Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" Gold CD SOUND QUALITY:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robobrewer, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't know about Biograph, but there's no pressing of Blonde on Blonde that has the original LP mixes. Your Columbia CD must have one of the three CD-era remixes, whereas it's been established that both the 1999 and AF Greatest Hits CDs have original mixes.

2. triple

triple Senior Member

I got the gold CD yesterday and even though my rig is only half working (one channel is down due to volume potentiometer failure), I already like what I heard.

I am hoping for the sequel...

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I had a half working rig for a while - one of my mono amps was out to lunch. Switched the preamp to mono and ran on 1 speaker for a while. I got quite used to that - mono sound is underrated if you listen off axis, as I do much of the time. ;)

Back working now - I should have fixed it earlier. I'm a slack ****.

4. triple

triple Senior Member

I have an integrated amp and I am not shure if it is healthy for the power amp to have one channel without load. OTOH it will probably take 10 days before I get the new volume pot (it is on its way as I write) plus a few more to have it installed, as the new pot is a different make.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

If the output stage uses valves, you would be right - should not run without a load. Transistors - should not be an issue, but I understand being cautious.

6. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

+1. I just opened my copy and did and A/B comparison with a Columbia 2-eye -1A/-1C cut. I LOVE the orig LP, and this CD peels a "layer" of processing off the overall sound of the LP.

It's pure. And P4thSt is damn cool.

7. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I finally got around to checking this one out. Outstanding. I believe this is the best these recordings have ever sounded.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My wife is not a big Bob Dylan fan but she loves listening to this Audio Fidelity gold CD. She says that it "tames" his voice and his harmonica. Is that possible?

9. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Yes, I think it is. I think the remastering work done has cleaned up a lot of stuff for the better. The "air" around the vocals and instruments tames some of the shrill. My opinion.

10. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Just ordered this after the stellar reviews.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Absolutely for me. The earlier SACDs sound so harsh compared to the AF and the new MFSLs. Especially the harmonica and his voice.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've been so on the fence about this release, mainly because I have all these songs umpteen times, but I'm leaning heavily based on the reviews and all the chatter on Vol 2. I'm weakening!

13. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Jeff, just go for it ..lol

JeffMo likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

"My name is Jeff, I'm a music-aholic. Full Moon is my enabler!!"

supermd and full moon like this.
  15. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

My Wife thinks I am sick. Lol. Enjoy.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. I expect that Greatest Hit's Volume 2 in Steve's hands will be just as stellar.

full moon likes this.
  17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

As an SACD, perhaps even stellarer. :D

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I've forgotten... when is that due?

19. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Trust us... Buy.. Buy... Buy...

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm really enjoying it!

And it's your fault!

full moon likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I agree. The gold cd of Greatest Hits sounds...great :) The acoustic songs sound natural...as if Bob is sitting in the room strumming away. The electric stuff is not too shabby either. I am pumped for Vol II.

Hoffman's in the basement, making up the mastering...I'm on the pavement, thinkin' about the gold disc :D

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Good timing on your post.....I just saw on Amazon that my GH II is on it's way to my penthouse today. :D
    Nice play on words of the Dylan lyrics BTW!

pool_of_tears likes this.
  23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I've got this playing at the moment. I've never really picked up on Bruce Langhorne's electric guitar before, but on this mastering it really rings out beautifully.

24. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

Have it. Love it. Bought a friend one.

But can someone (Mr. Steve perhaps) elaborate on the 'typical 30% Columbia distortion', asked earlier?

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.