Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

"...smoke 'em if you got 'em..."

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

(I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but didn't see this mentioned)

Has anyone compared this new AF version to the vinyl reissue mastered by Bernie Grundman a couple of years ago? I liked it although the bass seemed like it was overwhelming the rest of the mix.

3. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Bernie mastered both the Pallas pressed recent reissue and the Classic Records LPs for this title. I prefer the Classics. I also prefer these slightly over the AF CD. But the AF CD will do the trick for most folks.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

got mine.

noticed that dallas taylor is back,,all is well.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The remaster is wonderful.... warm bodied voices with good soundstage. Definitely an improvement over the Atlantic 24K reissue. Highly recommended.

6. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Mine is number 0501 and no wrinkles on the disk.

I have never owned this album before, so I don't have anything to compare to. I really like the sound of this disk. Very nice, clear bass. The percussion on Suite: Judy Blue Eyes sounds very good to me. The vocals also sound very natural. It doesn't sound bright to me at all.

7. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

postman just delivered No. 2308. I'm simply stunned. My original vinyl copy (long since gone) had one of those "gold certification" stickers they used to affix to records that sold whatever the number was to go gold, so it's safe to say my record was sourced from that dubbed and switched master. To me, the Gastwirt CD sounded dead and one dimensional, so I was never motivated to play it much. I just always thought this was just a bad recording. Steve's version pulls you into the middle of a multi-faceted recording and just sounds so musical. You can almost wrap the sound around you. Steve has corrected 2 of my most all time frustrating recordings this year: This one, and Sweet Baby James. Wow and Wow.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

:agree:

9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

FINALLY received from DHL after sitting 5 days in Cal.:realmad:
    No 1727.
    Wow, wow, wow.
    First blush listen is how life-sized, clear and detailed this sounds.
    Total thumbs up.
    Excellent job Steve.
    Thank you.

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So, there is no possibility that Deja Vu will also be done by AF? I can only imagine what that one could sound like, after hearing this CS&N. Somebody needs to send Neil Young a copy of this. Give him something to think about...

11. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Got mine, #0483. Sounds great. Very smooth and balanced.

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Mine has a "dot" manufacturing blurp seen on both sides of the disc.

13. fini

fini Forum Resident

Got mine today, #2026. Even my wife liked it!!

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just listened to CSN AF for the first time and am blown away on how much better it sounds over all other versions. It is damn near perfecto my ears.

Steve hit one out of the park for the home team on this one!!!

15. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I've always been very happy with the Atlantic Gold disc, but it is officially retired. Their was no veil on the Atlantic, but the AF is substantially better sounding, especially the bass.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve, pat yourself on the back! You did great! Keep up the good work!

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Agree. I have compared it to my CD versions and vinyl and it kills them all.

18. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Loving this CD. The bass sounds fantastic. Is that all Stills? There are some things going on there that really sound like Bruce Palmer. McCartneyesque... What a great record. So much great stuff but the sound of this record (not the songs, the sound) - in my mind that's the contribution of Stills. The guy knew his way around a recording studio. The acoustic guitars... An acoustic guitar doesn't sound like that in a room. It sounds like that in the hands of a master musician, in an exotic tuning, with a little compression, a little EQ, a little 'verb... Magic...

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve, congrats on this release!

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

CS&N is basically Stills musical arrangements and playing most instruments (except drums), Crosby arranging vocals & harmonies & throwing in some rhythm guitar. Nash; vocals and a little percussion.

21. mrogers

mrogers Forum Resident

This arrived in the mail today. It sounds amazing, Steve!

22. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday, #1772 and it sounds MAHVELOUS!!!!!!!!

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

"...if 6 turned out to be 9, I don't mind..."

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Perhaps not the best place to ask the question, but does the mid-'90s Atlantic remaster have the same mastering as the Atlantic gold CD?

25. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Here you go, Keith:

82522-2 (Atlantic Gold):
    97.7/ 97.7/ 97.7/ 92.5/ 97.7/ 97.7/ 88.0/ 97.7/ 97.7 / 97.8

82651-2 (Gastwirt):
    97.7/ 97.7/ 97.7/ 92.5/ 97.7/ 97.7/ 88.0/ 97.7/ 97.7 / 97.8

19177-2 (Diament):
    96.0/ 94.3/ 62.8/ 69.4/ 100.0/ 96.5/ 79.6/ 74.0/ 94.2 / 88.9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.