Atlantic 40th Anniversary CD - 1958 - 1977

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Once in a while (a very rare occurrence these days!) one comes across a CD or album that shocks you for it’s sonic quality because you were just not expecting what you heard.

DCC’s Underground Radio did this for me a month or two ago. Yea, I should have been expecing wonderful sonics, considering the source. Silly me!

Today, I found another one in a local mall record store (well… would you believe CD store?) and I thought I’d share it with you. And perhaps Steve would like to comment on this as well.

Hit Singles 1958 – 1977
    Atlantic 7 81909-2 Released in 1988.

1) Bobby Darin: Splish Splash
    2) Bobby Darin: Mack the Knife
    3) Nino Tempo and April Stevens: Deep Purple
    4) The Rascals: Good Lovin’
    5) The Rascals: Groovin’
    6) Sonny and Cher: The Beat Goes On
    7) Buffalo Springfield: For What it’s Worth
    8) The Rascals: People got to be Free
    9) Dusty Springfield: Son of a Preacher Man
    10) Blues Image: Ride Captain Ride
    11) Stephen Stills: Love the One You’re With
    12) Robert John: The Lion Sleeps Tonight
    13) Brownsville Station: Smokin’ in the Boys Room
    14) Average White Band: Pick up the Pieces (did you know these guys were Scottish!?!)
    15) England Dan and John Ford Coley: I’d Really Love to See You Tonight
    16) Hot: Angel In Your Arms

This amazed me! Great stereo separation, clear, natural vocals (my new speaker cables probably helped: Thanks again Dave!), very natural! The way music should be! But here is why:

Mastered at Atlantic Studios by Sam Feldman
    Reissue produced by Bob Porter

Steve, did Mr. Porter share a secret or two with you? Are there still people in Atlantic that follow Bill’s philosophy? This is such a great CD!!!!

PS: And here is a snippit from the booklet notes that just cracked me up (by Ken Barnes, Radio and Records: Stephen Stills, on a 1970 sabbatical … ….articulated the deeply romantic sentiment “(If you can’t be with the one you love)” “Love The One You’re With” a top 15 hit and an enduring inspiration to monogamists and church groups across the land.

This just broke me up! I Had tears in my eyes! My wife thought I’d lost it (AGAIN!) :D

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That's a keeper! Got that one years ago. :agree:

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I bought a used copy of this Cd a month or so ago based on Steve's off hand positive comments in an earlier thread about something else. I was not disappointed.:)

4. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Gary,

Good find indeed! You may also wish to keep an eye out for the Atlantic Rhythm And Blues 1947-1974 series that Bob Porter did. I believe Steve commented positively on this 7 volume series IIRC! Nice FLAT transfers! Another would be: Classic Rock 1966-1988...yep Bob Porter again!The number is 7 81908-2(it came just one number BEFORE the compilation you just got!). :laugh:

Happy Hunting!!!

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've had the CD since it came out in the late 80s, along with the Atlantic Black Singles 1977-1988 CD produced by Sylvia Rhone.

They sound like honest, flat transfers to me.

Not to change the subject, but this one relates. Recently, I listened to volume seven of Atlantic's Rhythm & Blues CD made back in 1987. It was the first time I had played the disc on my current set up and never realized until now how good a job Atlantic really did on a lot of those CD compilations back the. Just thread up the tape and transfer to digital...

6. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

That's one of my favorite discs! It does bring up a question. Which do you prefer, the fading Pick Up The Pieces or the version that ends cold?

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

I use the box set for as many of the Atlantic R & B hits as I can in my recordings--great sound!

Bob:)

8. Grant

Well, the faded version is the single edit and the cold ending one is the LP version. They both have their place and I like them both.

9. Grant

You do know that they switched some mono to stereo in the 90s when preparing them for the boxed set version...

I use mono in my compilations so I tend not to use those CDs, except for volume seven, which is all 70s stereo anyway...

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I was not aware of that. I know that I really like the sound on that set.

Bob

11. Grant

Bob,

I have the first CD versions of this fine collection, which were all sold individually. The older CDs have more hiss than many tracks on the box.

I like listening to older Atlantic CD compilations to remind myself of where the industry was back then. Believe it or not, those older CDs sound better with better equipment.

