Attempt to rescue tape of Super Bowl 1

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can this work? Summary recap for those who don't know. For decades, both TV broadcasts of Super Bowl 1 were thought to be lost and gone forever as both NBC and CBS showed the game and then wiped the tapes. The prevailing sentiment was that if a copy ever did turn up, it would be worth a million dollars. Well, someone did find a copy that was recorded at a TV station and saved. The NFL then offered the guy $30K . So, essentially the value dropped $970,000 from when it didn't exist to when it did. After all, the NFL is only a multi-billion dollar business, so how could they afford that price. Only for the most significant telecast in their history. Anyway, someone has the idea to raise the money and free the game from video jail, where it now resides:

'Napoleon Dynamite' producer wants to release only known copy of Super Bowl I

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Flurple the NFL. They just want to screw the guy and make millions more. I have the NFL Films DVD of the thirty minutes of highlights, but would love to see the full game. It would be cool if there were commercials included.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
    EdgardV likes this.
  3. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

4. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

From what I understand, it’s missing a quarter or something like that.

The NFL is awful. Offer him 100K, or a percentage of sales or something.

5. John54

John54 Senior Member

If this year's game is a Packers-Chiefs rematch, interest might increase substantially ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.