Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

interesting. listening with a good set of phones you can see why the ART9 was such a superstar - superb bass and zero fatigue although this recording makes it sound muddier than mine ever was.
    the ART9XI as a direct replacement sounded very good but more open and neutral than the '9. I hope AT didn't screw the pooch.

PoeRaider and bajaed like this.
  2. Peter van de Beek

Peter van de Beek Forum Resident

My choice for buying the ART7 was that the coil inductance is 8μH where about every other AT is about 22~25μH. This will keep the "coloration" of the cartridge by design lower then all iron-core coils, which is most all available cartridges. The succesor of the ART7, the ART9XA does have a coil inductance of 2,5μH. This should make the '9XA even more neutral.

I do must say that I gave the ART7 a lot of burn-in time before the lower end was as I wanted it. I came from a AT33PTG/II btw.

For the record, a MM-cartridge does have a coil inductance in the range of about 200~600mH.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    avanti1960 likes this.
  3. Peter van de Beek

Peter van de Beek Forum Resident

Ah, thanks Davey. I corrected it in my post. I knew this too, but I just pasted the μH just too much.

4. avanti1960

Interesting post, I had heard this about inductance value relating to coloration but it seems not all cartridges publish this spec. My Ortofon MC is very low in coloration audibly but I can't find the inductance spec but I assume it is high based on .5mv output voltage.
    On the other side are Soundsmith cartridges, a MIMC "fixed coil" moving iron cartridge is spec'd at 2.5mH (25oo uH !) per channel. This must explain why they typically sound so rich.

Peter van de Beek likes this.
  5. avanti1960

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've gotta stay away from threads like this and just enjoy my VM95ML!

DaMoodyBlues, macster and heyMo like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

It's listed at amazon from Audio-Technica at $1290, though also listed as temporarily not available. I suspect that will be the US retail price, so when available, you should be able to get it direct from AT for 15% less, or about $1100. Still high, but it probably won't come down for awhile.

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. DaMoodyBlues

DaMoodyBlues Senior Member

Hopefully that comes down to about $1200 or less. I probably have 2-3 years left on mine. BIIN it still getting better.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. DaMoodyBlues

10. avanti1960

wow amazon is selling them direct.
    the cutaway section of the coil assembly is telling, how precise the coils and cantilever are positioned. anther thing about the ART9 is that the sound was always dead center- few cartridges I have owned had a consistent dead center balanced image. even my current ortofon is off a little despite best attempts at adjustments

mreeter, timzigs and DaMoodyBlues like this.
  11. DaMoodyBlues

My finding also, IME it is the ONLY cartridge that I have ever had that has perfect channel balance. So nice

avanti1960 likes this.
  12. Davey

I see the new AT-ART9XA listed for $1000 from one of the dealers on USAM, so should be readily available soon. Not sure why they are taking so long in the rollout, maybe COVID-19 related delays.

Peter van de Beek and mreeter like this.
  13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Hi, sorry to derail the thread but this not worth starting a new one. It's just a thought at the moment but I am toying with the idea of trying a Benz MC may be a low output ACE or a woody, don't ask me which. Since you seem to have one do you have any comment as to the sonic differences vs the AT's

Thanks!

14. Davey

I kinda compared them on the previous page, not directly on the same table, but the tables were pretty close together :)

The Benz Micro cartridges have always just had a little more natural sound to me, just make me more comfortable, like getting rid of feedback loops in amps, moving away from electrolytic caps, moving to low diffraction speakers, and low torque/low feedback turntables, along those lines... but that said, I've come to appreciate the AT moving coils a lot over the last couple years, I think the AT-OC9XML is an outstanding cart at the price.

Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  15. Uglyversal

16. Uglyversal

Sorry I've read this thread ages ago when it started but I've didn't followed to know my reply was on the previous page:o

Put in other words, do I get this right and you think the Benz is more musical while the AT perhaps more rough sounding?

EDIT: I don't know why the quote didn't work right but I think is still clear, is it?

17. avanti1960

18. Davey

I didn't say one was more musical or one was more rough sounding, those are your words :)

19. Uglyversal

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. Uglyversal

I know but sometimes our descriptions leave the doors open to interpretation and I wanted to make sure I understand what you mean.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes....

22. wallabeing

wallabeing Forum Resident

This is tempting. I'm going to wait to hear some comments on how this compares to the ART9, which I have, but is getting a bit worn. Anyone know what AT's policy on cartridge trade-ins in the US is?

23. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

There is nothing "rough" sounding about an ART9. You might prefer the Benz or you might prefer the ART9 characteristics. Make no mistake, the ART9 is an outstanding cartridge by any standard.

avanti1960, mreeter and Uglyversal like this.
  24. Davey

I don't think we were talking about the ART9, at least I wasn't talking about it in the post and brief comparison I linked since I don't have one.

25. Uglyversal

You were talking about the OC9, right?