Audio Note Synergy

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by neilspeed, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilspeed

neilspeed Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am posting a few pics of my Audio Note system that I have had for more than a year. So, I am over the effects of any new purchase excitement. Over the many years I have been in this hobby/madness I have had many components including Leben, Devore, Auditorium, Wilson Audio, Pass Labs, Krell, Parasound JCs, etc. to name a few. Thus; I went through component matching many brands with some success. However; when I heard a complete Audio Note system it just sounded right to my ears. This system sounds good in my bright Miami room and I spend more time listening to music and less time trying to improve the system sound than I did in the past. I think it is an affordable way to enjoy an AN system without breaking the bank. If I were to move further up the food chain and I wanted to improve on the sound I most likely would try moving a little further up the AN totem pole. Also, since I don’t listen to digital I can put more resources towards upgrading the analog portion of the system.

dunkyboy, Gjo, jenkovix and 37 others like this.
  2. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

This is really nice. Minimalist and very well chosen equipment. I’m working on an all Audio Note system as well, but not quite there yet.

Is that an artificial corner on the right? What did you fill the box with?

neilspeed likes this.
  3. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

Everyone who loves music is looking to "spend more time listening to music and less time trying to improve the system sound" and you did that. Congratulations!

4. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Nice setup but please tell us that that isn't your complete vinyl collection :)

neilspeed likes this.
  5. neilspeed

Yes, that is my entire collection - so far. I listen to mostly classic rock, reggae, and other more main stream music from the 80's, 70's etc, so it is quite a challenge getting audiophile quality recordings. It is a lot easier if you are into the hardcore jazz or classical music.:)

SandAndGlass and james like this.
  6. neilspeed

Audio Note speakers sound best when placed along the rear and side walls. However; since I do not have a side wall in that spot I am using a temporary box stuffed with cardboard.:laugh: Glad to hear you are building a similar system. Feel free to ask me any questions on what I have learned so far building mine.

gazzt- likes this.
  7. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

I'm interested in your thoughts about the AN table you have. How does it compare to other tables you have owned in the past? Or is it your first? I am also working my way toward an all AN system. Just need a pair of AN amps (quests? Empress?). I'm keeping my O96's.

8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Looks like a very pleasant room to kick back in and get lost in the tunes!

neilspeed likes this.
  9. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

What is inserted into the electrical outlet?

10. neilspeed

I use Audience power cables plugged into an Audience AR2P power conditioner then into a Hubbell IG5362 duplex receptacle. The conditioner does clear things up and really improves detail.

Eskimo Chain likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Nice setup. Gotta love the look of those Timbernation racks.

neilspeed likes this.
  12. neilspeed

The AN turntable is a pain to set up. My AN dealer was out of state and even recommended that I get someone else to set it up as he wasn't able to do it. It took research, purchasing various tools, and trial and error to get it accurate. It is not well marked and the documentation is minimal. For example, I purchased a tonearm headshell level for three bucks from Sleeve City two weeks ago that disclosed my tonearm height was a little off.
    I did have a setup similar to yours that included the Devore 93 and Auditorium 93 cables. I cannot advice you on other turntables as the ones I have heard were matched with other components. I really like the sound of the AN turntable; however; to move further up the chain here can get really expensive as the AN SUTs and MCs are pricey.
    I think you are on the right track with the Quest or Empress amps. Let me know how they sound when you decide on a pair.

SandAndGlass and Tlay like this.
  13. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. Too bad one practically needs a dealer to get the TT setup well. Especially since I'm the type of a person who will mess it up if possible. There is no AN dealer anywhere close to me unfortunately. I'll let you know which amps I decide on when I get a bit more feedback. I'm sure the synergy with my M3 pre will sound great. Curiously, what was the difference in sound signature between your AN speakers and the Devores?

14. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

This model is a suspended 'table, isn't it?

15. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Anyone who is familiar with turntable setup can work with a TT2 or TT1 from Audio Note - they don’t have to be an AN dealer. If they know how to mount a cartridge correctly (this does take experience, but that’s true for most turntables) there isn’t much else to it. The AN decks use a three point spring suspension design, but they are one of the easiest to work with and tune correctly. Unlike other suspension designs like the classic Linn and Thorens decks, the AN adjustments are made from the top of the table and there is a lot of room for adjustment.

I speak from experience owning the Systemdek IIX (which was the basis of the AN design and is reflected nearly unchanged in their TT1), Linn LP12, and Thorens TD125. The AN suspension is an absolute pleasure to work with compared to those.

alan967tiger, blind_melon1 and Tlay like this.
  16. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

That's reassuring. Thank you. It is on my shortlist.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  17. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’m lucky to have two good corners and concrete walls for my AN-E/LX Hemp!

18. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

What are the speaker specs if you don't mind me asking? Really like the setup you have going on and would love to have something similar at some point down the road.

19. neilspeed

Yes, it is a suspended table. There are three adjustment screws on top for easy leveling.

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. neilspeed

After spending the better part of my Sunday morning setting up a train for my son the AN turntable setup doesn't seem that bad now:o

jonwoody likes this.
  21. neilspeed

Yes I wish I had a better room. That would be my single most significant improvement I could make to this system. I think the AN speakers were designed for the old English homes with solid walls.

scobb likes this.
  22. neilspeed

They are the AN-E/SPe HE. They are the higher efficiency model at 97.5 d/B.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

There’s a bit more info in the manual as well, just depends on the model you select (High vs standard efficiency).

http://audionote.co.uk/downloads/manuals/AN-E Manual Post 1016.pdf

24. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@neilspeed Lovely looking AN set up! The TT2 did you compare it to any others prior to purchase?:)

neilspeed likes this.
  25. neilspeed

Thanks Andy. I was only able to listen to a few that I could remember. One was the Thorens 124 with Koetsu which was very detailed. One I was also interested in but never heard was the Well Tempered. However; after mix and matching many components over the years with different levels of success I had come to a point where I was more focused on synergy and I figured this was the way to go. I am really happy with what I have and if I did upgrade the other components I would go further up the Audio Note line with separates. I would like and AN SUT and MC cartridge but their MC cartridges are very expensive. So I am open to trying other MC cartridges & SUTs.

Andy Saunders likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.