Audio Note Kit DAC 2.1 Build

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I have just been told my kit will be shipping out tomorrow. Excited and keeping my fingers crossed!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I have a tracking number!

2 packages, 53lbs. Arriving Friday. First thing I will do... parts count.

Christmas is coming early this year.

Ah crap. I will be out of town this weekend.

jenkovix and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

Sweet! I had placed my order early to mid Oct.

I was away most of last week and couldn't wait to get back and build! Time to start my build thread!

4. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

what are you getting?

5. Troffymoff

Troffymoff New Member

I purchased an EL34i kit and expected a high quality item for a high price, but as I see I am not the only one disappointed. I am missing parts, however if I can't get them from Brian I can probably source them locally except I am missing the front plate which I can only get from ANK. Missing cables, components, having 6 black RCA's when there is clearly initials from Brian that he checked the bag is very sloppy considering such a high end product? I even received an empty bag with an initial as checked!! This was my test case to later purchase much higher end products from ANK but it is a dismal quality failure. I would recommend to go elsewhere. Currently I am at an impasse and frustrated I can't finish. Pretty pissed off.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

It is wise to research any product before making a purchase. That is especially true with ANK where Brian seems to routinely ship kits without a full complement of parts. There is just no excuse for that in my opinion. Unfortunately your experience is simply one among many similar stories reported here.

chili555, Sugar Man and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Don't blame you. What is so very bad here is the number of purchaser's that are effected, and these are the only ones that have posted to this forum.

One wonder's, how many others are there out there?

And we, are not only speaking about a missing resistor or to. These "omissions" seem to involve many parts which turn up to be missing, from the kits.

And, this appears to be a continuing problem, not an isolated incidence here or there.

Selling kits is what they do for a living. This IS what their business is. And yet all of these problems are happening and keep on happening over and over, time and again.

How anyone could operate a business like this, puzzles and astound's me?:yikes:

Salectric likes this.
  8. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Too funny he checked and initialed an empty bag. Maybe it is a very small part?(joke)

marka likes this.
  9. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

Bummer :( Hang in there and keep emailing Brian. I ended up ordering some of the basic parts to get my kits working from other US suppliers. I'm still waiting on a few parts yet unfortunately, but they are working and sound good.

10. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Being patient and persistent helps. I keep emailing him daily and managed to get all the essential parts. I am still missing the correct color knobs and a few screws for tightening the covers. Will resume my daily emails now that I am back from vacation. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I have followed these ANK kit build threads and found them not only interesting but entertaining. I get the idea that by providing "sweat equity" a person can end up with "more for their money". I also know I would never purchase from this company. When I give a vendor my money and he accepts it, a contract is created. ANK violates the contract in every instance multiple times. They do not supply paid for parts, the assembly instructions are incomplete and seem to resist revision. It is offensive to me to hear a paid in full customer having to make multiple phone calls in order to get what they paid for. ANK does not offer any consideration for the time and discomfort their customers must add to the purchase. What also surprises me is that so many make excuses for Brian and no one takes him to task.

jusbe, JanJ, chili555 and 7 others like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

Carry on... :waiting:

13. SandAndGlass

Funny, your views on the subject appear to be very similar to mine? I wonder why that is...

14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Lucky for Brian ANK/ AN designs good sounding products. He sure is attempting to screw up a good thing though.

15. SandAndGlass

"attempting"?

Seems to be doing a real bang up job of accomplishing it!

Drewan77 and marka like this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think there's a reason Audio Note UK has put a lot of distance between themselves and the kit company of late. No more Audio Note logos in favor of the "ANK" brand, etc.

JanJ, jusbe, Bill Hart and 2 others like this.
  17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

@DyersEve726 , how has the unit settled in as of March? I am living vicariously through you, I want you to know. This thread has made me want to hear it very badly!

18. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Wow.

Let's talk numbers, that's a $2000 kit, right? Missing a front plate even!!! And folks needing to source from elsewhere!? Why is anyone dealing with this company with even just ONE bad review at this kind of price point for a kit?

What's the return policy again?

timind, jmpsmash and jusbe like this.
  19. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

@dyerseve726

did you say you heard a nice difference in adding NOS rectifier and choke tubes vs stock?

20. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Hi,

I swapped all stock tubes came with my 3.1 DAC. used GE 5687 to NOS Tungsol 5687. what a positive difference!
    stock current (Russian) production ECL82 to NOS Tungsram. didn't care too much with the difference there if there is any. I just bought a NOS Telefunken ECL82 ;)
    stock Russian NOS 6x5 wasn't too bad. First I got Sylvania I didn't like it. went for Bendix 5852, that is what I settled with. better!

21. finn

finn Forum Resident

Bendix 5852 tube is not a drop in replacement for a 6x5, its current draw is 1.2 amps as opposed to 600ma for the 6x5 and could cause the mains transformer to run hot and potentially short. It's a very good sounding tube if the operating requirements are met correctly.

22. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

I am well aware of the Bendix tube double filament current demand. but I kept it. DAC running for hours several times and so far no trouble.
    what is a good choice on the 6x5 among NOS tubes?

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I’ve had this Bendix tube in my P3 for about six months now. It’s the second of two rectifier tubes, and I think the 5U4g has more influence on the sound. I also used it in my M2 and unverifiable internet innuendo claimed Peter is a fan. What do you think, okay in that application? I guess if one has to ask it’s a problem.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

I really didn't notice much of a difference. Possibly a little tighter and less lush with the NOS 6x5, but I remember the difference being subtle enough to possibly just be in my mind. I left the 6x5 in. The NOS pre tubes rocked my socks off though, lol. Love the Bugle Boys and haven't even thought of looking for something else.

SandAndGlass and Kray like this.
  25. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I've been dying to purchase a high end ANK DAC or Phono Pre because I love putting together kits. The repeated horror stories about the delivered products has kept me from doing so. Many recommend going elsewhere, but my question is where? I've done Bottlehead and Elekit, which I love (and the customer service is fantastic), but they don't do DACs and higher end phono pre's. Any suggestions? Again, I'm looking for some high end stuff with the great C-Core transformers, etc.

Giving Brian the benefit of the doubt, he could be shipping incomplete kits so people can get started on a build. Say he's missing some Audio Note capacitors and a couple resistors, which are backordered. Wouldn't you rather get the kit without those parts (assuming the omissions are well documented) so you can start your build and then the parts come a couple weeks later? Of course, the reality appears that he is just sloppy on his kit delivery and the purchasers are left to figure it out and/or constantly badger him. I'm also wary of the many complaints that the manuals are out of date. That is a recipe for disaster for people like me that love to build the kits, but don't have a background in electronics to figure out how to deal with this safely. It's already hair-raising enough to take live voltage measurements on your new build when the instructions are top notch. :yikes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.