“Audio bargain of a lifetime” a deal you just couldn’t refuse.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 12, 2021.

1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

My current turntable (a refurbished Garrard 401, done by Classic Turntable in England) was sold on eBay - I matched the minimum starting bid, figuring it wasn't really going to happen. In one of those eBay oddities, no one else bid for it, so my bid was the winner, AND the sale happened during one of those rare 20% off eBay promotions. If only I'd bought Lotto tickets the same day...

2. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

A collection of about 1,600 classical LPs in near-mint condition owned by a professor of music history--the entire sweep of Western music. Offered to me for free. I did not refuse.

Ere, Old Rusty, Twinsfan007 and 21 others like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My first McIntosh, a MA 6100 last year model. I still have it, but one which didn't have trouble. Free but not cheap. McLover at his best.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Marantz 2235b $3.00

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

My mint 1985 Cornwalls in Walnut. Came with original boxes, brochures and receipt. 600 bucks. Though more like 900 after the 7 hour drive to pick them up. They are literally like brand new.

6. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

Last year Adorama was blowing out Polk Audio LsiM series speakers. The top model from that flagship line is the LsiM707. Retail was 4k a pair. Picked up a new pair for 1100 bucks. I already had a pair of the LsiM705's which I picked up from Polk during their friends and family half price sale, so I did not need the larger model. Just couldn't resist grabbing the 707's, did extensive comparisons, really liked the pairing of them both with a then-new Yamaha a-s2100 integrated. Finally settled on the larger model. It is sublime in the bass with that Yamaha. Best value on a speaker ever for me.
    Shameless plug: plan to sell the as-new 705's when I get around to it. And I plan to give someone a good deal. They are terrific speakers by any standard. At their best with a powerful amp, but sound good even with a modest amp.

7. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Please leave

jonwoody, jusbe, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of minty showroom demos of Spendor SP3/1R2’s from Analogue Seduction in England for slightly over $1400 including shipping and tariffs.

IIRC these speakers retailed new for $3200 at that time in the US (and the current version costs around $3600).

I was aiming for the more affordable SP3/5’s when a kind member of this forum directed me to that listing.

Twinsfan007, Tim 2, jonwoody and 4 others like this.
  9. tdvanb

tdvanb Forum Resident

As a frequent flyer in thrift stores looking for vintage audio, I found a Pioneer laserdisc player (CLD A-100) that still had the Genesis game module plugged inside, but the best piece of equipment I ever came across was a beautiful black Teac X1000R reel to reel deck. They had just got the deck in and it was in a display cabinet. I checked the heads and they looked mint. The pinch roller assembly would not move so that indicated it had not been used for a long time (this is a good sign). Functions initially worked then stopped working as the belt failed. I asked the clerk "why dont you put a new belt on it and sell it on ebay for $1000 (they wanted 299.00)? I left the store because I have several reel decks, but I couldn't get those "like new" heads out of my mind. I went back and talked to the clerk and told him I would give them 199.00 as is. I told him the deck was ripe for cannabilization and then could be returned for a full refund with the excuse that it does not work. The clerk said "this has happened to us in the past" and said he would see if the manager would give him the ok to sell it as is for 199.00. He told me to come back the next day. I left the store with no intention of coming back the next day because I was from out of town. I went back a couple of hours later, prepared to give them $299, but to my amazement, the clerk said the manager had given him the ok to sell the deck for 199.00 as is. I replaced the belt and.........I play it every day. It's a real beauty.

10. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I'm an opportunistic bottom feeder and have lucked onto some pretty decent deals over time including:

1. Marantz 1300DC integrated and 2130 tuner, both working well and in great cosmetic condition, for $300.
    2. Marantz 6200 turntable with AT155LC cart and good stylus for $10
    3. Marantz TT15s1 turntable NIB for $1000. Not exactly "once in a lifetime" pretty good.
    4. Yamaha C4 pre-amp for $70.

jonwoody, googlymoogly and Khorn like this.
  11. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I had a really cheap system in my bedroom (iPod, Yamaha receiver, Boston Acoustics CR67 speakers), and about 17 months ago decided that I wanted to upgrade it to something decent but not too expensive. Black Friday 2019 brought me a pair of Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers for $208 (list $349) and a Fluance RT84 with Ortofon Blue cartridge for $349 (list $449). A couple of months later I found a factory refurbished Peachtree Decco125 SKY streaming integrated amplifier on eBay for $599 (list $1,199). Add the iPod 5G (the one with the Wolfson DAC) and an Onkyo CD player that I had been using in another room, and I have a system that more than satisfies my audio desires for that room.

12. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I bought my turntable as a package deal.
    Avid Sequel SP
    SME 309 tonearm
    Lyra Delos cartridge
    Avid Pulsus phono preamp
    Peachtree Audio DAC
    Audioquest power cable

Original receipt shows over $14k
    All for $2,500. The kicker was, you had to pick it up. 17 hour drive one way.
    I was up for a road trip. :agree:

13. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Let's see...

In another thread I've already mentioned the non-functioning SVS PC13-Ultra that I was offered for free (out of the blue) by a stranger who lives but 15 minutes drive from me. That was certainly an offer I couldn't refuse, especially since all I need do is drop in a new replacement amp from SVS for $400USD to end up with the equivalent to the current PC-4000 - something I plan to do some time in 2021.