12. Bob Lovely

Grant,

No arguement from me! In preparation for my recording project, last night was listening to CD's from my collection for the period 1954 through 1959. Some of the best sounding were CD's mastered in the late 80's and early 90's before "modern" mastering practices were so in vogue.

I listened to both comps and single artist CD's that I have not listened to in some time and most sounded very good. There were exceptions where the mastering or source used was obviously, inferior. For my project, I have decided to purchase the Stax/Volt box set. As I recall, many Forum members recommend it.

Bob

13. Grant

I've had this box since it came out. You won't be sorry! I think it is perhaps Bill Inglot's best remastering project ever! That box remains the definitive sound of those singles.

The best part is that those nine discs are listanable all the way through...well, maybe not "Sunday Jealous"...:D

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Grant,

Why would you be surprised about this after all this time hanging out here? Go tell 'em that over at ICE and see what happens.

:)

15. Gary

Sooooo...... for those of us that never visit ICE, what would happen? :confused:

16. Grant

Heh! Actually, I was surprised by this when I started experimenting with better interconnects years ago. Sure, better gear shows up flaws but if the remastering and source are good, it will also show up. Bad equipment will make bad CDs sound much worse. So, I could surely post that on the ICE forum, but if I did that would put me in a very advisarial position with those guys. What? Me be advisarial?:D

Yeah, i'll suggest that.;)

17. Grant

I'm about to find out!:eek:

18. Gary

Lemmie know, Soul Survivor!

BTW I ran across a Parliment Billboard (the magazine) small poster last week. Actually it's a laminated advertisement. I thought of you. Interested? PM me...

19. Grant

Well go there later and find out for yourself!
    http://www.icemagazine.com:8080/~2

Naaa! Thanks, though! :)

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

Bob, the Stax/Volt box can be found very cheap on Ebay!

21. Bob Lovely

RDK,

Thanks for the tip!

Bob

22. Grant

One thing, Steve, all,

John, a poster on the ICE forum, made the observation that the group here is a bit more interested in the nitty-gritty of the sound, where much of the ICE forum is geared more for the music lover, many of whom do not consider themselves audiophiles.

Having said that, many people get accustomed to hearing "hyped" sound. It takes effort for some people to readjust their hearing to flat (no EQ, compression) playback. Many just can't live without "hyped" sound, even if it greatly distorts what they hear. Well, some audiophiles fall into that description as well. What does this have toi do with older CDs? After being used to less than stellar equipment and maximized CDs, it may be hard for some to hear the qualities of those CDs.

There are times when I still prefer newer remasters. I also say that sometimes, boosting the level a bit using those maximization techniques may not adversly harm the sound on some music, even though that view flies in the face of everything many of us here stand for.

I DO maximize from time to time, but since this forum, I have slowly been backing off on the practice, even when making CDs for others that want louder sound.

Since both sites have a lot of great people with tons of information to share, I encourage more cross-pollenization.

Sorry Gary, I didn't mean to alter the thread, but I don't think you will mind too much, since this issue affects the mastering issue.:)

23. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I would assert that members here want their recordings to sound more "musical". In other words, I do not agree with John's ascertain about what drives this Forum and it's members. Perhaps the ICE Forum is more concerned about recordings sounding "hot" on sonically inferior audio systems or at low playback levels. Perhaps, the sound of recordings, generally, is just not as important there as the availability of recordings.

Your observations about mastering appear to be on target. Ironically, all one has to do with a properly mastered CD to make it sound "hot" during playback is turn up the volume (try any DCC Gold disc, as an example). Listening to a highly dynamic recording at higher listening levels is what makes recordings highly musical as a listening experience. Turn up the volume on a maximized disc and what you hear is a wall of over-compressed noise.

Thanks for your apology but, this Gary's thread! :laugh:

Bob

24. Grant

Uh, I fixed that. To late for yout reply, though!:)

There is ONE word I really hate the use of, though, is "musical". Define that word in audio terms.

25. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I saw where you fixed that! :)

Musical=more like the sound of live music or, in other words, with more life- like dynamic range, tonal qualities, harmonics, color, layers, textures. etc. That is the way I understand the term--musical. A maximized or highly additionally compressed recording sounds less "musical" and more like just recorded sounds made to be heard a certain way at a certain volume.

That is the best I can explain the term musical. Subjective but, we all enjoy well-mastered recordings!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.