Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan Greatest, Vol. II" SACD set mastering complete.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Rec. mine from Amazon. Nice, full sound and it looks great next to Volume 1.

Can we now have Volume 3? It's a great disc and would really complete the set. :)

Starwanderer, PH416156, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  2. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I'd rather Steve do more complete Dylan albums on SACD than another compilation.

supermd, Spek and Wade like this.
  3. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Sure...but I still want Volume 3. I want the complete set.

fantgolf likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I do too. (And can you please move the paperweight back where it belongs on the corner of my desk????)

Then SH should start at self-titled and work through the 40+ albums in order!

ShawnX likes this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'd be happy with Time Out Of Mind.

6. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I will take a volume 3 also. Never expected to have so much Dylan in my collection. Between Steve and Mofi I am collecting a more then a few.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Agreed. I'd love it if AF could use the original mix for "Changing of the Guard," though I certainly have no problems with the new mix.

ShawnX and Mr. H like this.
  8. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I didn't know it was a remix. :hide:

I really enjoy listening to all three GHs discs together over a Saturday afternoon. An amazing body of work.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Honestly, I'm not sure which mix is used on GH3. The entire Street Legal was remixed in 1999. The instruments have more clarity and depth, but Dylan's voice isn't as loud in the mix. I like them both for different reasons.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

GH3 was released in 1994 according to Wiki, so it should have used the original mix. Or it was remixed for the occasion. Stranger things have happened.

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Original mix on GH3; remix on any comps released after 1999.

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's the original mix.

13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, of course it wouldn't be the 1999 remix. :doh:

14. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Now that I think about it...I've listen to the remastered disc and the GH 3. Think I like the remix better.

15. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Funny. I had this pre-ordered from Amazon at around $53. I reluctantly cancelled the order shortly before they started shipping due to tight finances last week. This week its available for under $39.54! Ordered!

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Apparently that requires permission of Daniel Lanois (as well as Dylan). IIRC, that's why TIME OUT OF MIND wasn't included in the initial batch of Sony SACD hybrids.

17. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Wouldn't you have received the lower price due to the pre-order guarantee? You shouldn't have been stuck with the higher $53 price...

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The pre-order guarantee only would have lowered his price to $41 -- it's actually DROPPED since the release date if it's really $39.

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Since Lanois also produced "Oh Mercy" and that album WAS released as a SACD hybrid, I'm not sure that this is correct.

20. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know how many were made? Mine is numbered.

Excellent job Steve and Stephen. Loving it.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Given that MFSL just released a slew of Dylan SACDs and has more on the way, that seems unlikely. However, MFSL used remixes, so it would be great if Steve could master the original mixes.

22. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Just gave a quick listen. Sounds great!

Has anyone noticed that the reverb on TOMORROW IS A LONG TIME sounds different? I listened to the original Columbia Premaster and it sounds like they used a dry version whereas Steve's version sounds like you're in the concert hall.

Anyone else noticed this?

art likes this.
  23. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Hear hear! Imagine the first CD of the 1966 stereo LP mix of Blonde on Blonde. One can dream.

rxcory likes this.
  24. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

On topic, Amazon says my copy of GH II should be here tomorrow, a few days ahead of schedule. I. Just. Can't. Wait. As I posted elsewhere in this thread, the version of "I Shall Be Released" with Happy Traum is another timeless recording for me. That and the newly separated heartbreaker, "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" and its rollicking neighbor, "Masterpiece" are what I'm most excited for beyond the overall vocal presence I expect to hear from Mr. Hoffman's efforts. He said it was a bit of a slog earlier in the thread, and that makes me all the more excited to hear and appreciate what his hard work has wrought.

25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Received my copy yesterday. This is without a doubt an amazing piece of mastering.

Thank you Steve!!!!

Wade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.