Audio Note speakers and SS amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't comment on any part of that other than the Cambridge is definitely worth trying. I had one of those and as you say it's a good neutral-sounding amp - not warm or punchy but enough low end, and power, to let you know if the brightness issue lies elsewhere as such. IIRC it's also got bass/treble adjustment knobs so you can play around with those too.

2. Shiver

First Watt are intriguing for sure. Even pondered a couple of 2nd hand kit-based (but completed) ones that were available and seemed good value.

3. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident

Just curios where does the AN E SPe HE blue colored cone stands among various AN E speakers?

4. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Even for me AX-2 is bit of high frequency emphasized, however can get better lower end if placed in corner, bass is good for its size , but in my previous house AX-2 sounded booming when placed in corner.
    However with minimum trade off I am not able to find better sounding speaker in this price range, which can driven with 10 watts amplifier

bhazen and Shiver like this.
  5. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

the AN-E Spe HE is really the sweet spot in the E line. I think there is 16 different versions of the E speaker, beginning with the E/D and ending with the E SOGON. The AN-E Spe HE is number 8 in the line, so right in the middle.

imo, the best examples of the E are: AN-E Spe HE, then the AN-E / SPx Alinco, then the AN-E SEC Signature, and then of course the SOGON.

Correction: looking at their 2019 price list, they begin with the AN-E LX (not the E/D) and end with the AN-E SOGON ... so they make 14 different E models :)

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Rob Hume likes this.
  6. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

OK, I went back and forth between the PL and the Quad Elite monos a couple of times, and... on the whole I prefer the Quads with my AZ Twos. A very balanced and versatile combo. The PL always sounds a little too recognizably like itself (could be a matter of tube choice), with the Quads being just very balanced and almost inaudible as far as having (not having) an audible identity. I love that.

The Quads have way too much power for the AZ Twos though. I can barely turn the volume on and even when I turn the Quads on (they say a low "oomph" when I do), I can see the woofers move about an inch forward. A bit worrying maybe.

I am starting to get a picture of the AZ Two's limitations as well (naturally they have some, as they are entry level AN). The AZ Twos have a lovely natural and lively way of portraying acoustic instruments, but their limitations are in resolution and imaging capabilities. This becomes quite clear now that I have been comparing different amps for them. Still a lovely organic speaker for acoustic music specifically.

Shiver likes this.
  7. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I am not familiar with Quad Elite amps but I have to wonder if that turn-on pulse you described is normal behavior. Most modern solid state amps have a relay that protects the speakers from DC offset on turn on and turn off. I would be concerned about possible long-term damage to my speakers from such extreme cone movement.

Yet another reason to use tube amps...….

8. G B Kuipers

Wondering about that myself. I will look into having them checked. Both mono amps give the exact same turn-on pulse.

9. Shiver

Interesting stuff. Your findings on the PL and Quads mirror my own really (insomuch as seeming similar enough models); likewise the AZ-twos. I really did love the PL amp's character, but no wouldn't have called it see-through.

My Quad also makes a gentle whoomp noise on start up. First amp that's done it - valve or SS. I have seen it referred to before, but no warnings about it as such. It doesn't sound/feel alarming and I've not noticed it moving the speaker cones... but an inch does sound a bit worrying! Presume you're using the amp's on/off button and not via the wall socket (which would be bad)?

G B Kuipers likes this.
  10. G B Kuipers

Thanks! Interesting that we seem in agreement about the PL and Quad's strong points and weaknesses. As I hear it, the PL has lots of body and punch in the mids that seems to be complementary to the rather polite mids of the Audio Note AZs. With more neutral ss amps like the Quads, these speakers seem to de-emphasize a little of that mid punch on some recordings (OTOH, depending on the situation, this can be helpful as this is where some 'ugliness' can reside on lesser recordings).

I've checked the turn on phenomenon again, looking closely at the woofer movement (indeed using the on/off button). Agree that the thump sounds gentle and not really alarming. Perhaps an inch of woofer movement, as stated earlier, was a little exaggerated. It's more like half an inch really. I think it's okay.

Shiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.