Late last year I bought a non-functioning (UE22 error code) Pioneer VSX-1026-k AVR for $60CDN with the hope of fixing it. I finally gave up on it this past weekend and the unit went to e-waste recycling. I kept the remote and the MCACC mic that came with it. But I still needed an AVR for the system I'll be putting together this year in a new exercise room. So I did a local kijiji search for an equivalent unit, not subject to a possible UE22 failure, and found a VSX-1025-k listed for $80CDN. I offered $40CDN and an hour later it was in the trunk of my car. As luck would have it, the "new" AVR was missing the MCACC mic - a spare of which I now happened to have. Hooked it up and put it through its paces and everything's working great. Very nice clean unit.

Over ten years ago, when I was very actively seeking pairs of Koss CM/1030 speakers to either use in a planned re-designed HT, or to strip for parts (if they were already junkers) to give away to fellow Koss owners in need, I was offered a pair in near-pristine condition, for free. Just had to come get them. That involved a 5-6 drive, however since it was very near Ontario's wine region, my wife and I set out on a multi-day road trip that we'd been meaning to take anyhow. We toured at least a dozen wineries and ended up becoming "club" members of two of them. The "free" Koss CM/1030 speakers ended up being lodged securely in place in the back of our van with at least a dozen cases of wine we ended up buying on that trip, and over the years when we were club members, many (many) cases of wine were delivered to our doorstep.

Jeff

ps. Allow me please to put a plug in for Ontario's Flat Rock Cellars and 13th Street Winery.

Khorn likes this.
  14. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

My early 80s mirror image Dahlquist DQ 10s w/ Roman stands for $500 16 years ago. Still singing . Best bang for the buck I’ve had.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  15. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Lots of excellent purchases over the years. I only purchase when I find a good deal.

Several Fisher 500c receivers for $50
    Several Dynaco ST70 amps for $50-$75
    Dynaco A10 speakers $25
    AR3a (Heathkit AS-103 version) $25 and in need of new woofer surrounds
    Fisher 6bq5 Console for $25
    ValAlstine Super PAS3 $250

Nak Dragon $100
    Altec Valencia $150
    2pr Klipsch Heresy $220
    Conrad Johnson PV5 $400
    Quicksilver GLA $500
    Audible Illusions M3 + Cary 40m monoblocks $900
    Linn LP12 / Ittok / Valhalla $800
    About 800 LPs, including about 50 MFSL- ALL in MINT condition $850

About 100 vintage Jazz LPs for $100...including several 1st pressing Blue Notes

More recently:

Teac X2000R with rolling rack and wooden case, shipping box and all literature $250
    Assorted Audiophile cables and speaker wire....about 3 doz prs of cables and 1 doz prs of speaker wire $100
    Musical Fidelity a3.2 Integrated Amp $500
    McIntosh 2100 amp $400
    Audio Research D70 $500

McIntosh MR71/C28/2105/6100 $2500

Marantz 7c $2000

Marantz 8 $1000

McIntosh MX110 / 2100 / 1900 receiver $1500

KEF LS50 in black lacquer $500
    circa late 80's 15 ohm Rogers ls3/5a "white belly" $750

12 inch JBL coaxial speakers / Stax Tonearm / about 2-300 vac tubes $700

I am always looking !

16. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Wow you’re a real component magnet. I’m sure it took work on your part but it looks like it really paid off big time. Great approach.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

A pair of lightly used Revel Ultima Studio speakers for $3K delivered!!!!

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  18. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

EAR/Yoshino 802 pre-amp

EAR/Yoshino 509 Monoblocks.

Tom Evans CD Transport.

Trichord Pulsar 2 dac.

Denon Radio Tuner.

Denon Cassette Deck.

Townsend Seismic Sink 2D Platform.

All in great condition.... £2000 the lot, thought that was good and it was a few years ago.:edthumbs:

Tawaun A Williams and jonwoody like this.
  19. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

I've got two. One is for listening,one is still in original packing! My wife said she's going to put both in my casket when I die.

jonwoody, trd, Khorn and 1 other person like this.
  20. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

About 4 years ago,I was able to purchase from the original owner,a super lower hour First Watt F5 for $1200 delivered. This was definitely the best bargain in my audio history.

21. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I've been lucky enough to get two "cannot walk away from this" deals.

1. Joseph Audio Profiles -I can't say how much they were but Taylor from Goldprint made me an offer I could not refuse. To date this is probably the best audio purchase I have ever made.

2. Keith gave me a FANTASTIC deal on a VTPH-2A

22. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Mint Bryston 4BST for $1,600. Haven't seen one even close to that price since...

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

A copy minty White Whale copy of J.K. & Co.'s Suddenly One Sumer stashed in my grandfather's console stereo for free.

Grootna likes this.
  24. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

My current table:
    - Denon DP-75
    - A/T 440MLa
    - Stax UA-9 Tone Arm
    $675 delivered.

25. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I figured Pat McGinty was onto something (digispeakers) when he sold me his Innersound iPower 750 and Innersound ESL 800 ($8800 list for both) for 3 Benjies+ shipping. I ended up buying new (to me) speakers that could take 750W, Carver Amazing Silver MK4. This system completely destroyed my prior setup that I have not even bothered to set it up in my bedroom and I have been living here for 7 months.

Fully working, zero problems, zero static (but with the bass knob slightly bent) Pioneer SX-750 for $5 or $10 from a church garage sale. I helped collect stuff for the sale throughout the year so I got first dibs :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Tim 2 and jonwoody like this.