Audio Note UK Ongaku Kensei 211 valve Single Ended Triode balanced amplifier now up & running!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Send me a matched pair and I'll check them out. I've never even seen one.

2. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

I have an unused/tested matched pair I can send. Where to?

I have a handful of the 6106 (5Y3) Bendix "Red Banks" if you haven't tried those either.

Always good to share. :)

IanL likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Well, if you're serious, I've always wanted to review them. Go to the top and where it says 'INBOX" start a "private conversation" with me, we'll exchange numbers.. Thanks.

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Getting a pair of Bendix 5992's to try in place of the RCA 6V6GTY.

Usually, for me, overbuilt octal tubes don't always SOUND the best, like Red Base RCA octal 5691/92 that everyone raved about in Sound Practices magazine back in the 1990s. I found them lacking and less tuneful than a run of the mill RCA 6SN7/L7.

But, this seems to be a special case. The Bendix tubes are about 2oo bucks for a matched pair out they so not totally overpriced. Will be interesting to compare! Never, ever had a Bendix tube in any of my gear before!

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's great. I hope they shine

6. Steve Hoffman

It will be interesting. A few hundred bucks is not much when the amp is at this price point. And Bendix tubes are out there, not exactly rare, because of the JAN thing. So my review might (key word "might") be useful to some...

7. Steve Hoffman

W,

Many thanks for the Bendix Aviation Co. Red Bank tubes! No idea what I'm going to try the 5Y3 in, probably a guitar amp that needs some extra sag or something.

The 5992s will go in the Ongaku and I'll do a nice break-in. 1955 must have been a good year for the Signal Corp.!

bendix one.png bendix two.png

8. Steve Hoffman

@John Mee suggested a replacement rectifier set for the Ongaku when we broke bread last year but I've forgotten what tube he suggested. John, can you remind me?

Right now I'm using the Raytheon Potato Masher as supplied.. tube 1.jpg

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You gotta love those red base Bendix tubes. Good enough for ICBM guidance systems, good enough for Hi Fi.

10. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, the Bendix tubes were built to withstand space flight, nuclear war, gravitational singularity, guided missile launchings and Fender guitar amps!

Wally Swift, Encore and Rolltide like this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Really wonderful boxes too. Just seeing those takes me back to a gentler time.

12. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

You can get them at upscale Audio:
    Philips 5R4GYS Made in Holland

13. Steve Hoffman

Ah, yes, John, that was it, thank you. I’ll get a pair from Kevin Deal and compare.

14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

AFAIK, they are directly heated rectifiers, so they won't be as gentle on the other NOS tubes in amp ... :sigh:

IanL and Steve Hoffman like this.
  15. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

Me too! Bendix conservatively rated the 5992 with a 10,000 hour life expectancy so I've seen a number of used pulls sold as NOS-strong, but these were the last unused pair I had (out of a matched quad).

I dug up an old 6V6 tube review in Vacuum Tube Valley, Summer/Fall 1998, and for the Bendix 5992 they concluded "without a doubt, this was the best sounding hi-fi tube", but they also tested it in a guitar amp and were unimpressed. My experience is similar. And I expect distortion, like what we love in a guitar amp, isn't the desired outcome in a tube built for an ICBM. With that said, I can't imagine a better test than in an Audio Note Ongaku Kensei.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

1955 Bendix "Red Bank" 5992 tubes installed in AN UK Ongaku. Interesting sound. Different from the RCA 6V6 greys. I'll have to listen for a while to get a handle on it. Very smooth sounding...

The furnished GE 211's (VT-4-C) US Army Signal Corp. output tubes are from 1942.

Lots of old stuff happening with this amp!

By the way, the balanced Sootto interconnect sent to me with this amp has 120 strands of pure silver in each conductor, split between 3 different wire gauges. It sounds fantastic with a price tag to match...

17. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

Great to hear the 5992's are working after sleeping for the past sixty odd years. They ought to become more detailed as they continue to wake up.

It's amazing that tubes from so many years ago are still in use and making great music. 1942. Wow!

18. Steve Hoffman

And I appreciate your sending me the Bendix tubes. A treat for me, first Red Bank tubes I've ever played with.

19. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the sootto! As you know our systems are pretty similar and the only other cable I have heard in the same class is the Stealth Sakra V12.

20. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

21. Steve Hoffman

22. cobbler

cobbler Forum Resident

23. Steve Hoffman

Still breaking in but they sound great so far. I'm enjoying the break-in process!

anonymous likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

My Ongaku Kensei amplifier has broken in fully and is remarkable sounding. It's also $140,000.

I played my Audio Note UK Jinro yesterday for a few of Warren's clients and was again impressed how wonderful this copper version of the Ongaku is. The price is actually lower than it was 5 years ago, down to $21,000. If you have the bread, the AN UK JINRO is the way to go. It's beautiful looking and beautiful sounding. The clients were quite impressed.. ElrogH211amp.jpg

AN Compare6h.jpg Audio-Note-Jinro-Integrated-211-Tube-Amplifier.jpg audio note jinro rectifier tubes.jpg

Dan Steele and Don Parkhurst like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

@John Mee just informed me that the AN UK Ongaku Kensei is now considerably less than 140k. It's gone down like the Jinro. Great news for us Americans.

Thanks for the info, John.