ATLANTIC / ATCO vinyl labels and deadwax - what do the codes mean?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TLMusic, May 5, 2012.

1. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Yeah that IS odd! Guess you'll know if you have a 1973 pressing or not. That's when Atlantic changed the address I believe. Reminds me of my copy of The Steve Miller Band's "Sailor." Side one has "Manufactured by Capitol Records" while side two has the extra 1968 text "a subsidiary of Capitol Industries." But I think that's more common with that album.

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Yep, what's listed is exactly what's in the dead wax on my copy! Mine doesn't have a Gold Record Award sticker on it. (I really hate those things. They couldn't have put them on the shrink instead?!). I'm going to write the guy I got it from on E-Bay and ask where he acquired this particular copy from. I mean it looks really great and all, it's just not what I associate the cover with. You see this album and you expect to feel the textured cover. I know my mom bought the album when it came out, then she re-bought it in 1972 (along with "Deja Vu") because all of her albums were stolen. I wonder if my mom's first copy had the slick cover instead. Anyways, it's nice to have such an early pressing in such good condition. Let me know if you come across any other early slick covers.

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

I wrote the guy who sold me the copy of CSN and he says it might have come from a collection that was owned by a ABC-Dunhill executive. If that's the case then that guy probably got a first, FIRST pressing of the album, maybe in advance (though wouldn't he have received a white label promo if that was the case?). I haven't been able to find any info on the slick cover either.

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

You know I think my copy of "Deja Vu" might very well be Adrian Barber and NOT Al Brown. I have an original Monarch pressing of "Deja Vu" and there is AB in the dead wax, but it's not "aB" like Al Brown would initial with the A lower case.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I doubt Al Brown would have worked at Atlantic, and if he did, then it didn't become "aB" as it would later be as he moved to Audiospectrum and other mastering houses. But more likely the "AB" was Mr. Barber.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

According to Discogs info, both Brown and Barber worked at Atlantic.
    This is the image they give for Al Brown....so who is "aB"?

[​IMG]

Also according to Discogs:

Al Brown (5)
    An American mastering engineer

He is known to have worked at:
    Atlantic Studios
    Sound Cutting Inc.

Aliases: A. Brown, ⍺ʙ, aB, Al Brown

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  7. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Hmmmm. I don't know. I just recently learned about both Al Brown and Adrian Barber and I read somewhere on here that "aB" was Al Brown. I wonder if Al ever initialed his name "AB" in the dead wax. But I have a feeling it's Adrian Barber's initials that are on my copy of "Deja Vu." I found "aB" on my copies of Eric Clapton's first solo album (Monarch pressing), and Delaney and Bonnie's "To Bonnie From Delaney" (also a Monarch).

Peter Marchesi likes this.
  8. timothy bollinger

timothy bollinger New Member

This may be off the subject but it was the closest thread I could find to my question. I have a copy of The Rolling Stones "It's only rock 'n roll" with an Atco style label and address. It is also misprinted as The Rolling Stone. Has anyone seen this before? It has a matching matrix to the first pressing with the edition of AT and pr in the dead wax. There is also a very small arrow at the edge of the label pointing outward towards what appears to be the word "up" on the B-side. Any info on this release would be helpful and appreciated. I wanted to add pics but don't see where to add them...if anyone is interested in seeing the labels please contact me and I will email them to you.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Has anyone figured out what the symbol that looks like a W or M on its side with three dots on top of W and one dot below the W? I saw a W mentioned but no details. Is that still current?

10. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

It was on another thread, but I forgot. Sorry.. it is the identifying mark of a mastering engineer from what I can remember.

Six String likes this.
  11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

If CAP is a suffix after a matrix number, it was on 1971-72 Atlantic and sublabel LP's pressed by Capitol's Scranton, PA plant, with the 1.5" diameter pressing ring and 'IAM' inside a triangle stamped in the deadwax. Such pressings were distinguished from "Capitol" Record Club pressings by their use of original 'SD' catalogue numbers and the rim print as on all stock copies of Atlantic LP's. But Scranton wasn't the only Capitol plant to press (non-Club) copies of Atlantic and sublabel LP product; Discogs has listed a copy of Joni Mitchell's For The Roses album on then-Atlantic distributed Asylum where they had a CLA suffix (CLA = Capitol's Los Angeles plant, with six-pointed asterisk in the deadwax). Would they have used CJ for pressings by the Jacksonville plant, for "regular" copies?

And it has been uncovered that the FT suffix on labels and F.T. markings in the deadwax may well be the Fidelatone plant in Hawthorne, CA.

Also . . . an Otis Redding 45 on Volt from 1966, with label fonts from Progressive Label & Litho Co. of Brooklyn, NY displayed an RO matrix suffix on the label. It looks like the originating plant on that copy was a Brooklyn pressing plant, Romaba Records Co. 'ME' remains the only question mark at this point.

12. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

^^^Thanks^^^

Noticed this thread earlier, got about 4 or 5 pages in and was wondering if the 'FT' question had been resolved. Nice to see it in the last post.

I also have a Physical Graffiti with FT.

13. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just picked up a copy of Zeppelin's Presence. The label has MO at the end, denoting a Monarch pressing. There is a PR in the deadwax however. Does this stand for Presswell, or something else? Can't be both can it?

14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

ODShowtime and Slick Willie like this.
  15. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Thanks! I'm still picking my way through this part of the hobby, but that clears up a lot.

Giorgio likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

The Monarch will have a MR circled and delta numbers. The PR (lightly etched) appears on a lot of pressings (Atlantic related) of different plants and it's meaning has yet to be defined.

Giorgio likes this.
  17. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I think I can kind of see the circled MR on the deadwax or something close to it, but it's not really clear. The MO is on the label however.

18. Slick Willie

Here is an example (?) of what you speak of?
    This is a white label promo of Fragile, Porky mastered with Piros sign off, MR circled and delta numbers, yet has the 'PR' ...although this example is etched bolder and much neater than I usually see it.
    [​IMG]
    So, nothing to do with mastering, unlikely a pressing plant....maybe added during the(or one of the) plating process?

19. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

That's what it looks like.

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Cool, I'd take a pic of the lighter etched examples....but that one was hard enough for me to capture, not good at matrix pics am I.

21. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Wow! I never saw an Atco label from this time period. You just blew my mind!

22. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Hey Slick Willie. Last year you and I spoke of my copy of "Crosby, Stills, and Nash" and whether or not the cover had been swapped. I've come to the conclusion that it very well might have been. I now have a TRUE original Monarch pressing of the album, matte finish cover along with the original '69 Atlantic inner (that features "Lady Soul" as the first album). What tipped me off about my copy was that I took a look at the lyric insert....and found that it featured the later catalog number in the top right corner. The jacket features the original catalog number over the mailbox, and the B'way address on the bottom back cover, but I'm still confused about the slick cover. I do think the album was "pieced" together though from 3 different copies in order to make a presentable selling point. As least now I have a complete original.

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. Slick Willie

:righton:
    All is well that ends well. Your mastering....aB or AB...or a mix?

24. Johnsy

Johnsy Active Member

Hi everyone!
    Could someone explain about mothers and stampers UK Atlantic pressing?
    I have Houses of the holy UK '73 by Atlantic A2/B2. It's have 'A' and '7' stamp on both sides...
    What was the sequence? from 'A' to ... and same numbers too or not? Or like EMI 'gramophltd'..
    :targettiphat:

25. aB is Al Brown and a W (sideways with 3 Dots) is Adrian Barber

Matty Mc and baconbadge like this.