Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

my ortofon cartridge is already fixed at the retippers. took 2 weeks compared to 12 weeks on a previous cartridge.
    the art9xa is sounding better every day, currently 70 hours, not halfway broken in yet. at this point i score them as follows:
    ortofon cadenza blue winning categories by a slight margin-
    sound stage
    dynamics
    midrange clarity and presence

art9xa winning categories:
    refinement
    warmth
    bass quality
    extended treble quality and presence.
    natural vocals
    the art9xa is a tremendous value.

2. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

One note on the soundstaging:

I kicked my ART9XA soundstaging up a notch after spending some quality time measuring and adjusting the azimuth.

Cross channel null test is now -42 dB.

3. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Recently got a trade-in value to swap out my idle AT33ptg/2 for the ART9XA (currently running the ART9). Been checking out the needledrop from LP Gear. Understanding that that this if far from the perfect demo, both the XA and XI do sound more refined than the ART9. However, during the switch from the XI to XA in the demo, I'm hearing a bit of mid-range drop in the XA...or maybe it's just a volume drop? Could anyone listening to this comment, or more importantly, those of you with the XA provide your take on its midrange presence?

4. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

No midrange drop shows up in the frequency sweep of the ART9XA using STR-100 test disk.

timzigs likes this.
  5. avanti1960

According to that recording the midrange of the XI does sound more forward than the XA. Personally I feel that a single recording does not make for a high value comparison as well as the fact that there are so many variables between the two setups- each cartridge has a different compliance- on the same arm they will sound different. add to that differences in phono preamp capabilities at the different gains needed (which setting is more linear- or did they use a SUT for the XA?) as well as state of break in hours for each.
    I will say that my XA at ~ 70 hours is slightly laid back in the midrange, slightly pronounced in the midbass and well extended and neutral in the treble. I expect the XI at the same hours to sound
    slightly more pronounced in the midbass, neutral in the midrange and slightly recessed in the treble with slightly less extension at the high end.

timzigs likes this.
  6. avanti1960

Been playing around with my newly re-tipped SLC on the Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Sounds just like I remember it. Super large sound stage. However the ART9XA has really come on. The Ortofon will be the spare.
    The 9XA sounds noticeably cleaner and refined, never a slightly harsh note of distortion or strain. Not surprising. People have ditched their Zephyr MIMC stars for the ART9. And the Ortofon is a very good cartridge.

HiFi Guy, The Dragon and timzigs like this.
  7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I agree with what you hear, I also think the sound in that video is not good enough to make a definitive judgement.

timzigs likes this.
  8. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

My Art9 is really coming around. The new SRV one step sounds absolutely incredible! I've never been to an audio show so I'm not sick of Tin Pan Alley. Obvious here why it's a demo track. Bass and drums really pop. The sound of my system with this album and the Art9 is what I've been chasing for a long time.

9. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Oh this is confusing. Note is never miss the obvious!
    History is on here but recap. Got sent a ART 9XA instead of a ART 9
    So had to deal with much lower output. Have EAR834 with Beyer Dynamiscs SUT. So not enough gain resulted in turning volume up another 10db or so. (Upsets my OCD)
    Bought an Angle South Lundahl SUT better gain but not sure on sound. Bought a Technics SU MC300 MC Pre Pre. which was ok if a bit unexciting.
    Also got a Chinese Clone EAR 834 for a laugh which was good.
    Finally bought a Siemel MC20 MC pre amp non-working off ebay.
    Now this should have hit the spot (cost over £700 new 20 years ago and a few, but good reports)
    Repaired and sounds well underwhelming - not enough gain but very spacious sound.
    Then Lightbulb moment yesterday, My AVR Denon AVC 8500h has adjustable input gain. Up to 12db avialable. so set on 10db and bingo
    Art 9 into ERA 834 with Beyer Dynamics SUT. Volume set at a reasonable -20db as other sources. Bit of hiss if ear next to speaker.
    But Old age kicking in and this could have save a lot of messing around.
    So Never miss, or forget the obvious.

gumsrave and bootbox like this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Those of you with the ART9XA, are you all running with a SUT?

11. avanti1960

not me. you do need at least 64db of good clean gain. fortunately my phono preamp is capable.

timzigs and HiFi Guy like this.
  12. Peter van de Beek

Peter van de Beek Forum Resident

Nope, not me eighter (ART7 here) you will get a little time delay with a transformer (or capacitor) in your signal-way. So that's why you want a discrete Phono amp. And an air-core is so fast, you don't want to let that get lost with a transformer.

Time delay = lows (long waves) are later in time the heights (short waves) = slow sound

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    timzigs likes this.
  13. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

Do you have contact info for Nclayton? I tried going through EBay, but it wouldn't let me leave any contact info and I'd rather not go through EBay unless I have to.
    Thanks
    Jeff

14. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Sorry for the delayed response. I dealt with Nclayton entirely through eBay. He was very quick to respond.
    eBay does have some sort of algorithm that prevents exchanging outside contact info. I have come across that obstacle before myself!

15. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

I've also dealt with Nclayton on numerous occasions...very professional and does great work. I've had to send contact info to sellers before...I would go to a current auction of his and type your contact info phonetically or in sentence form, for instance - youremailaddress at a oh el dot communications. This has always worked for me

16. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Getting close to taking the plunge on the art9xi, any opinions on a reputable online dealer for this? MD? Elusive disc, upscale audio, hifi heaven, lp gear? Music direct has a well organized return policy on the website for carts which gives some confidence. Yes, i contacted the local AT dealer here in portland and they don't have it in stock and said they don't know when they will get them in.

ellingtonic likes this.
  17. avanti1960

MD. my XA arrived in 3 days.

ellingtonic and TerpStation like this.
  18. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I ordered the XI from Music Direct in December to use as a backup while my Soundsmith Paua is retipped and have been very happy with it. I ordered it on a Friday morning and received it that Sunday. Elusive is also good though I have not used them much lately.

TerpStation and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  19. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

All are good dealers. I've bought from them all at some point.

TerpStation likes this.
  20. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Purchased via MD. Looking forward to the new cart, will be interesting to hear how it compares to the Hana SL i have been running with.

ellingtonic, intensemojo and timzigs like this.
  21. avanti1960

congrats!

TerpStation likes this.
  22. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

Nope.

With the ART7, I did.

With the ART9XA, I'm not

timzigs likes this.
  23. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Any opinions on the Art9 with a VPI Super Prime Scout?

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Somewhat close - sounds great on my VPI Classic 3. But not as good as the Ortofon Quintet Bronze (close, but not quite as good).

ellingtonic and bajaed like this.
  25. Peter van de Beek

Peter van de Beek Forum Resident

Contratz, everyone with their new ART cart (or in order). Good to hear more people are listening to an ART, especially those with air-core's.

Maybe it is interesting to post their favourite re-discovered album, which wil stand-out on the new cart. Here they are most acoustical albums, like mine is Egberto Gismonti, Dança da's Cabeças (ECM 1089, from 1977) and Boulez conducts Ravel (Columbia Masterworks M 30651, from 1971), the opening of side A, Daphnis et Chloé Suite No.2 is sooo wide.

avanti1960 likes this.