Audio Note Kit DAC 2.1 Build

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

Finally got the Bugle Boys today. They're so round and juicy sounding. Amazing! They're not all the way warmed up at the moment, but they sound incredible already. I can't even hear them in their full glory yet because, turns out my ears weren't all the way good yet. Went to the doc and had them looked at. No infection, but he thought I probably had inflamed eustation tubes from the earlier sinus infection. I've been on oral steroids for two days now to help reduce swelling and let them drain and the improvements have been very noticeable, but I can still tell I'm not all the way good. However, I'm extremely relieved it wasn't related to my listening habits and look forward to clear hearing for the first time in well over a week. It's been super nerve wracking.

IanL, Encore, SirMarc and 3 others like this.
  2. DyersEve726

Ears are even better today. These tubes hit all the right spots for me. Improves on the bass richness I enjoyed in the JJs, with the clarity of the GL minus the harshness and almost digital presentation. Imaging is more 3D than either. The phantom center channel wasn't fully separated with either previous tube. I hadn't even noticed that before, but it's like it has moved from the outside edges of the center channel, to dead center. I'm VERY impressed, and I'm sure I'll be even more so as my ears continue to improve.

IanL and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

I have Amperex Bugle Boys(12AX7/12AU7) in my Ares Phono preamp that replaced JJ's as well. Even though this was an analogue setup, every bit of the presentation improved just as you've noticed and they continued to improve over time.
    I've been following this thread for a while now and am glad to "hear" you are on the mend. I've had ear issues as well and it can be quite frustrating to not be able to hear your system at its full potential...
    Jon

DyersEve726 and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. DyersEve726

Thanks for the support. Frustrating indeed! My system sounds different depending on whether I'm chewing gum or not, lol. I got an SPL meter now and, turns out, my peak listening volume is <80 dB when I have it "cranked" by my standards. Normal listening for me peaks at like 72 dB, so I'm thinking I did nothing bad to my ears, thankfully. Stupid sickness.

IanL, Ham Sandwich, Rolltide and 2 others like this.
  5. DyersEve726

Welp, after my first day or so of improvement with the medication, I have hit a brick wall and don't appear to be getting any better. Starting to really worry that I'll never hear correctly again. Sensitivity to noises is still prevalent and listening to music is basically out of the question. I'll be scheduling an appointment with an ENT on Monday. I'm fearing bad news and have been worried sick. Wish me luck guys. If this **** is permanent, you'll be seeing a lot of gear in the classified section soon :mudscrying:

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

From your description of the preceding events, there is nothing that indicates that you would have done something to cause ear damage.

Remember my post! If you have these issues, even though the initial cause is no longer present, it may take some time for your ears to get back to normal. That is what I noticed, and I also went to an ENT afterward and he did confirm these facts.

You might want to hold on to that gear just a wee bit longer.

IanL, DyersEve726 and Rolltide like this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Ain't nobody ever gave themselves permanent hearing damage from cranking the music to <80db for a bit. You'll be fine.

IanL, SirMarc and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. DyersEve726

I'm trying my best to remain calm. I've been a musician for 20 years and music is something I've loved more than anything else since I was a kid. It's hard to not feel like it's all slipping away. Thanks for the words of encouragement though.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Depending on the season I have hearing issues in my left ear, driven by allergies and narrow eustachian tubes. It used to drive me crazy until I worked with my audiologist and figured it out. My hearing would become particularly sensitive to sharp noises, which made me grumpy when my kids were young and squealing. :sigh: And as I've gotten older I've gotten sensitive to wood smoke, a big issue as we heat with wood. I manage with a combination of Flonase-type product and anti-histamines, but the reality is that sometimes I just listen less because it hurts my left ear. Instead of freaking out now when it happens, and while it is a bummer not to be able to listen fully as I want to, I know that eventually when the seasons change or the windows open I'll be back to my old self.

John K.

