. I just don’t think they would usually be compared at US prices, since they’re significantly different price points, though in performance/stylus profile, they could be in the same class.

7. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

FWIW, I like my VM740ML vastly more than my Ortofon 2m Black. I'm not sure price means much.

Heckto35, Springy, mudan and 4 others like this.
  8. mudan

mudan Active Member

Well I've moved from an Ortofon 2M Blue with Silver body to a VM740ML and I'm very pleased! Fitted today and wondering if it will 'run in' and change later too.
    I considered a 540ML but the 740ML is only slightly more expensive and I wasn't going to go 540ML just because of one review. The 740ML technically has a better body and officially can take the other two styli later should I please.
    It also looks better than regular plastic black but some may like it to be less noticeable. The 740ML has several good reviews online if you hunt around.

9. mudan

mudan Active Member

And now my vinyl can finally hold a light to compete with my CD+DAC set up. I'm very pleased. Star of the show : VM740ML

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ummm, no. An Amazon purchase is covered by Amazon's return policy - at least for every purchase I've made, and all the items I've also sold on the site. I'm an 8 years seller there and 19 on ebay. If you want to return an item you are encouraged to click on return request on the AMAZON site and not be confused or tricked into going around their internal procedures unless something major has happened with regards to third party sellers. Their policy is in place for a reason. Use the site the way it is designed to be used.

I have never seen any indication on Amazon nor ebay being a buyer or seller that you are on your own with regards to returns, or even the question of returns. In fact, if things go south for you with a purchase, and seller does not reply rather quickly (through the Amazon site), you simply get your refund (from Amazon), and they will then take it up with the seller in question, and it won't be pretty for the seller.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I'm thinking about a new cartridge to replace my goldring g800 (lovely lush orchestral sound) on my new technics 1200gr.
    How are these AT carts for classical music, and what would sound best on my stock technics arm? Looking for a wide soundstage with a lot of detail, the opposit to a 2m blue if that makes sense...

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

Also, the ML alone makes it "better" than an elliptical.

13. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I say go for it. The 740ML is great for all types of music. As well as great detail and high frequencies to make you drool.

clevice likes this.
  14. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Thanks I'll keep it in mind!

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

Hi there. I currently have a thorens 126 with alphason delta arm. This arm has effective mass of 15 gr. (it has been rewired by previous owner with van den hull cables, so i dont know if this has changed, i assume perhapsbit is 1 gr lighter?
    Anyway, i am looking at vinyl engine resonanse evaluator.
    Cartridge Resonance Evaluator - Vinyl Engine
    ?eff_mass=15&submit=Submit
    Vm740ml has a compliance of 10 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz) and mass of 8 gr(is it without the washers and screws? If yes, how much do these weight?)
    So withvthese i can see a freq of 10hz. Isnt that good? So why do i read that vm740ml needs light arms? Is the comoliance false? I read something about japan and eurooean compliance measurement differences. If so, what is the real compliance?
    Of this not a nice match, what other microline stylus cart would you recommend for me that has medium comoliance to work with my arm? Thank you

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That calculator is only meant to take Western style compliance numbers @ 10hz.

It won't work with Japanese 100hz style compliance numbers.

It is not possible to accurately convert 100hz Japanese compliance numbers, no matter what anyone says.

We know from measurements that the the 540 and 740 have a Western style compliance ~23 CU.

On your 15g tonearm, you are looking at resonances of ~7hz

While it may work fine with a resonance that low, it is on the low side and if you are concerned about it, you can get a VM95ML, which has a stiffer suspension and will be more of ideal match for your 15g tonearm.

The Western compliance of the 95 series is around ~12-14 CU.

porotikos likes this.
  17. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

thank you so much my friend. i will search for reviews for the vm95ml. i hope it is as nice as the 740 ml. If anyone has other suggestions for my 15 gr arm please do share. i am much obliged. whichever cart i searched, is incompatible with my arm...

patient_ot likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I use the 95ML myself as a daily driver for over a year now - on my second stylus. I would recommend it without reservation to most people here. It will work very well on a 15g arm with low capacitance at the phono preamp.

It will sound a bit different from the 540/740 - more accurate frequency response. Those other carts have a 2dB+ boost in the treble at common loading.

porotikos likes this.
  19. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

Thank you so much. Still i will try to find more options to choose from, but this suggestion is highly appreciated and will be carefully thought for

patient_ot likes this.
  20. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

@patient_ot i have a last question my friend. i am checking specs of 95ml and vm740ml. both show a 10 compliance (measured at 100hz). so, shouldnt they have the same compliance at 10hz? or is the compliance measured at 100hz something general that has no real value? i am really puzzled

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You can ignore those Japanese style specs. They mean nothing.

The compliance is what I said it was before.

~23 CU for the 540/740

~12-14 CU for the 95ML

We know that based on measurements, because AT does not provide Western style compliance specs.

22. I own both and tried both. When the moment came for a stylus change for my VM540ML as I had some money to spend I thought "why not try the VM470ML?" which I got form Amazon and I could return if I didn't like it and just buy a stylus.
    The VM740ML has been for around a month in my Goldring GR-1 TT (with some improvements, like a 2 Kg glass platter, a full aluminium subplatter, a silicone belt...) and 'though I think the 540 sounds great I like the 740 best. The differences I notice is a more relaxed sound and not so "in the face" as the 540, it doesn't seem to emphasize any frequencies,it sounds more linear to me (this may mean flat or dull to some), it has a more tight and controlled bass, and a slightly better imaging.
    They both sound great in their own way but I prefer the more relaxed sound of the VM740ML despite playing a lot of Hard Rock records.

23. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Capacitance? umm...no. The metal between the left and right channel coils in the 700 series may provide better shielding from noise, and possibly isolate the L-R channel coils from inductive coupling for better separation.

Kiko1974 and Heckto35 like this.
  24. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

My dear friend i got vm95ml as per your suggestion. all i say is wooooooow. this slays the denon right away. without any break in. i am amazed. thank you so much my dear friend. cheers

Diapason, 33na3rd and patient_ot like this.
  25. On the VM740ML there's a metal plate between the two coils to improve channel separation. Look at the picture.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.