Audio Research SP-6 as phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by NealW, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NealW

NealW New Member Thread Starter

just wanted to thank someone (not sure who) who suggested one looks at a audio research pre-amp to use as a phono stage. the tape out is used to connect to my Naim pre-amp. I had a EAR 834P which i was happy with but after this tip i managed to get hold of an SP-6B and boy was i blown away. deeper tighter bass, bigger soundstage, "air between the instruments" unbealiveable sweet sound from top to bottom and improved detail. i spent last night listening to tons of my LP's because the sound was so good. albums that i thought screeched a little (king crimson - in the wake of poseidin) came out tight and exciting. the other thing was that because of the tighter sound my room which has a tendacy to reinforce bass boom has improved imeasurably.

anyway i truly feel this has been the best purchase i have made in hi-fi and its inspiring me to look for something a little more exciting in my turntable (i have basic micro seiki BL 10X).

thanks to whoever it was who suggested the audio research and to anyone else looking for a phono stage this is the way to go.

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The SP-9's no slouch either. In fact the phono section is the best thing about it. If it were not a hybrid lacking that all-tube magic of the SP-3 or -6, I would have kept on using it, but those transistors in its line-out are a bit zippy.

3. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

I had a 6B when it came out in early 80's and loved it! I finally sold it a few years ago but also agree with you the phono was quite good and still held its' own after all those years. Quality ECC83/12AX7 tubes helps a lot, too.

4. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

As good as the SP6 phono stage is (and it IS good), the MM stage in the new SP16 is so much better it's not funny. As a former SP6A owner, and now a SP16 owner, I've had the chance to do some in-depth comparisons. Enjoy the SP6 now, but if you get the chance to listen to the SP16, you just might sell that Naim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.