ATC pricing (new, retail), US vs. UK, SCM 19v2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mled, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There would be no need to stipulate 'in store only' if the deal permitted out of region sales!

2. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

Call them and name your price :)

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Even if that happens, the price won't drop a dime.

Hifi Kenny likes this.
  4. mled

mled Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this discussion. I think it’s an interesting one.

I want to to make absolutely clear that I am in no way passive-aggressively trying to paint any manufactures or distributors, retailers or anyone for that matter in a bad light. I am truly just curious about the pricing on some products that have rather large price differences compared to similar brands that originate from the same country.
    I can understand that smaller manufactures using independent distributors don’t or can’t hedge against currency fluctuations, as was pointed out in a previous post, but many businesses do and that can’t be the reason the price is so much higher. Also, I looked up the duty on speakers at hts.usitc.gov (harmonized tariff schedule) and it’s 1.2%. Page 37 here -
    https://hts.usitc.gov/view/Chapter 85

HiFi Kenny’s example is interesting, so it appears that it could work in some cases. I suspect though trying to get the VAT refund on your own after purchase might be a hassle, so the dealer would have to be willing to ship and handle that.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

FedEx International shipping was around $100. The VAT was automatically deducted once I entered my address on the online form.

6. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Did you call Analogue Seduction before placing your order? I snagged my Rega bargains from other dealers online. I called each firm to check them out before purchasing from them.

Looking at their website, AS have a remarkably large range of brands and products on offer. Given with your very positive experience, it's a firm that I would not hesitate to deal with.

7. action pact

I did not call, but I had some positive email exchanges (they were very quick to respond) and I of course researchd their reputation. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from them again.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That's weird. Last year I used my wife's FedEx account to send a champions T-shirt and a few magazines on the Golden State Warriors to my brother-in-law in the UK. Everything fit in a standard FedEx box, and we're talking only a few pounds in weight. My 'reduced' shipping rate was $40+, but the 'real' rate according to FedEx was $150+. After several failed attempts to deliver, my brother-in-law received his package and was very happy. Several days later, FedEx and UK Customs decided he needed to pay 43 pounds in tax and duties on goods that were $50 total. Why? Because they consider the shipping cost to be part of the price, and they worked with the 'real' cost quoted by FedEx. If I had known this in advance, I would never have sent the package that way (some gift!).

I'm amazed that the shipping on a pair of speakers could be so low.

9. action pact

I just double-checked what I paid to Analogue Seduction, and my memory was off on the cost of shipping:

£915.83 - speakers (no VAT)
    £166.67 - delivery charge
    TOTAL:
    £1,082.50 (= $1,393.31)

The duty charged by FedEx was around $25.

10. SWD

SWD Active Member

Precisely, I ordered my ATC 19 and C1 subwoofers in the US from the UK and saved nearly 50%. Shipping $100 and modest import taxes. However, one sub did not work and I ended up having to pay $400 for the repair. Still a much better deal than buying from US distributer.

Mad shadows likes this.
  11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Ok....as a dealer, here is my somewhat limited knowledge input.....Likely a pure numbers thing. My guess is that while Harbeth enjoys a relative healthy market here in the US, ATC is somewhat limited in overall sales rate. As such, the US importer is figuring in things holding stock costs, shipping costs, advertising costs, warranty/repair costs, and of course...profit, and factoring in the markup from there. With a likely lower sales rate, the ATC importer "needs" to have a higher price point then someone like Harbeth (or Rega, KEF, etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.