Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

So the answer is effectively "Yes." There is no difference between the standard 90s remaster and the Atlantic Gold CD that everybody raves about. I personally did not like either. When I bought that Atlantic gold CD back around 94 or so, I immeadiately sold it and kept my original 80s CD.

I have owned this title on vinyl and/or digital for approx. 40 years, this title is a siginicant part of my life. I can say without hesitation that this new Audio Fidelity is the gold standard by which all others must measure themselves against. I love it and will cherish it. :cheers:

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Sounds good and Steve and all involved have done a great job as usual. My Classic Records 200g pressing will still be my go to choice though. Probably because my turntable/cartridge is better than my Marantz CD player.

3. This album is my CD remaster of 2011, while Steve's work on Nat Cole's catalog for SACD and 45 RPM LP is my high resolution remaster of the year. The clarity, warmth and dynamic impact of both projects carry his trademark breath of life quality that we all treasure from his best work in spades!!!:cheers:

4. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I received my copy from Amazon (2145) and when I carefully took it out for the slipcase I noticed some light scratches on the front of the CD case. No broken spindle teeth with this one or my Dream Weaver (I have experienced this on several AF discs in the past) BUT there are multiple marks on the play side...about 10 or so with most of them in the play area. I have no idea what caused this but I will see if it plays through fine and I will definetly contact Amazon about this and organize a replacement or a partial refund at the very leasst if it plays fine and is error free using EAC.

Ugh!

5. fini

fini Forum Resident

Dig in!

This thread reminds me of being very hungry, waiting for Thanksgiving dinner. Once the meal arrives, everyone shuts up.

6. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I've been listening to this since 1977 on (regular) vinyl and the Gaswirt CD. On my modest setup, the new AF is several notches up in quality. The previously-muddied bass is now mostly distinct and meaty, the voices more lifelike, and the guitars sparkle. AFAIK, I'd agree that some level of 'veil' has been removed ("it makes me wonder..." how this would have sounded as an SACD :confused:). While not all AFs have been winners, this one is definitely worth getting.

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'm curious and perplexed by this. How does a brand new CD have marks on it?

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am hearing things on this disc that I have never heard before in my 30+ years of listining to this album. The harmony vocals are amazing and ring out crisp and clear.

Steve I don't know how you do it, but just keep 'em coming!

9. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Somebody at the CD production plant must have mishandled or dropped it before inserting it in the case.

Can you say "fumble," boys & girls? Sure you can!

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

:righton:

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'll be eating this week, thank you. :wave:

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thank you. Much appreciated. I have the Atlantic gold disc, but as a completist, I was wondering if I "needed" the mid-'90s issues. With the 32XD, U.S. Diament, Atlantic gold, '06 remaster, and Audio Fidelity gold CDs, I think I'm set. Oh yeah, I also have the Atlantic gold error disc pressed on aluminum. :help:

Thanks, Rocky. Interesting perspective. The gold CD sounds O.K. to me, but I always preferred Barry's mastering. I haven't compared the Audio Fidelity gold disc to Barry's version, but the new gold disc is really good.

I wasn't aware that the Atlantic gold disc was revered by so many folks.

13. CarloM

CarloM Forum Resident

Just got home and UPS had left me a present on my doorstep :D

Steve - I wish you could see this stupid grin I've got on my face as I listen to your work. Four tracks into it and I can't believe the job you've done. Keep in mind I don't any prior version of this album, just the So Far CD which contains a few tracks from this. To me the difference is already night and day. I look forward to later, more critical listenings with my Beyer DT880s.

14. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Well, I compared the AF with Barry Diament's mastering, "corrected" as per Steve ([email protected], IIRC). With the two level-matched, Steve's mastering definitely sounds more present, as if an earlier-gen tape had been used. But, it also has more in the presence region, period. Although I can't be sure, I'm guessing that Steve had a better source (the original master, presumably), AND also that he boosted the presence region a bit relative to the Diament mastering.

Anyone else? :)

LATER. I also compared the AF with the "un-corrected" Diament mastering, which is perhaps a better comparison. The difference in the presence region was less. Also, the BD mastering had a hint of "steeliness," which I suppose was the reason for Steve's suggested "correction" in the first place. EQ differences were minor, yet Steve's mastering still sounded more present. Conclusion: I still think Steve used a better source, and MAYBE that he added a slight "lift" in the presence region.

Look, just get the AF version, OK? :winkgrin: It sounds great.

15. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

I have not heard the new AF master and am sure Steve did a wonderful job.

I must say, however, that if comparing the CD I did to another mastering, it must be the CD I did. Applying someone else's suggested EQ, no matter the source, is by definition, to be comparing something other than my work, something that has nothing whatsoever any longer to do with my work. (If I add some ingredients to a soup originally made by a certain chef, how could I possibly refer to the results as being in any remote way that chef's soup?)

By the way, a 3 dB drop in EQ, at a frequency where the ear is particularly sensitive, is quite severe in my book and on the master I created, would result in a distinct loss of presence, not to mention a time smear if the Q isn't just right (or, with some equalizers, even if the Q is just right).

In the end, as I said, I'm sure the new mastering is wonderful. But if one wants to hear the difference between it and the one I did way back when, please listen to them BOTH without alteration. (Or at the very least, apply the same alteration to both.)

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Got it. Very nice!

17. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Received mine (#1078) from Amazon after a lengthy delay. I was good and frustrated after the wait, but then I popped the disc in.

No more frustration.

The only copies I have for reference are the Gastwirt remaster, and the tracks included on the CSN box (which I A/Bed a few months back; generally preferred their sound on the CSN box over the remaster). I wish I had Barry's disc to compare with... but MAN this new disc is an enjoyable listen.

The detail revealed, too, both good and bad... For example: I never noticed the massive crackle following the last note of "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" before, though a detailed listen to my old copy show's it's always been there. The bright gleep just before the second verse of "Marrakesh Express"... Just how clear the lost drum track from "Guinevere" is, and how much I'd be interested in hearing a mix of the song with those drums still in it... ...also listen closely to the end fade of "Guinevere"... on the left, you'll hear a mixed-out wah-driven electric solo...

...But above all, just how good everything sounds... the roundness of the bass...the acoustic guitars.... and the blend of the voices. It makes me smile and close my eyes.

Thank you, Steve.

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

19. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

WHAH??

:bigeek:

Guinevere once had drums?????? That is just wrong

20. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I love the drums on this stretched out Miles Davis version of Guinnevere.

21. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Isolate the right channel and turn it up - you'll hear the ghost of a drum track (far more going on than just a click track).

Between that and the ghost guitar solo during the ending fadeout (faint in the left channel), I'm thinking they experimented with it being a much fuller "band" track before dialing it down to the intimate final mix.

Edit: I've just done a little googling... an alternate mix, with the drums up, circulates (missing the guitar solo, though)

22. fini

fini Forum Resident

That's awesome!

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Indeed. Never heard of that Miles album, but it's now on my must-buy list :righton:

24. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Still haven't had a chance to compare it to the 2006 remaster but this disc sounds so good that I am not sure I want to. I am on my third listen to this all the way through and it is just plain sweet sounding. I like that they have the proper intro of 49 Bye Byes "You better come on in my kitchen / because it's going to be raining outside." that was missing on the 2006 disc.

This is nothing to do with the sound but does anyone else appreciate that AF encoded text on the disc? I really like that added bonus on some new discs. Why doesn't every new disc automatically have that feature?

Anyways, Steve hit a home run with this title! Thanks!

Randy

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I think the Miles Davis version of "Guinnevere" is also on the Complete Bitches Brew 4-disc set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.