AT-VMN95ML keeps collecting crud no matter what

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jesseinnyc, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Micro types especially since they have much more contact area and reach much deeper.

luckybaer likes this.
  2. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

When do you clean your stylus? Most people I know clean the stylus before they drop the needle, so essentially they clean it every side. If you leave the stylus uncleaned, all the dirt and oils will harden. That's why it's important that you stay on top of it.

3. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

What do you use to dry the records after you Spin Clean?
    What is a disc washer? Is that one of those black-fiber in wood handle things where one sprays the LP and wipes it with that thing while it rotates on the platter?

I used to use MoFi brush (some kind of black microfiber thing) to the records while using my Okki Nokki. Those "brushes" left so much black fiber waste on the record - I could see fibers on my stylus, just like you. I noticed a lot of black fibers left in my Onzow Zerodust. Although it doesn't sound as bad as your situation, I still got rid of those MoFi brushes and switched to goat hair brushes.

4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I think the advice we were given 30 odd years ago(!) was to use it on the cartridge dry, but to clean the pad with the liquid every now and again.

If using liquid, it is the cartridge manufacturers advice that needs to be heeded, not the manufacturer of the electronic stylus cleaner! A couple of manufacturers forwarded very high resolution photographs of damage which they put down to use of liquid. They are absolutely forensic like in their investigation, but liquid damage in coils, loosened styli and sheared cantilevers from rust is real, so you have to be very careful what you advise and sell.

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The ML stylus easily picks up gunk and fibers. It's good to have a loupe and wet cleaning solution and brush. Here are my suggestions, inexpensive but as good as anything else. I own and use these.

This is the "60x loupe", under $10 from a US seller on the auction site. Even Fremer reviewed this in a 48x version and liked it. (Check the listing to make sure it includes batteries and storage pouch.)
    [​IMG]

This is the Vinyl Styl Stylus Cleaning Kit, around $15 on the auction site or elsewhere. A perfect brush and a good cleaning solution. Normally you can use the brush dry, but using the solution on the brush will get stuck-on gunk off the stylus. The bottle cap includes its own brush - you take that out and paint a bit of solution onto the real stylus brush. That is a glass bottle holding the solution.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Not trying to throw shade but a Spin Clean and Discwasher don't do anything I'd describe as thorough.

Big Blue, aorecords and bever70 like this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Initially when I bought a DISCO-ANTISTAT to clean my records, I used the supplied liquid. I also use AT carts.

After playing a side it the stylus dredged up some right old gunk from it. Played second side and the sound started to fade half the way through as the stylus had some much junk on it. It was like an off-colour/yellow looking gunk.

Binned the supplied liquid and made my own ever since, since then I get none of those issues.

It could be your mix

8. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Big Blue likes this.
  9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And yet, many of us have been successfully doing this for decades without any issues whatsoever. I should add that I use 99% alcohol cut with distilled water in a 75/25 mix. I also usually just mist my brush as my records are already clean.

Randoms likes this.
  10. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What's going on is the Discwasher fluid is creating a semi dry sludge which the stylus is picking up and the sludge is sticking to the stylus thus your records sound bad. Trash the Discwasher it is a POS. Then, Spin Clean your LPs again and clean your stylus with A-T liquid stylus cleaner. It is necessary to use it to get the sludge off of your stylus. Trust me on this. This is exactly your problem. Oh, those fibers, that's from your clothing, pulled to the record from static and mixed to the Discwasher fluid creating the sludge. I put some of the fiber my stylus was picking up under the scope to discover it was from my bath robe.

ubiknik and Spica like this.
  11. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Crikey! You guys would have a field day if I told you how I clean records.
    :hide:

Diapason likes this.
  12. jesseinnyc

jesseinnyc Member Thread Starter

I had a gut feeling this could be the issue. The Discwasher fluid seemed increasingly suspect, and I may have been dropping the needle too soon after applying it as well.

13. jesseinnyc

I use the cloth that came with the SpinClean. No good?

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I bought a SpinClean. I thought it was garbage and returned the next day.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

There you go.

16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

There's no doubt about it. The fix is easy; but, you must use the A-T liquid stylus cleaner to get the crud off the stylus safely. A brush will not get it off. Also when you Spin Clean use distilled water and rather than wiping the records dry, let them air dry. And let them air dry longer than when they appear dry. This is because if there is any remaining static charge on the record and it's where water is entrapped that pop will become permanent.

17. Leonthepro

What do you mean about the last part? Why would a pop be permanent from static?

18. jesseinnyc

I do use distilled water, but this all makes sense. Just let them air dry on a dish rack or some such thing?

19. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The static explodes the water, damaging the record at that point. That is why it is necessary to let the record dry.

Leonthepro likes this.
  20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes.

21. Leonthepro

Say what now? Ive never heard of this, can you elaborate, perhaps link some source?

22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I'd be glad to link if I could remember where I got the information. When I learned about it I began to let my new records dry for a day before playing them. This procedure eliminated the occurrence of pops being created, while using the Spin Clean process to get rid of static, usually requiring 2 to 3 spins.

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Well, Id like to know too, because I dont wait that long. Straight wet playing records doesnt cause constant pops though.

24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I used to think the new LPs I was buying were just plain defective, pops galore. After reading about static explosions, I changed my method of Spin Cleaning to eliminate static, meaning letting the records dry thoroughly; and, this eliminated popping that I had been associating with record defect. Now, my new LPs, which are Spin Cleaned, are mostly pop free from the start, or become static pop free after 2 or more cleanings.

25. Leonthepro

Im feeling quite skeptical about that, could be nice to maybe buy a cheap one and test it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.