Audio Note Kit DAC 2.1 Build

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

It appears Brian is continuing to have challenges in the customer service area. I recall reading similar stories several years ago. My only experience with ANK is with a DAC 3.1 Sugnature that I bought used. It had been assembled by “Digital Pete” who does all of Brian’s assembled units. The DAC impressed me as having very nice build quality and part selection for the price. I would think it is a pretty easy kit for someone with even a little experience. Unfortunately I never liked the sound so it has moved on to another owner.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

On top of everything else, I doubt that the OP needed to hear this. :help:

3. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

That's the plan. At least I got the correct tube and resistor now, so my cost after this debacle will be low.

No ****! Haha

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Well, that is just one opinion (actually two since my son heard it and had the same reactions). There are a lot of other people who do like the ANK DACs. And I would also add that I think the weak part of the 3.1 DAC is the output transformers; the 2.1 doesn’t use output transformers. I suspect if you use top quality coupling caps in the 2.1 it may sound better than the 3.1.

5. SandAndGlass

I was just kidding with the poster and the OP.

But, while I might have considered an ANK DAC at one time, this thread has already quenched that idea. In addition there seems to be questions about the sound of one. Which would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I am considering an external DAC just to use with my CD transsport, which is an Oppo 203.

The one that I would be buying would be a Border Patrol.

6. DyersEve726

Oooooo ****! My tubes be glowin.

[​IMG]

Since I don't even want to talk to Brian anymore, can any kit builders tell me how close I have to be to target voltage out to my line board? Calls for 260V and I get like 267V. Seems reasonable...

marka, Encore, SandAndGlass and 2 others like this.
  7. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

It’s ALIVE!!!!!! ........awesome!

8. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

That voltage difference is not significant.

timind likes this.
  9. DyersEve726

Thanks!

10. SandAndGlass

No smoke, so it's reasonable!

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It will probably come down to the rated voltage when the load is connected to the supply.

12. DyersEve726

Of course, I'm getting to the end here and these instructions are just KILLING me. Nothing makes any sense. :cussing:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. DyersEve726

I would have finished tonight if I hadn't spent so much time deciphering these cryptic instructions. Pretty sure I managed to figure it out down to the last few steps, but my digital board literally looks absolutely nothing like the instructions and nothing is labeled...I'm going to have to call Brian tomorrow to finish up. Hopefully I can manage to clean up this wiring a little, but I'm not sure how much I care at this point, lol.

[​IMG]

timind, SandAndGlass and jeffsab like this.
  14. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

Hi DyersEve726. If it's of any help here is a gallery of my successful DAC 2.1 build from earlier in the year: ANK DAC 2.1

This thread has been a difficult read, as my kit was also delivered missing many parts, or had parts of the wrong value. It was even missing the instruction manual itself... Like another poster, I also bit the bullet and purchased replacement parts myself. Also a novice, I certainly learned a bit more than I expected too!

It's unfortunate, mostly because Brian appears to be a real good guy and the product is top notch. Hopefulyl you'll at least get to enjoy some great tunes at the end of it.

If you have any other questions, I'll attempt to answer them for you.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  15. DyersEve726

Well crap. I have no idea how I did this. I just kept hearing jingling while I was working on things after testing the power supply and eventually narrowed it down to this tube and clearly a part broke off and is just floating around in there. Anyone know where I can get a new ECL82 with rush shipping? I was SO looking forward to having this going this weekend.

EDIT: I think I already got my answer. Unless it's on amazon prime, I'm screwed for the weekend. I'm feeling really down on my luck over all this. Ordered a replacement on Tubedepot, Mullard, so hopefully it doesn't break when I sneeze in its general direction.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

Woah! That looks like the getter came off! Didn't know that could happen... I've gotten tubes from Tube World Express pretty fast.

17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

18. DyersEve726

I thought it was crazy too! I mean, sure, the board moved around a little while I was wiring other stuff up, but I feel like I'd recall jarring it enough for something like that to happen. I used to basically throw my Soldano guitar amp around and never had anything like this happen. Defective maybe?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

The tube must have been faulty. Tubes aren't supposed to be that fragile. Get yourself a decent NOS tube while you're at it.

slcaudiophile likes this.
  20. DyersEve726

I can't catch a break :mudscrying:

I've already emailed a couple hifi shops in nearby cities in hopes of finding one tomorrow.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I hope you succeed.

22. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

My first post above is waiting for moderator approval, but I thought it may be helpful if I posted my voltage readings for you to compare to. These are from my build notes - which are a little hard to read :)

Power supply without tubes:
    300 to 300 = 650VAC
    300 to GND = 325VAC
    6V2 = 6.4 VDC

Power supply with tubes:
    B+ to GND = 270VDC
    300 to 300 = 640VAC
    13v6 to 13v6 = 8VAC
    6v2 = 6.4VDC

Digital PSU (not wired to digital board):
    A+ to AGND = 11.95VDC
    D+ to DGND = 11.95VDC
    A- to AGND = 11.95VDC

Digital PSU (wired to digital board):
    A+ to AGND = 9.5VDC
    D+ to DGND = 9.5VDC
    A- to AGND = 10.5VDC

Hope that's of some use.

23. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I can't thank the OP enough for starting this thread. You might have saved me from what you are going through. I really hope that thing sounds fantastic when you get it going.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

If you can't find the tube locally, try Brendan Bievers at Tube World- he's in Wisconsin and will ship priority-- mostly old tubes, but he's pretty good if you are going to pay any money for a tube-in terms of advising on sound. I have never used that tube and have no recommendation on a particular brand/style/era. Brent Jesse is good too on NOS, and will also ship fast if you make sure to ask. Didn't research if that tube was used in any guitar amps, but an instrument repair shop is also a source for this in a pinch.

SandAndGlass and DyersEve726 like this.
  25. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

i would have paid the $250 to have them build it :)

SandAndGlass and Doug Walton like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.