Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. CX2000

CX2000 Well-Known Member

I’m confident enough to try, bajaed. After all, the learning and experience (and experimenting) is half the fun. If it turns out that I give up, will look for a pro to do it for me but then I’d always be dependent on someone else to make the changes I may want to try. We will see

Thanks. Will take you up on it once I get my feet wet. And thanks for starting this thread. Appears that at least a half dozen folks have either procured an Art9 or are going to because of what they’ve read here. I know that I’m one that did. I think that my true challenge will be to leave things alone once I get everything set up properly. And that means not looking to make more and more ‘improvements” (or upgrades).

Cheers,
    John

macster likes this.
  2. ProfessorC1983

ProfessorC1983 Forum Resident

So the net net is that you guys are giving me permission to pull the trigger on the ART9 currently in the classifieds and run it on my SL1200MkII which should be golden since I have the KAB fluid damper, right?? :angel::agree::love::winkgrin:

3. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Bingo, you have received the message clearly it seems. Giddyup!

ProfessorC1983 likes this.
  4. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

The members here always seem to have the answeres and I didn't really where else to post this... so I thought I would give this a shot as I already have the Art9.

I was recently able to obtain a very high quality 31 band dual channel equalizer along with a calibrated mic for setup. I have matching test tones for each band as well as the appropriate software for setup and metering. My delimena is that the EQ only has the 3 pin DIN and 1/4" 3 connector microphone type jack inputs and outputs. In other words, three lead going from the connector to the input side of the circuit and another 3 leads going from the ouput side of the board to the two connectors. I would like to replace the 1/4 inch 3 connector phono input and output with standard 1/4" RCA phono jacks. Can anyone provide info or diagrams on how to change the 3 lead connector to the standard 2 leads?

I'd like to at least give this thing an audition. I've heard it hooked up with DIN and it is dead silent.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

6. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

For those running an ART-9 on a SL1200 (I have a GR), do you have any recommendations for anti-skate setting? I've seen 1.8 as a recommendation, and I've seen as low as 0.8.

I finished mounting the cart to the stock head shell the other night and installed it on my 1200GR. Learned a lesson about zeroing the balance on my tonearm by hand. I had a 2m Bronze previously (a much lighter cart, I now realize) mounted, and when I lowered the ART-9 onto my VTF gauge, it smushed the cantilever way down. I even tried playing a record that way, b/c I somehow couldn't believe the ART-9 was that much heaver than the 2M, which was equally dumb. I then came to my senses, balanced out the arm by hand, and found a 1.8g tracking force quickly with the scale. The Technics dial markings are quite accurate. Well, you learn by experience....

And thankfully the ART-9 doesn't seem to have been damaged (at least by listening to it). The cantilever does seem quite sensitive though, so that's the last time I'm putting that much force on it.

For those using adjustable-loading phono stages, I'm wondering what impedance setting you're using with the ART-9. I've got my Modwright PH-9.0 on 100 right now. The ART-9 specs say "minimum 100." Is higher actually lower (a smaller number) with impedance?

And, finally, I've got three gain settings on the Modwright: -12db, -6db, and 0db. Any suggestions about gain?

I'm sure I'll discover the best settings for my rig with trial and error, but would love to hear what's worked for others as a sort of baseline. Thanks!

Finally, I'll give my first impressions of the ART-9 (in my rig, in my room, anyway): It's detailed! Much more so than that Clearaudio Virtuoso and 2m Bronze I've tried previously. Right away, it sounded a little bright to me, but I'm wondering if that impression will shift over time as I get accustomed to the new cart. Maybe that brightness (given the detail lacking in the two MM cart) will start to sound natural. Whichever way, the brightness is not harshness, and that's quite pleasing so far. The ART-9 seems to give me less bass quantity than the MM carts, thus far, but the bass is better defined. It's there, just a bit back in the mix.

Should be a fun couple days of experimenting. Thanks to all for any thoughts/guidance!

avanti1960 and bajaed like this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Congrats on the new cartridge! Listen for the clean highly refined sound and incredibly large soundstage- I found those to be the ART9's best attributes that can compete with any cartridge I have heard.
    Double check your VTA- do you have a bubble level? My process was to start from level putting the bubble level on the flat part of the headshell assuming the table / platter is level as well.
    Adjust the VTF for the added mass of the level and note which spot on the VTA dial is level. Then start with +0.5mm tail up and hold for a while - this was the best spot for me.
    As for loading - 100 to 200 ohms worled best for me but this is an area to experiment with once the cartridge is broken in more- say after 50 hours or so- the sound will change quite a bit.
    For gain your preamp is 64db at "0" db which might be too much until it breaks in and depending on how it sounds. Start with -6db (58 db net). I ran it with 56db and then went up to 66db once it was broken in but 58db should sound excellent.
    Have fun and enjoy the sound!

8. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I’m running an AT33PTG/II on an SL-1210M5G but this works for any cartridge at any VTF: while the record is spinning and using the cue lever… lower the stylus into the dead wax at the very and of a side (ideally the dead wax just before the lockout groove) and set anti-skate so the stylus just starts to slide away from the lockout groove. Then, back off the anti-skate just enough so when you lower it into the dead wax again it doesn’t slide towards or away from the center label; it will stay still. Obviously you only have a moment in the dead wax before the groove comes along and grabs the stylus so you’ll have to get the timing just right since it happens quickly.
    If you tried this on a blank record towards the beginning of a side to get the same results you’d end up with a higher anti-skate setting. This is why it’s important to get the stylus to be still at the very, very end.
    Another thing to remember is that every time you do this the stylus tip will put little hairline scratches in the dead wax. These scratches don’t harm the stylus at all (using the cue lever of course) but they will make the stylus “stick” in the dead wax easier since it will ”ride” in these little scratches. This subsequently affects the anti-skate setting for keeping the stylus still in the dead wax. The procedure above is assuming the dead wax area will have many hairline scratches since it takes many repeated attempts to get it just right. If you don’t want to mark up the dead wax, using an old junk record will be just as good as any other.
    This technique has worked beautifully for every type of cartridge, stylus, compliance, tracking weight, and cantilever length I’ve used. It’s also recommended by Peter Ledermann, cartridge designer/builder/retipper at Soundsmith, a guy who’s made his living looking at styli wear. However, he specifically suggests that the stylus should move very very slowly towards the label in the dead wax. This is the case with a dead wax that is not scratched by the stylus tip yet. Having it stay still in dead wax will compensate for the scratches and will be essentially the same as having the stylus move slowly towards the label on smooth dead wax.
    This also results in having the stylus gently slide into the lead-grooves at the beginning of a side.
    If you ever change the VTF, no matter how little, repeat this procedure. You’ll end up with a different setting on the dial.
    You can ignore the numbers on the anti-skate dial with this method. They’re not relevant except for repeatable results.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  9. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Thanks @avanti1960 and @dconsmack !! I'm experimenting with it still, having fun comparing it to the 2m Bronze and Virtuoso. It came to me lightly used from a dealer, so I'm not out a ton of money if I don't love it. But so far so good. I can tell it's fussier about things like VTA, but I've got the appropriate bubble levels, and now it's time to break them out and really start doing fine tweaks. And to the anti-skate, too. LP playback has a learning curve to be sure! Thanks, y'all.

dconsmack likes this.
  10. avanti1960

no problem. in my system the ART9 shredded even the 2M black!

wbass likes this.
  11. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

To make things even more complicated, I also just got a lightly used Koetsu Black. I'm going to mount that one, too, when I get a chance. There's a return window on that one if I don't dig it or it's messed up. We'll see what happens! Just waiting on a new stock GR head shell to arrive. The ART-9 is staying, as I'm past the audition window, but the Koetsu was a great deal, and I thought I'd just try it, too. Somewhat cartridge overwhelmed at the moment, but having fun. All will get well used (and enjoyed) eventually.

12. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I'm thinking of buying the ART9 but I'm slightly worried that the cart output (0.5 dB 1kHz) is too high for my EAR834P (No Volume Pot) which has very high MC gain.
    Other than that the ART9 specs look very well suited to my Well-Tempered Simplex TT.

I'm currently using a Dynavector 20X2 (0.3) and a Denon DL301II (0.4...incredibly good for the price)

EAR834P Specs:

• Maximum output: 30V
    • Noise (un weighted): -80 dB (1HF)
    • Tubes: ECC83 x 3
    • MM Input sensitivity: 2.2 mV for 1 V @ 1kHz (53dB)
    • MC Input sensitivity: 0.22 mV for 1 V @ 1kHz (73dB)

What do you think?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  13. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I'd be interested in hearing what settings Art9 owners would use on a Jolida JD9?

14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Any updates on how the ART 9 is performing with the Technics?

intensemojo likes this.
  15. CX2000

CX2000 Well-Known Member

Not sure who you’re asking, Dale, but I’m happy with my Art9 on my 1200G, FWIW. And coming from a newbie like me it’s probably not worth a lot, lol.

Cheers,
    John

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Mine has around 125 hours on my 1200G. At the moment, it sounds very smooth, detailed and warm. Occasionally, I miss some of the edge that I am getting out of the Ortofons, but this is only occasionally.

17. avanti1960

the very high gain of the jd9 kind of makes me nervous not just for the ART9 but any cartridge. chances are good that they have accounted for this in the design but i have never heard one to confirm, but many people use and love them.
    for the ART9 start with mc high 75db gain and 100 ohms input resistance. capacitance does not affect a lomc cartridge, just use the default setting or 47pf.
    if the gain is too high or low, adjust down or up from 75db.

bajaed likes this.
  18. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident

Just pulled the trigger on an ART9! Will be my fist LOMC cartridge.

19. avanti1960

absolutely perfect with your system from turntable to speakers! vinyl is going to sound amazing!
    congrats!
    what will your first record be?

Deadly_Icy_Calm likes this.
  20. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Not sure on first record. Likely one of the new MOFI Dire Straits releases or GD Blues for Allah

bajaed likes this.
  21. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

When does it arrive?

22. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Should be mid-week

bajaed likes this.
  23. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Anyone have the ART9 on a Scout? I'm trying to set the vta on mine and I'm having trouble with it. I've set the arm level with a medium weight record. The cart looks parallel to the record's surface. When I look at the stylus with a magnifying loupe it's angled forward as if the arm has been raised at the back way too much . If I try to angle the stylus straight up I have to lower the back of the arm until I almost run out of adjustment. Should the stylus on this cart be angled forward with the arm level? I don't have a microscope so I'm having to use a loupe to set it up and maybe I'm seeing things but I don't think so.

24. avanti1960

slovell likes this.
  25. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That's probably close to where it is now. I'll try finishing it by ear. Thanks.

avanti1960 likes this.