ATLANTIC / ATCO vinyl labels and deadwax - what do the codes mean?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TLMusic, May 5, 2012.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Picked this up from my local a few months ago for a few bucks
    Peter Gabriel-I Monarch
    Interesting I thought it was that it's using Canada's Just Another Mastering Facility plates. I've seen them used obviously for Rush/Klaatu for US manufactures.
    [​IMG]

superstar19 and bluemooze like this.
  2. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I recently bought the following:

Otis Redding - Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul

Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul, an Italian mono version with a peculiar yellow pattern - the first part of the title and the two lateral bands being yellow rather than blue.

The inscription on the deadwax reads "mc", written in a neat hand. Does anybody know who "mc" might be?

The record itself sounds great, punchy as any self-respecting mono should.
    I'll need to spin the recent* CB stereo version to compare but I am quite happy with this one, tbh.

*not so recent after all... 2012, "Cut from the original analog master tapes" on blue vinyl.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Methinks this thread was geared to vintage US releases.

4. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Oh, sorry! :sigh:

5. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

To be honest, the original post doesn't say it anywhere.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  6. Slick Willie

You did nothing wrong, who knows...you may get lucky and someone can help.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  7. Connery

Connery Active Member

If the photos aren't showing, it appears to be a capital S with a capital L struck through it. Making the S look like a dollar symbol $.

8. Slick Willie

Please try again on the pics.

9. Connery

Connery Active Member

10. Slick Willie

My guess is something related to plating.
    Title and year of release?

11. Connery

Connery Active Member

Alannah Myles, 1989

12. Connery

Connery Active Member

The particular release I have is a club issue (CRC). Only 2 1989 releases in the US. One club one non-club. Record sleeve states mastered at Sterling by George Marino. According to Discogs notes, the non-club has the traditional STERLING stamp in the deadwax. The club version does not have the STERLING stamp but that etching.

13. It’s alchemy. If you use those numbers you’ll spin lead into gold.

Kidding.

it’s secret messages.

Connery likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

You're stingy on info... but if a US non club.....is this the one?

• Matrix / Runout (Runout A): STA-897281-A 1-1 STERLING SRC
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout B): STA-897282-A 1-4 STERLING SRC
    Pr club?

• Matrix / Runout (Side 1 Etched): STA-897281-1B G1 (M) SL B7
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2 Etched): STA-897282-1B G1 (M) SL B4

15. Connery

Connery Active Member

Yes, STERLING being non-club. (M) SL being the club release. Photo earlier attached is of that "SL".

16. Connery

Connery Active Member

17. Slick Willie

If a club, then not an Atlantic release. More than likely it's whatever plating company the club used. So, that thread won't help.

18. jbintenn

jbintenn Forum Resident

Great! I usually lean towards anyone that pushes the boundaries towards the 'hotter' cut. Duly noted. And ABrown 'hotter' cuts of Allman Brothers, CS&N or Blind Faith? I'm in.

I'd also love to see if he cut any of Atlantic's R&B/Funk/Soul stuff from back then. For example, I think Archie Bell and the Drells' "Tighten Up" LP would have been before Mr. Brown joined Atlantic but I understand that is one 'heck' of an LP in terms of sound. I believe ABarber did the Atlantic cut based on the 'W' with three dots scribings matrix info listed on Discogs. But I will have one or two copies of that LP very soon and so I was steering away from Columbia's mastering/pressings until I read this thread. In other words, if it is entirely possible that ABrown could have cut the Columbia master version, then it may actually be the more aggressive cut in sound of that album versus the Atlantic cut.

Anybody done an A/B comparison of AB & the Drells's "Tighten Up" Columbia versus Atlantic cuts? Thanks.

19. Slick Willie

I have not compared, but I looked at Discogs and it doesn't look promising on the Drells. Matrix looks like a Columbia cut and that means odds are its from tape dupes. I doubt if Brown cut at Columbia during this time as he worked at Atlantic.

jbintenn likes this.
  20. jbintenn

jbintenn Forum Resident

Okay. I guess I had my dates mixed up. I was under the impression that it was considerably AFTER this album("Tighten Up") that Brown would have made the move over to Atlantic. My bad. Well, that settles that. I'm going back to my original stance. "Stay clear of the Columbia cut on this one." Thanks very much for your expertise, Slick Willie! Always appreciate you (and this wonderful forum, Mr. Hoffman!). You guys truly are the best!

BTW, (a 'mere reflection' moment here, if I may ....)........I don't get on here as much as I should(although, I do have a handful now of threads, for better or worse, that I've initiated over the last few). But I must let everyone know that I have relied heavily on the expertise of those individuals(like you, 'Slick Willie', who frequently 'roams the halls' of this great forum) on 'many a Google search' over the years. So much of my time here, therefore, (during my reflection just now) apparently has been spent, I would say, much more 'offline' as it were than 'On'. And so it will be during those searches that occasionally that I may feel compelled to 'jump-in', as was this case. And so as I am just noticing now that I now have earned an '11 year' trophy award as a member of this incredible forum (for which I proudly display on my 'online e-mantle') that I realize how extremely grateful I am and also just am very humbled by it all! So, let me take a moment to wave and say 'Hi' to everyone (since I don't get on here much), and a hearty 'Thank You' to everyone for your most valuable contributions YOU have made over the years. I hope to continue to occasionally run into you 'roaming the halls' and also, some of you , at an AES conference down the road. ( for example, I plan on attending the upcoming 'AES Conference on Audio Archiving, Preservation and Restoration, June 1 - 3) in Culpeper). :wave:

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  21. Slick Willie

:wave:

jbintenn likes this.