Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" Gold CD SOUND QUALITY:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robobrewer, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident Thread Starter

:pineapple:

I just finished listening for the first time and I am very impressed. I expected the CD to sound good but I didn't expect this level of clarity and texture. I didn't think those old tapes could still sound so fresh. There isn't any harshness from the harmonica or the "dated" sound I felt was inevitable.

There is a wonderfully deep soundstage and when I crank up the volume it only gets better. This is a fantastic remaster!:edthumbs:

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this thread, Robo. And good luck.

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

A brave soul

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Whew. For a minute there I started to worry that we weren't going to have enough threads on this release :)

5. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Detail is amazing, I'm not a big Dylan guy but I'm hearing things I didn't notice before.
    Listening to the acoustic guitar on Tambourine Man, nice. And the harmonica is
    under control (my biggest problem with some dylan)

Also, I think there is a certain "dated sound", namely the sound of the 1960s!

We need more Dylan done this way.

6. bluesbro

Like a Rolling Stone, 0:24 do I hear a dropout in the voice in the left channel?

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's on the master and discussed in the real thread about this title. Too confusing to have this many threads...hope a Gort closes this one.

8. bluesbro

Thanks. It is confusing, sorry to have added more confusion.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

No worries...didn't mean to sound like I was pointing the finger at you!:righton:

10. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

What? A dropout? :eek: Can't it be fixed with Adobe Audition or some such? I thought CDs were meant to be perfect ;););)

Pinknik likes this.
  11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Please let this be the thread. Looking forward to reading about music. Maybe we could have a Marketplace section were people can post/ read about when **** ships from retailers.

12. Robobrewer

Is that the real thread with 50 pages of posts panicking over delivery issues or the 10 page deluge of irrelevant hysteria?

I don't have the time or desire to wade through those messes. Do you honestly want to?

My intention in starting this thread is to hopefully and finally have one that focuses on how this CD sounds.

By the way, I just finished listening to this remaster again. I LOVE it!

duggan likes this.
  13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

can someone offer a comparison between Mr Tambourine man on this CD and the reissued mono vinyl.
    I was blown away by this track on the vinyl, can't imagine the CD could be better.
    Glen

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just listened to it. All I can say is if Steve remastered all of the Dylan albums like this my Dylan SACDs would be headed to the Marketplace.

15. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The handful of actual reviews is getting me excited. It Ain't Me Babe is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I can't wait to hear it on this disc.

16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree. After listening to this one, I pulled out Blonde on Blonde from my mono box. Those mono CDs have been my "go to" much more than my 2003 SACDs. This newest one is by far the best. It was like Bobby was in the room with me.

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I still like the Mono but man I wish SH would do all of the stereo versions. His version kills those SACDs. Like cellophane to velvet.

18. Robobrewer

I always preferred the Turtles cover of this song, but now I don't know. Dylan's passion can really be felt in this CD.

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Take 3! And action!

Attached Files:

20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

For those who have both.....how does Like A Rolling Stone on this new AF Greatest Hits compare to it on the DCC gold Highway 61?

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

honestly...I would not expect anything less than greatness...:)

22. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Received #2734 from Amazon today, and spinning it now.

There is no way anyone can be unhappy with this disc. Just phenomenal.

I have the MFSL 45 RPM Freewheelin' LP, so I did a comparison between it and this CD on "Blowin' In The Wind" and it was VERY close. I might give a slight edge to the LP in that it felt a little warmer but that's probably because my vinyl rig is much better than my CD rig.

"Like A Rolling Stone" is blaring now and yes, Dylan has really gone electric.

23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

This is now the only thread on the subject with any value. Which is too bad as the original SH started should have been. Here's hoping this one does not devolve. I agree with anyone who agrees shipping updates are worthless.

Sound very nice to me on first listen. I hope to compare to previous issues soon. My feeling is with the earlier material any difference will be the small.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sweeter. Less boxy. Wonderful.

The AF version wins.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is indeed a drop on left channel that lasts a second at about n:23. I am hearing things in these songs that I have never heard before. Better on second time through!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.