Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Audio Desk Original vs Pro

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cschaub, Aug 7, 2019.

1. cschaub

cschaub Member Thread Starter

I have an opportunity to by a used Audio Desk cavitation cleaner 2015 model, not pro model. It has been totally checked and refurbished, a very good price. Should I avoid because the pro is now the dominant model? It's a 2015, were the kinks worked out by 2015?

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Forum Resident

Refurbished? What does that mean? Did they take apart everything including opening the bottom to reveal the water pump and motor which I highly, highly, highly doubt they did after taking mine apart to try fix a burnt out motor.

Just know this - if it breaks you'll land up with an expensive paperweight as the cost to repair it is more than the unit is worth. $2K+ to repair the motor and that doesn't include shipping the unit back to Germany.

FWIW I wouldn't buy one and I'd buy something cheaper and easier to repair. Try a Kirmuss or a Isonic

3. JMT

JMT Forum Resident

I’ve had both, the Pro is definitely a better machine.

4. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident

Does anyone ever get some fine white foam produced by the Audio Desk?

I've had mine for 5+ years now, and after refilling the tank today, the machine produced a fine white foam during the first cleaning cycle that I have not seen before.

I am afraid that maybe the system got contaminated somehow? I really hope not.

I promptly drained the machine and flushed it with distilled water.

5. cschaub

I get that from time to time. The manual says it's normal. Some have said it's because of previous solvents / cleaners somebody used on a record. I usually wash them twice.

Dave Calarco likes this.
  6. Dave Calarco

After talking with the distributor, he believes (based on a few similar reports of foaming) that there was a defective batch of solution released from Germany. So I drained the machine, took out the barrels and filter, and have run several distilled water-only cycles to fully flush and rinse the machine. Unfortunately, the one record I cleaned with the possibly faulty solution was a super rare, $300 vintage jazz LP that I've been looking for for over a year. I have run a water only cycle with no parts in the machine to rinse the record. I will be waiting for the shipment of new fluid before using the machine again. A bit of a hassle but I'm not messing around with it,

7. cschaub

Wow. I did notice the is right after using a new bottle! How do I swap the three bottles I just bought for some that don't foam?

8. Dave Calarco

I would contact the source you purchased from. Any chance you ordered from The Cable Company?

9. cschaub

Yes, it was the cable company via Amazon, fatwyre.

10. Dave Calarco

For years, I have been in touch with Robert who I feel is tangentially associated with them—though I believe he works for the Audio Desk distributor. The Cable Company is where all my orders process through. I would imagine they know of the issue if you ask them.

11. cschaub

Yep, I talked to him today. He confirmed there was a bad batch and he's going to send me replacements. Solid guy and good service!

Dave Calarco likes this.