Audio Experts: "The Devil and Father Amorth" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I'm pretty sure, but there's probably better audio experts on here who could watch this exorcism documentary, now on Netflix, made by William Friedkin and tell me if they manipulated the audio of the woman's shouts during the exorcism.

PLEASE can we avoid religious debate on this, lest the thread be closed? I know it will be hard, since neither side of the coin can keep zippered about this, but as this is an AUDIO WEBSITE, I'd like to get this question positively answered before we descend into locked status! Resist!

The audio sure sounds manipulated to me. Like a "chorus" effect?

If so, I think it's absolutely baloney that Friedkin did this and disqualifies the whole "documentary."

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I thought the same thing. The doubting Thomas in me said the screaming was doubled or tripled with sound effects that was reminiscent of "Emily Rose". In fact much of the womans story or better yet influence seems to be that film.
    I wanted to believe but most of these cases seem to be a shout out for attention. Whatever. John M.

3. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I have only read one book by Fr. Amorth. Somewhat well-read on the overall topic and also the ostentatious style of Fr. Amorth relating facts. I will have to check out this documentary to gather any sort of notion on the audio mentioned.

4. Ghostworld

Found a Vulture interview where Friedkin says he didn't manipulate it

And that inhuman wail, that was truly the sound of her voice?
    Totally.

There was no manipulation in postproduction at all?
    I wouldn’t f**k around with that! That’s ridiculous!

I too was open-minded going into it, but whatever voice that is coming out of her during the exorcism — it’s too bizarre not to ask about.
    It was to me, too!

My brain was just not accepting it as I watched.
    Well, you’re a skeptic.

I’m not, though. I think it’s a self-defense mechanism to reject something horrifying like that.
    Do you think I would put this thing on if — why do such a thing if it didn’t come across to me as something absolutely real?

So you think it wasn’t human?
    It’s not her. I won’t say it’s not human. It wasn’t her.

Daniel Thomas and Vidiot like this.
  5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I noticed the same thing. The first time she screamed I did a double take.

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

i'm gonna watch this now and listen to ghost at the same time

7. It's Billy Friedkin. Be suspicious very suspicious. Master filmmaker at work.

8. Ghostworld

I watched it again. Maybe she is just related to David Lee Roth and can do the "double-voice scream."

9. Sticklady27

Sticklady27 New Member

Hi there. I chanced on this movie last night and noticed something strange...well stranger I guess. The man on the left side of the woman caught my attention because of the way he was touching her. I began to watch him and it appears to me that he’s doing the classic ventriloquist act. The camera pans onto him better about halfway through. Let me know what you guys think.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Sticklady27

Sticklady27 New Member

That would be Christina’s right, left side of the screen.

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I saw it recently and you asked the exact same question that had in mind. It certainly seems 'synthesized' to me. However, the other voices speaking at the same time are not, so maybe Friedkin didn't only have a handycam, Perhaps a whole team of sound recordists and some post-production.

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. katertot

katertot Active Member

I just watched this and thought the same thing about the audio being manipulated. The director inserts a clip from the exorcism footage at 44:37 in which you cannot hear a dual-tone scream. I think he just forgot to overdub that part.

Brian R and Vidiot like this.
  14. Brian R

Brian R Member

I rewound it and noticed the same thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.