Audio Fidelity delayed gold CDs

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Lovealego, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Oh you just made my week. Thank you sir!

2. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

This must happen. Have Mercy On The Criminal. Has this album ever gotten deluxe anything?

3. I completely agree. The 'Gold' CD marketing gimmick should be "Retired". Hi Rez SACD's are what AF should be issueing at this stage of the game.

4. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Awesome. Yes thank you.

SACD, single layer, stereo IMHO. Model them after the wonderful and completely unbeatable Japanese titles that have been released over the last couple of years, ie ditch the jewel case and outer sleeve and go for the beautiful fold out heavy cardboard sleeves.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I hope they never abandon redbook. I'd rather they stick with the golg CD gimmick that go to single layer SACD. Hybrid SACD would be fine, but why in the world anyone would prefer single layer to hybrid is beyond me.

6. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Agree as they would lose quite a number of buyers if they went single layer.

7. The original discussion mentioned by Keith H., and myself, was about "Hybrid" (Redbook layer included) SACD, not "Single Layer" SACD.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

And the post I was replying to, which I quoted, was by a person saying they hoped AF would change to single layer SACD's.

9. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

What Dio album will be on 180+ vinyl?

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'm sure Audio Fidelity doesn't want to disappear into history like DCC did. Pressing single layer SACDs - a format even its creator has all but abandoned - never going to happen, my friend. Commercial suicide - I'm sure Audio Fidelity doesn't want to marginalize themselves even further. Hybrid SACDs - bring it on.

11. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

That would be great!

But that won't happen, unfortunately:shake:

12. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

"Don't Shoot Me..." it is then. :)

Form an orderly queue behind me!

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Ah, but the shipping updates those single-layer SACDs could generate, what with the likely delays. Heaven.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed - although I love non-hybrid SACDs.

15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Yes, please.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I may not prefer it, but I learned immediately to adapt to it. Single layers are SO Special (I tell myself) that I have to be at home, with the dedicated player, in order to listen to it.

Life is full of compromises. Adapt, or die.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Do you think they float the name of the artist around, then wait to see the reaction before deciding on which album?

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Anything is possible. There is quite a buzz here about Elton John with no knowledge of the actual title. Now let's see if get a formal announcement of a forthcoming Elton John gold CD.

That said, if they were going to test the waters, you'd think they'd do it with an artist like Mike + The Mechanics. There was no premature buzz there. The CD was announced, and then we started talking about it. They shouldn't have to test the waters with Elton John, especially if we're talking about an album from the '70s. Whatever they release, people will buy.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

True, but they may want to get a sense of the albums most desired.

Though it's possible they might not want to put out the most desired album(s) first - release some "lesser lights" initially to capitalize on early excitement and then put out the more popular albums later.

That said, I think they know which EJ album is in the plans but Steve didn't name it because he's not mastering it. I think the only reason we know the name of the Yes album is because Steve's working on it and he confirmed it. Perhaps Kevin's doing EJ and Steve's not comfortable mentioning something on which he's not working.

Or I could be full of crap! :D

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

very true, but if they're testing the waters, I'd like "Elton John" or "Tumbleweed Connection"

21. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Barry's "Close to the Edge" is fantastic, but I'll be sure to pickup this version as well. I hope AF releases more 70's Yes... would really like to see what Steve could do with "Relayer".

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You are obviously speaking for the club members. Others do have a choice.

23. Oatsdad

Obviously, but what Keith meant is that as long as AF releases a "classic era" Elton album, it's gonna sell really well. Would some albums be more in-demand than others? Sure, but anything EJ did from "Elton John" through "Blue Moves" will... move!

You know what I'd like? A remastered COMPLETE "Here and There"! That's the only one of the "classic years" releases that's only available in the Dudgeon remaster era...

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I do know what he was implying, I forgot to add a :D, and realized that far too late.

25. Oatsdad

Oh - got it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.