Attention, Negativland fans!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Jun 14, 2017.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Yup!
    A live recording from the last tour MP3 is a 'goodie' I really want!

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Honestly I don't think their stuff has ever been more pertinent. Don was downright visionary about where we were headed and now here we are. If we are going to slouch towards Dystopia anyway, it's nice to have Negativland along for the ride.

3. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

Got the CD as well. I think #622. Also, the cart I received with OTE #9 was titled "Wang Tool Loop". Wish I had a cart machine to hear it!

tonylevin'ssuitcase and vince like this.
  4. Holerbot6000

Oh God - I wonder if it was that Wang Tool sound effect that made Don sound like he was on an iron lung. I think you can hear it on Timezones, but I might be mistaken. That was a little creepy. Cool memento though!

vince likes this.
  5. vince

HOLY COW!
    On this week's "Over The Edge", Wobbly talks to the actual lady who they sampled for "Fourth Of July" !!!
    :yikes:

6. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Do you know how many time zones there are in the Soviet Union?

RobRoyF likes this.
  7. vince

Power..power, power, power...

Johnny Action and RobRoyF like this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Ooh I may have to listen to that. That is an incredible performance and speaks volumes as to where we are as a society. Social media by gunpoint. I guess it's no secret who she's voting for. Thanks Vince!

9. vince

Listening to it now....and, you'd be surprised!
    Remember, that 'rant' was from back in 2012...!

10. Holerbot6000

oooooh - I thought it was a freshie. That's ancient history now! :laugh:

11. vince

It's funny...DON discovered it, and played it on the "OTE" ep. that aired that night Obama won his second term.
    Something told me to save that episode!

12. vince

[​IMG]

Negativland
    4 hrs ·
    OVER THE EDGE
    "Third Of November"
    Shelly Dankert interviewed by Jon Leidecker
    Broadcast October 29th, 2020

One of the most popular tracks from Negativland's 2019 album "True False" is "Fourth Of July" -- and tonight we interview our inadvertent lead vocalist, Shelly Dankert, on the eve of the eighth anniversary of her viral youtube rant reacting to Obama's re-election. Anyone hoping to hear an argumentative takedown of our guest will be disappointed. Given that the only campaign that followed her advice won the following election, this NeverTrumper is here to remind you -- it's never been about him. Wanted: Tongue Parasite. Patriotic interjections from Rita Pavone, Shad O'Shea, Marc Andreessen, Kendrick Lamar & D'Angelo build to excerpts from a 2019 concert by Negativland, recorded live at London's Cafe Oto (and introduced by a foreign Man whose true name we must never learn). Good luck, everyone.

http://www.detritus.net/…/OTE…/OTE20201029.3rdOfNovember.mp3

OVER THE EDGE
    "Beatle Hell" (Rerun)
    Negativland & Big City Orchestra
    Broadcast October 22, 2020 (Original air date 1984-05-21)

Over the Edge - October 23, 2020 | KPFA

OVER THE EDGE
    KROB
    Broadcast October 15, 2020

Over the Edge - October 16, 2020 | KPFA

Original premiere of "Fourth Of July":

Three Great Things: Negativland

"Secret Win" lyric illustration by Dan Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw

[​IMG]

AHH!
    You see? I was WRONG! It WASN'T DON! It was KROB!
    Still...Kudos to Wobbly & Shelly for being so cordial with each other!

13. Holerbot6000

Great interview - that's what they used to call 'Civilized Discourse'. Definitely need more of that these days...

vince likes this.
  14. vince

While the majority of the place is yakking it up about the new McCartney..
    Meanwhile, in this little corner of the forum, the NEW NEGATIVLAND ALBUM IS ON IT'S WAY TO MY HOUSE!!!
    :goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

15. Holerbot6000

Oooh thanks for the update Vince! I actually don't even have access to a turntable right now but I believe they are including a download version this time. I hope so. I have been listening to the stuffing out of True False lately. 'Certain Men' need to pack up and go away! :righton:

16. vince

yup. They even gave the option of LP or CD. I chose the CD, but, we'll all get a download, not only of the album, but, a download of the Cafe Otto show!!!

17. vince

Seems the COVID will make the LP version delayed, but NOT the CD!:goodie:
    The 'one-of-a-kind' prints are really nice! Suitable for framing!

18. vince

Got the downloads in my e-mail...
    Hope you got yours...
    Plus, Wobbly's got a different live show on the latest "OTE", plus an old interview.

19. Holerbot6000

I got the notice of the delay BUT I also got the links to the downloads so I am gooooood. I know what I will be listening to this weekend. :righton:

I also got wind of more info on that Negativland doc. It's called Media About Media About Media - I've seen comments from people who said they participated in the funding campaign but never got any of the advertised perks and the project was only ever about 40% funded. Also Negativland themselves never seem to have mentioned it. And yet, it is apparently uploaded to Vimeo and is over two hours long. Maybe we should ask Mark about this...:shrug: Curioser and curioser...

vince likes this.
  20. vince

My favorite track (so far) is "Failure"!
    It's got a good beat, and I can FAIL to it!

21. vince

While listen to Vicki's 'guest-DJ' show this morning, this guy's blog/radio-mix was brought to my attention!
    Four Decades of Negativland

22. Holerbot6000

Did Vicki Bennett guest host OTE? I have to say, her last album was one of her best. I haven't loved the song manipulation stuff she has been doing but she nailed the last one.

I've finally gotten a chance to listen to the new record. Basically it sounds like the second half of a double album, True False being the first half. It doesn't quite have the grabber moments of True False but it's fun. The Weatherman continues to be in good form too. This one actually reminds me a lot of Big 10-8 in that regard, with David sounding very playful.

I hope they keep going. We need them now more than ever.

vince likes this.
  23. vince

On their FB page, they mention that Laurie Anderson included a few of their songs on her 'Meditation Mix'!
    Solstice Eve Sound Meditation - Laurie Anderson

Don't know how long SHE'S been a fan, but, it would be fun to imagine her and Lou listening to Negativland albums!

24. vince

About a year (or so) ago, there was a Wobbly/PLU set for OTE, but there was a collaboration, back in the early 2000's with Don!
    I think you can find it on Vicki's Ubuweb page!

25. vince