“Audio bargain of a lifetime” a deal you just couldn’t refuse.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 12, 2021.

1. fish

fish Senior Member

Were they?

Khorn likes this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I need help after this.

3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

The most iconic sound source that I have in my possession today are the analog tapes that I recorded all the way from the early 80's, the present nakamichi decks and teac reel to reel. Without those ingredients, It will not matter to me even if I have over 50k worth of amps and equipment. Absolutely will never trade it for any new technology or recordings...
    Even if I paid double for what I spent on my decks, its worth a million bucks in sound.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Khorn likes this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Tim what a great story not just the bargain you got but what an excellent person you are as if we needed any reminders.

Khorn, pscreed and Classic Car Guy like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Thanks for the nice words. Not sure about the accuracy, but I'll take it.

Tim 2, jonwoody, Khorn and 1 other person like this.
  6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

A brand new (at the time) SPL Phonitor 2730B headphone amplifier at AUS$ 1000. Even used, they're double that now.

Michael, Tim 2 and Khorn like this.
  7. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

I bought a pair of factory sealed Focal Sopra 1 speakers for $5400.00 cash off of USAudiomart. The guy that had them was living 15 miles from my house. I have had them for almost 4.5 years and don't think I will ever sell them.

Just awesome speakers!

Audio System 2022.jpeg

8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

A $220 Vevor Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

a $600 Rega P6

a $35 Philips 963SA deck, with remote

Khorn likes this.
  9. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

Yes

Khorn and Oddiofyl like this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Your a very wise man. Thoughtful too, your insuring she won't have any stress over the high prices. :righton:

Glmoneydawg, John Buchanan and Khorn like this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

A pair of demonstration ATC SCM40 speakers for 4k (after a $1,200 trade in on of a pair of Revels).

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Summer 2021, Sara and I were offered the following gear for $2,500 total. Once in a lifetime "right place, right time, right connection" scenario. We could not refuse. I think original retail was around $25,000, circa 2000. Every day I listen to this system is blissful.

• Aria Audio WV5 XL tube line stage
    • Aria Audio WT350LS monoblock tube amplifiers
    • Meadowlark Audio Heron i speakers

[​IMG]

13. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I can't really say what the "bargain of my lifetime" was, but I think I've culled a few bargains over the last few years...

One: I was all set to buy a 1200GR for $1700 plus tax, when a 1200G popped up LNIB for $2400 shipped. Hindsight, and how it's performed, that was a pretty good deal. (I think the thread is in the archives here :))

Khorn, jonwoody and Tim 2 like this.
  14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1970-1972 Sansui AS-100 (acoustic suspension) speakers, AlNiCo magnets, M- perfect condition. @ the GW for $9.98. :)

Like KLH or AR.

It was like -- how in the world did these end up here?? Glad they did. They function perfectly & sound wonderful. The 'big box sound' in 23-inch high heavy cabs. Amazing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  15. condorsat

condorsat Audio Pragmatist

I've had two .. both new .. hind site 20/20 were great purchases for my audio system.

1. Technics SL 1210M5 from KABUSA in 2004 for $540
    2. Polk Audio LSIM 703 (Mt Vernon Cherry) in 2019 from an Amazon merchant for $269 (each)

Khorn likes this.
  16. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

A couple of years ago a guy from work gave me a pair of Klipsch Fortes for free. They were in great shape except the binding posts on one of them had broken off and he wanted them gone. I offered to give him money but he refused. I rebuilt them with new capacitors and Crites tweeter diaphragms and listened to them for a few months. I didn't really have room for another pair of speakers. I could have sold them for probably a grand or so but it didn't feel right after getting them for free. An old friend was building up a system after not having anything for a while so I sold them to him for what I had invested in them, about $150.

Khorn, hi_watt, AL01 and 1 other person like this.
  17. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

Around 2009 or so, on eBay, some guy had a bunch of new-in-box Technics 1200 mk2's with a $250 buy it now. I jumped on that pretty quickly!

18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I’ve made an inquiry into just such a piece—a great deal and yet still an eye-watering price. I’ll let you know if i get it.

Khorn and hi_watt like this.
  19. OldandBroken

OldandBroken Forum Resident

Demo Paradigm Founder 120H for about 40% off.

Khorn and hi_watt like this.
  20. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

My Technics SL-1200Mk2 for $500 about 6 years ago.

Classic Car Guy and Khorn like this.
  21. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I’ve gotten some decent deals but the best was probably the $1350 1210GR a few weeks back.

Ntotrar and Khorn like this.
  22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

WiiM Pro might just be the best bargain in audio right now. Very capable streamer for not a lot of money.

Khorn and rockclassics like this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

The legendary Nakamichi ZX-7 and 682ZX both in like new condition. I've used so many cassette decks in my life. These 2 are one of the best cassette recording / playbacks I owned. In my opinion the 682ZX are a bit more on the players side and the ZX-7 is a master in recording. Every tapes that came out and recorded on both machines sounds like a million bucks. We'll just say I don't think I can afford or even find one in this condition and such a price. Just the recordings I made on these decks made are well more than what I paid for.
    The Pioneer PL-518 TT was a follow-up I bought nearly 2 years ago and I spend a total of 1-1/2 day recap, rebuilding and restoring to make the table run like new with a brand new diamond stylus. This is my main playback turntable in my recording station. Very quiet and very stable. Just perfect for my purpose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  24. Classic Car Guy

I think I mention this along the way here at SHF. Since the early 80's through the early 90's I always see these Marantz gyro receiver for 10-15 bucks at flea markets and I couldn't believe people are passing them by more with GPX plastic stereo. :biglaugh:I bought every one that I can get my hands on and later on I sold all of those collection in 2012 when I acquire my house at the pacific northwest. All I remember that those old Marantz sounds very W-I-D-E especially in tuners.

CraigVC and Khorn like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they are fabulous! and wow, good work on those "cheap" Marantz units...

Khorn likes this.