New Audio Note UK AN-E/SEC Signature speakers on their way from the UK.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I've been informed that a big package for me has left Viscount House. A pair of new AN-E/SEC Signature speakers (with external crossovers) and another pair of the wonderful Audio Note version of the famous 211 transmitting tube called the 4242e for my Jinro integrated amp.

So, I'm excited about this. I've seen pictures of a few of the SEC sig speakers but have never seen or heard them in person so this is big for me. How are these going to differ from my current AN speakers the AN-E/SPx HE Alnico? It will be interesting to me (and I would assume to all of you Audio Note fans) to compare and contrast.

I don't even know what the heck they are going to look like. I picked Cherry wood, similar to the ones I have now but in looking at pics on line of this model, no two versions of this look alike. I requested the version with external crossover boxes (black) but as for the actual speaker, are they the same dimensions as the other AN-E's? I assume they are. I guess I will find out soon enough but typical of hunting for Audio Note info on the Internet, most Google searches show reviews from 2005 or older OR come back to this forum and the threads I've started, mainly this one:

Audio Note UK AN-E speaker choices, from cheapest to most expensive. A handy and useful chart..

So that is silly.

At any rate, the US retail price for these is just under $73,000.00. After all, everything is silver wire and high grade. These aren't even top of the line for AN speakers! But they are up there so it will be interesting.

Please note: I did not demand or even request these, I'm not a pig. Peter at Audio Note UK offered them by suggesting to me that I might like them so he had a pair built for me. A long term loan.

DHL says they were shipped yesterday and will be here on the 29th but we all know how that goes. Customs has their own ideas but it won't be too long so stay tuned!

2. Steve Hoffman

If any of you have heard these, please feel free to chime in. All the reviews I've read love the speakers, but they are from like 2003. Possibly the specs have changed since then.

Thanks.

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I heard the SEC and did not even know it. I went to my local dealership and when I went into his Audio Note room, I heard something much better than usual--more alive, vibrant and clear sounding, while being rich and full as usual. I asked the dealer what was different with the setup. He chided me for not noticing that it was not the usual AN-E in the corner of the room. I hardly notice how things look anyway.

Once, I heard a particularly nice presentation in that room and asked about the mono-bloc amps that were driving the system (they looked like generic AN gear). He pointed out that they were Kageki's, which are amps that I own. I had no idea what Kageki's look like when they are facing the right way because I installed mine with the ass facing forward (more convenient because the power switch is on the back of the amp).

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  4. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’ve heard the SEC Sigs, but they were part of a level 5 system consisting of an Ongaku, M9, CDT 5, DAC5 and the new TT-3. It definitely sounded better than my L3 system, but it was not easy to attribute that to a single component. The feeling portrayed by that system was the closest thing to a live performance I’ve ever experienced. From a small intimate venue to large scale stuff, it didn’t matter; the system was so clearly superior. This type of realism is what drew me to AN, but it really does seem to get better as you move up. And I think AN has done a good job with their level ratings.

So...I think your new speakers will be a great step up. Plus, selling your current E’s shouldn’t be a problem.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Congratulations Steve! A lovely perk for all your good works (and good words.) :)

6. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Steve, looking forward to reading your thoughts on the fantastic new speakers!

7. Steve Hoffman

Sell them? They are not mine to sell!

SandAndGlass and moops like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

OK, I got the US retail price on these. Close to $73,000.00 Not cheap but for those who can afford it....

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Ohh, I missed that detail. In any event, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the two models compare after you’ve had a chance to get to know the SEC.

10. finn

finn Forum Resident

I think that you would need to give a minimum run in time of 150 hours given the use of the Sogon LX96 as the wiring harness and the larger copper foil caps in the X- overs. The difference in sound over the AN-E SPx internal X over versions will surprise you in playing back recordings you are familiar with. The main frequency range that changes is the bass weight and scale. Mids and highs are significantly more articulate and detail spatial cues catch you out constantly.
    Enjoy.

11. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Since the new AN speakers and his previous AN speakers (AN/E-AlNiCo) speakers were/are on extended loan to Steve, now the AN/E-AlNiCo will be returned to Audio Note though me as Steve's local Audio Note dealer. So, as of now, they are for sale as demo stock through The Audio Home. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

marka, SandAndGlass, spartree and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, looking forward to it.

13. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

I’ve had mine for around 6 weeks now. They are lovely speakers! Mine were bought from a customer in Lithuania who hadn’t used them for more than a few hours as he decided to buy the Sogon’s instead. My experience has been :

First 40/50 hours or so very good sound then a big drop until around 200 hours. During that phase I wanted my Spe’s back :). After that it was a yo yo type upward curve until around 500 hours when the improvements slowed down. At around 650 hours now. To stay they are better than my previous Spe HE is an understatement. More open, detailed, organic and refined with better control. You’ll realise just how good your M9 is when you’ve broke them in.

Happy listening!

marka and Don Parkhurst like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for your thoughts!

15. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of the AN-E/SPx HE Alnico that are going be replaced?

16. Steve Hoffman

I do. Let me look.

Edit: Here you go. Cherry gloss. They picked it for me, it is much prettier in person..

C4A48A90-702B-47AE-ACCB-439EFFC70B6F.jpeg

Doug Smith, marka, tumpux and 2 others like this.
  17. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the picture. That looks like a very nice finish! I like it better than the darker woods.

What do you use to attach the speaker to the stands?

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Hopefully, we will get to have a good comparison from Steve first!

So that we can compare apples to apples with this comparison, what would be the current retail price on the AN/E-AlNiCo speakers that Steve currently has on loan?

19. Steve Hoffman

Blu-tack, one tiny dot at each of the four corners. The @Warren Jarrett method.

20. Steve Hoffman

342A7BAF-D8B7-4781-B743-232842AA60D2.jpeg 81EA087B-AF9F-4CB4-8C45-26D2E609DEF5.jpeg Getting ready.

21. Steve Hoffman

The shipping boxes are marked Palisander Piano. So beautiful Palisander, bookmarked with a high gloss finish. Should be quite nice.. Isn't Palisander basically a highly figured rosewood?

22. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Did any CITES paperwork come with them? I think palisander means rosewood in German.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Could be, the speakers were made in Austria. No paperwork included for me, but there wouldn't be. Remember, the speakers were made in that little Austrian village where all the electricity is provided by a water wheel in a trout stream. :^)

If it is Madagascar it's highly restricted. And friggin' expensive. I have two Martin Guitars with Madagascar Rosewood bodies and they are twice as much as East Indian Rosewood but what an amazing sound and feel..

Don Parkhurst and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Yeah, love the sound of my 000-28. Mine is probably, indian. I don't begin to understand all of the CITES stuff. I know retailers in the US are hesitant to ship outside of the country becaus of all of the regulations. The veneer on your speakers may not weigh enough, to even qualify.

25. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

These are magnificent speakers. I have the Spe Signature, and they are deeply fulfilling. The external crossovers make a big difference.

Each to his own, but I think high end AN gear continues to improve even after two years of use! These speakers have a long and beautiful burn in curve

slcaudiophile and Salectric like this.