Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I have no Nathan Davis in my listening Library......I think I'll go shopping.....lol!

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Slippers -on, I had the Denon DL-S1 and the Denon AU - S1 combo with my current phono preamp - Goldnote PH-1. While it provided me with excellent sounds, it didn't do it all for me like my AT ART 9 with no SUT. Maybe it's system dependant, but I can tell you that I have my Denon DL -301 in my drawer for backup!
    Cheers, Doug

3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Slippers-on and avanti1960 like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

bajaed and Slippers-on like this.
  5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

In what way compared to the ART 9. I almost purchased the AU S1 seeing it was made especially for the DL-S1. Mine was loaded with 500 Ohms and 70 db gain....it was sounding pretty sweet!

6. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

So we hit that question i.e. what is your goto LP to check out your system? hi fi magazines test reviews with a variety of LPs among other formats , but its random what they use and don't really tell you what you should be listening for?
    Preferably Jazz / Rock/Prog

7. With no ML stylus options, how do these new ART9s track compared to say the VM540ML?

8. avanti1960

i
    i use a variety of records to test the system.
    wynton marsalis black codes , it can sound muffled and flat with the wrong cartridge. with the 9xa it sounds clear and lively.

yeasayer, amen and good bye. first track has a killer bass hit, i test for bass definition and impact, also the vocals are recorded sibilant. with the 9xa the impact is awesome and the sibilance is still there but sounds more agreeable and refined. a big smile when i played that record.

blur, ice cream man.excellent bass test but the bass can dominate the clarity if there is too much, also can sound unrefined.
    definition, clarity and refonement are all there with the new art9xa.

Ivand likes this.
  9. avanti1960

tracking is perfect. i did not think the ml improved tracking.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I think this might have been mentioned up thread, but while the AT-OC9XSL is not an Art-9, I believe it shares a same design Boron Cantilever and a Special Line Contact Stylus.

I've logged approximately 35-45 hours on the OC9XSL and it's really starting to 'come on song'. Spacious, wide stage and channel separation is impressive for a Cartridge in this price range. The icing for me is the detailed, yet smooth top end, very enjoyable.

Plus, the new Threaded Body:righton:
    [​IMG]

11. Paul2K

Paul2K Forum Resident

I want to buy the ART9XI, but not too sure about the compliance with my tonearm, i have SL1210 GAE...

I will be using stock headshell first, but open to buy like yamamoto wood or titan HS.

Please, anybody tell me if can safely buy this wonderful MC !!

Thank you! Best, from Germany

12. avanti1960

hello,
    audio technica recommends tonearm mass for the ART9 to be between 5 to 10 grams. the G is 8 to 9 grams with stock headshell. the XI has slightly higher compliance than the 9 but the G arm would still be a good match.
    I would not recommemd using a higher mass headshell than stock. you may also need a thicker mat, the mat on my GR is 4mm thick vs the stock 3mm. i was at the limit of tonearm down travel to get proper VTA.

my new XA on my GR has 22 hours on it and is sounding cleaner and more refined and excellent.
    peace to you in Germany !

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Tony, what kind of mat do you have? I am suspecting that I am not getting the right vta for my ART9 on my Technics with the standard Technics mat so I am thinking about options. Thanks!

14. avanti1960

i use a 4mm herbies way excellent mat, and that is how it sounds !

5-String and okc_craft like this.
  15. Paul2K

Paul2K Forum Resident

"the XI has slightly higher compliance than the 9"...

NO! It has not: ART9XI has 15 × 10–6 cm/dyn (100 Hz)
    ART9 has 18 × 10–6 cm/dyn (100 Hz)

Its actually LOWER, friend.

avanti1960 likes this.
  16. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Bought a couple of the older thicker 5mm technics mats. But then got the Oyaide BR12 which I like. Improved contact surface due to curvature. Not sure if it sounds that different, but looks better and seems to suit the Technics better.

In compliance it is the original ART9 that is highest followed by the 9XI then the 9XA
    Effective mass on the arm cannot be 8-9g inc headshel. Headshell weighs about 7.5g plus arm.
    So if arm is indeed 8-9 grammes then thats about 16 g total which bears out as my 9xa resonance is about 9hz.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, this is good info :tiphat:

18. avanti1960

effective mass is calculated with respect to its balance and inertia at the pivot point as well as its actual mass.
    the 1200 gae questions thread has the spreadsheet info.

The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

bever70 likes this.
  19. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Put my ART9XA onto a Sumiko Headshell (same as Jelco HS20?) instead of Technics Headshell.
    Due to extra weight at 12.5g had to fit small screw in counterweight to balance.
    So a lot of extra mass? HFNRR lateral resonance circa 8hz instead of 9hz - I would heave expected a lot lower.

20. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Be interesting to see what it looks like on a plot, can you make a short recording and show us the spectrum? The HFN record isn't the most accurate for the low frequency bands, what do you get on the vertical test? But yea, takes a big change in mass to lower the frequency very much.

21. avanti1960

how does it sound?

Peter van de Beek likes this.
  22. Madison-chan

Madison-chan New Wave is Old

Like someone already said, the AT-OC9XSL is the king. Pitch perfect sound! No point in paying over 1000 IMHO.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I tried the Sumiko with my OC9 MLII. Did not sound right and assumed too much mass. Far better sounding in the stock headshell. Similar compliance to the current OC9 and ART9 ranges. AT 33 range appears to like more arm/headshell mass as does the AT95 MM. As for getting VTA right would recommend Oyaide BR12 mat (5mm) which is readily available in UK unlike Herbies. Heard too many negatives concerning Funk Achromat though not tried one. I think the ideal headshell for OC9 would be stiffer but relatively light (close to stock).

24. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Not really much in it. The sumiko wasn't in use because when I used on my old sl1210 it did make thinks worse. Easy enough to swap back to technics.
    Also using Oyaide mat got it on an ebay discount day.

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

This is a little confusing. They specify dynamic compliance as 10, so with my Jelco 850L arm and standard headshell (13 g effective mass) resonance will be 11 hz (according to vinylengine calculator). So there are many, many more weight can be added to headshell without worry...Am I wrong?