At what point does a system provide the benefit of a 45rpm over 33rpm vinyl record??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BWichmann74, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

None of what you are saying is valid.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ouch! Nothing?

Rockin' Robby and ashiya like this.
  3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Breaking up classic rock albums into 4 sides just doesn't work for me. I think it kills the momentum of the album. If it's the same mastering offered on the 33 version, that's what I want. I do have some 45rpm classical LP's though and it seems a lot more music happens on each side..and they sound awesome.

fishcane, jheyesen and cporcp like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, had to run. I'm back. You cannot compare different masterings to judge a 45 vs. LP. It has to be the same song cut by the same person at two different speeds. When I say that the 45 is louder, I'm comparing it to the 33 of the same thing, cut by the same person in the same way. The 45 will be 2 or 3 db louder maybe, but that's it unless they change their mastering style for one speed over the other. I never did that..

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I did say there was more going on than just the difference in RPM a couple times. I’m not saying 45 alone makes anything inherently better but It does seem very serious people choose 45 when they are trying to make the best possible product. Perhaps that’s what the market demands because of the perception of better sound?

6. Steve Hoffman

Today's vinyl mastering is much more dynamic than in the past. This means that sometimes the quiet parts of the music get closer to the noise floor of the vinyl. When a few db of extra volume is possible at 45, the noise floor can get away from the music more. Sometimes a bigger groove is an advantage in dynamic music, sometimes your stylus will just slip around in it. Can't really know. Nonetheless, I have many modern 45 sets and I like them fine. I prefer the old speed, same sound, less getting up and down. Breaks the spell of an album side at 45 sometimes..

7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Your turntable is faster to look at and watch it go round

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

So would I be wrong to read this as "45 RPM is better (or can be) for more dynamic mastering"?

I think the takeaway for the OP might be the RPM of records isn't the variable that makes one pressing inherently better than another. His question would then become "at what point should I be able to hear a difference between pressing?" I would say that is more a question of learning how to listen and experience than what he needs to buy But...he has nothing listed in his equipment profile so this is all a bit pointless.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

He lists his equipment in the first line of the first post.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fair point. I’d say it’s more than enough to hear the difference in pressings.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Thank you! That is a big pet-peeve of mine. There's a flow to albums and I really dislike breaking that flow. To me, it's like being told a joke and the person telling it leaves for 10 min, then comes back and continues the joke. The payoff isn't as good because of those breaks.

I never personally heard a noticeable change (not volume-related) between 33rpm & 45rpm versions but something tells me if I did, I wouldn't even bother unless the change was so significant that it'd be night & day... which it isn't.

Jrr likes this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Never heard the Doors albums better than on 45's. Maybe it just the mastering, but I don't mind playing 4 sides for that kind of sound quality.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It’s a great way for Mofi et al to charge you $50 a pop for a short record from the 70s or 80s.

Texado and ultron9 like this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Money well spent (imo).

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

I much prefer the sound of the 45s I have, and since my table is a manual, I have to sit right there anyway. Getting up is no problem whatsover. Also some great songs now have their own side, sounding better than ever to my ears !

ultron9 likes this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

To answer the OP question, yes you have a very nice system which should absolutely be able to demonstrate the differences across pressings, including 2x45 LPs. And good enough to get a lot out of them for your listening pleasure.

That being said, the higher up your system goes the more you will get to the full potential of what the medium can do.

BTW and for the record, I am on "Team 45" :)

17. Chris Schoen

I needle-drop them to cd-r, and don't have to deal with the vinyl, if I don't have the time. The needle-drops smoke the cd's of the albums that I have. It's a "win-win"...

ultron9 and Lamus like this.
  18. Myke

That's wonderful for you, thanks for sharing.

19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't get hung up about the 45 rpm thing, just like 180 gram vinyl or even AAA at this point. I've had stunning stuff that was made at the low point of vinyl in the early-mid '70s and digital recordings that sound wonderful on vinyl.
    I do remember commenting a few years ago here that the 45 recut of Sonny Rollins' Way Out West had a center image that was not apparent on the 33 cut- our host cut the 45 with KG, I think the 33 was done by Doug Sax, so comparing two different things. The 33 had that pronounced hard panning typical of some early stereo. The 45 had a center image.
    That said, I did buy quite a few of those 45 rpm audiophile recuts when they were issued. Some, which are out of print, have gotten quite expensive today.

ultron9 and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I was wondering if there are any other albums that are on both 33 and 45RPM releases cut by the same engineer at the same time?

All I can recall is the Analogue Productions 33RPM (2015) and 45RPM (2012) cuts of Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out by Bernie Grundman. From the few posts I read from those who reviewed both, some people prefer the 45RPM release. However, I'm not sure how fair one can assess both cuts given the time it was produced by Bernie Grundman from 2012 to 2015.

Bill Hart likes this.
  21. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you all for your posts - very much appreciated!!!!!

I’m learning a lot and understand that an apples to apples comparison is not so simple because you need a comparison where everything else is exactly the same except the cutting speed and I imagine the options to do this are limited.

This also explains why there are many differing opinions as this becomes almost completely a subjective matter.

And if there is any confusion to my original post it is really simply Whether or not there is factual evidence that a 2x45LP has an audible advantage over a 33LP and if there is a point where the quality of ones setup is inferior and doesn’t allow for these differences to be appreciated. Like all of us I don’t want to pay more and be inconvenienced if there isn’t a clear advantage.

It appears that since most titles that are offered in both formats aren’t a true apples to apples comparison than things like vinyl quality, mastering, cutting, pressing quality, etc all come into play and so each offering ends up a case by case basis.

22. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting, when cutting 45’s the overall level of the content is raised and the noise floor stays the same?

This seems like it would be an advantage for sure as your actually hearing more content. (Small as it may be I guess)

It’s like visually looking at a glacier. If you can lower the water level (or I guess in this case “raise” the glacier higher in the water) you get much more visual content.

23. Steve Hoffman

You're not hearing more content, just louder. Same everything else as long as mastering style is the same. Noise floor is always the same no matter what. See?

Tsubaki Sanjuro likes this.
  24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

So Steve are you saying there should be no difference between the 45RPM vs 331/3 assuming same mastering,etc?

25. Steve Hoffman

Only in volume. I don't know how else to say it. If you're hearing a big difference between a 33 and 45 of the same thing mastered by the same person after matching volume of both, their mastering moves are different for each version. That is all. Perhaps with a wider groove one will dare to add more top end or whatever. Not my thing, ever.