IanL and DyersEve726 like this.
  10. DyersEve726

What a great support group, lol. You're probably all correct and I'm overreacting. It just seems like it's been SOO long. Something like three weeks of this hell has put me in a dark place that feels like there's no end. It's difficult to stay positive.
    I just got back from my nephews birthday party...I feel this comment.

timind likes this.
  11. DyersEve726

Oooh, sweet relief! Today was the first day in weeks that I haven't felt the need to wear earplugs throughout my workday to calm down my ears. Giving a well known album a go and it almost sounds normal. Still sorta feels like I've got some extra pressure and I'm missing some mid tones, but the over sensitivity has eased and just seeing a light at the end of the tunnel is enough to calm my anxiety. PHWEW! :goodie:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That’s great. You’ve had quite the month or two; let the poor guy enjoy his DAC!

DyersEve726 likes this.
  13. DyersEve726

I'm trying to look at it as a blessing in disguise. When I began hearing high pitched sounds and they weren't coming from inside my own head, I started marveling at all the sounds around me. I stood on the sidewalk today and listened to cars passing by, and the *whoosh whoosh whoosh* they made as they passed parked cars made me almost laugh. I'm the type that can hear a phone charger whining on the other side of the room, so I never exactly took my excellent hearing for granted, but the wonders of sound almost feel new again. It's pretty neat.

toddrhodes, SandAndGlass and adamos like this.
  14. DyersEve726

I want to add that the Bugleboys have extended the greatness of my DAC to all music genres now. I had previously not enjoyed modern music nearly as much with it, but I can't find anything that doesn't sound good with the Bugleboys in this DAC. They're punchy, full, and clear on top with just incredible imagining. I love them and worth every penny. My perception might be skewed though, due to my recent episode, but the other tubes are going to be staying in a drawer :tsk:

It's crazy. I'm listening at 65db peaks and it seriously sounds SO loud to me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    jdsher, Encore and adamos like this.
  15. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

I'm 1/2-3/4 into a build of the 2.1 and have a lot of issues that you had. I tried messaging you, but I somehow don't have the authorization. I was hoping i could use your experience to bounce things off of, maybe by e-mail and or phone. I'm in Minnesota. My e-mail is
    " [email protected]"
    Thanks
    Jeff

16. DyersEve726

No problem. I'll email now.

Bill Hart likes this.
  17. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

I'm in the middle of building a Dac 2.1 and have a problem with the power supply board. When measuring B+ and the ground I only get 150 vac, but the 300/300 with tubes I get 640.
    Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at? I double checked the resistor values and they seem ok, Brian has not responded to what may be the issue, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm replying on this page and I will post on the last page, I don't know if this page would be viewed anytime soon.
    Thanks
    Jeff

18. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

Forgot to mention that B= and ground should measure 260-270 vac

19. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

The 300/300 measurement is good. If you measure just one of the 300 points to the GND on that side of the board, it should be around 320VAC for each.

The B+ to GND measurement on the the other side of the board should be 270VDC, not VAC. Is that causing your problem?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  20. DyersEve726

Yeah, he's only getting 150v instead of 250-270v. He sent me pics of his board and wiring, and all looked good to me. I sent him here for answers, cause I didn't have any, lol.

21. fully_articulated

Hi mate, hope your ears are better. You had me worried!

Sounds like he's measuring it in AC though doesn't it? B+ exiting the PSU board is DC.

22. DyersEve726

Maybe...I didn't think to ask how he had his meter set.

My ears are probably at 95%! Enough for me to enjoy music throughout the day at reasonable volumes. I still have a little ringing in the morning when I'm dehydrated, but once I chug a few glasses of water, I'm ready to go, lol.

23. fully_articulated

That's good. I understand how distressing it can be. For the last couple of years I've had a low-level hum in my right ear. Luckily for now, the ambient noise level has to be quite low for me to notice it - like lying in bed at night. I do worry that it may be getting slowly worse, and that it may one day interfere with music listening.

24. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

150 vac is what I get. Bad tube maybe?

Thanks
    Jeff

25. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

Sorry it was early 150 vdc(actually~148 vdc) is what I get

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.