Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

beowulf likes this.
  2. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Thank you slips for sharing your observations.

Slippers-on likes this.
  3. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I think your post was meant for me. I’m the one who was bummed the ART9 was discontinued. I have limited funds and my system is already beyond my means and required sacrifice to own. That said $900 is way more than I can justify but I was doing it next. More than that is a hard no. When you have so little to invest and each and every component has to be chosen with great care, each component has to be the best in its price range while complimenting the synergy of the system.

For me a $900-$1000 investment is scary. It’s hard to “trust” when you only get one shot. I’m comfortable with AT because in my circle of friends and our spending many Saturdays swapping and setting up carts to compare they have always been the top carts. I previously had a Dynavector 10 x 5 that was highly praised but on a VPI Prime, My Roksan and a Sansui table it got totally spanked by my then PTGII. In our mix of friends there is a Suminko Byrd something or other, that he paid $1200 for and bragged was a good deal. It’s my only exposure to Suminko. The AT was simply more dynamic, detailed and just plain better balanced. We tried my PTGII on his Prime but did not try his suminko on my Roksan.

I now have the AT33sa. I think it’s a subtle step up from the ptgii. It’s really annoying the standard art 9 is gone because it was a safe improvement for me.

4. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Hi, Funky54....I most certainly understand your issues. Most of us have a cap on spending in this hobby, so you're not alone in that regard. I've most certainly spent time listening to a AT33-PTGII in the past and its a very respectable cartridge! Sounds like you have a brand you can trust. Go with your ears and enjoy the wonderful sounds of music.

-slips...

5. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Hows this for contraversial. I have just upgraded my Roksan Power Amps for CJ Premier 12 monoblocks. Now I know that I'm not going deaf, as I could clearly hear much more detail than ever on LPs' Plus added in a "cheap" Roksan L1.5 preamp to give a direct as possible signal.
    So my point is. As the system gets better, ie more transparent, the differences, for example cartridges, become less noticeable, which is why I think my ART 9XA and Reson Reca now sound similar - as did my Decca London Maroon and Denon 103R before selling on. Years ago in a lesser system the differences between cartridges were more than noticeable. This is completely at odds to what we are led to believe in the kingdom of Hifi . Wierd.
    So I am going to record both cartridges Reson Reca and Art 9xa playing the same track, and calibrate the levels, and put the up on youtube?

6. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

CJ Premier 12 monoblocks WOW! They look SWEET!

Slippers-on and bajaed like this.
  7. Slippers-on

Yeah...I know what you mean. Somethings in this hobby are hard to understand and trying to figure out some non-logical matters will drive you nuts. Could be as simple as synergism is high with some product matching than others. No matter what the price is. On chat boards we have a bad habit of conveying what works in my system over here should work over there in your system the same way, but that can be far from the truth. Thats a hard myth. We never take into account that all these rigs are mostly unique due to the many variations in components and cables. My solution to the madness?....rather than listening to differences in gear...find something..no matter what you need, find what satisfies your soul..makes you shed a tear once in a while, while listening to music and roll with it while enjoying the music. Being off the merry go round once in a good while Is good for the brain...trust me, I’ve been in this from the 70’s. I’ve learned to enjoy the music as it washes over me....leaves less time straining at differences in the sound of gear.:)

plastico and Glmoneydawg like this.
  8. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Any additional updates on the Zephr MIMC on the Sl1210GR? The rebuild price is truly a big plus and a big factor to consider. I'm getting ever so close to making a purchase. On my (current list..lol) ART-9XI, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Sumiko Startling, Lyra Delos and the Zephr MIMC Star. What do you guys think?

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

So I bought an Art9 just before they went out of production. I only have 320 hours on it so far. I don't know if this has been asked in the thread, but, after 1000 hours, do you think AT would be willing to give a discount on a trade-in on the current model when the Art9 stylus is cooked?

10. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

I think there was info earlier in the thread regarding trade-in price for the ART9, but below is a recent correspondence regarding the 33PTG/II that I wanted to trade for another OC9XML series cart ... both currently retail for $549 ... the only real issue is what they have in stock for trade ...

Here is the replacement cost for each model. The Fed Ex return shipping is not included. If you need help choosing a replacement model, please contact our Audio Solutions department at 330-686-2600, extension 5000.

AT-OC9XEB $123.47

AT-OC9XEN $178.79

AT-OC9XML $281.79

AT-OC9XSH $332.80

AT-OC9XSL $375.74

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  11. avanti1960

do not make the mistake of a rebuild being the reason for buying a cartridge. i have had my ortofon cadenza blue and dynavector DV20X2L re-cantilevered and tipped by soundsmith. they each sounded better than new. the only disadvantage was potential wait times. The dyna took 13 weeks but the orto took only 3.

after taking the MIMC out I am putting it back in tonight to give it another try. not expecting greatness.
    if you have the funds the ortofon cadenza blue easily sounds better, quite amazing really.
    the ART9XA would be a world beater if I had a SUT. I may try an ART9XI .5mv version. I expect it will also sound better than the MIMC as others on audiogon have said about the original ART9.
    The MIMC star ES is not a bad cartridge, it just does not have the fidelity to compete with the others unless more break in will turn it around.....

mike catucci likes this.
  12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I never buy hardware or speakers considering resale value, nor carts for rebuild cost. Best choice for SQ with the available funds.

myles and avanti1960 like this.
  13. Slippers-on

Glad you asked!:) But truthfully I love the Starling. Has it all. But what I really admire about it is the way it places the different instruments across the stage. You can really see it with the minds eye. And the spacing and air around each is the best I've heard. I love it! Having said that, I'm sure any one of those carts, different but will bring their own set if skills that aim to please.

14. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Thanks guys, I appreciate your insights and experience on this.

15. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I would add the Zephyr MK/III ES to the list. I considered most of the models you listed, coming close to getting the 9XI, but I know the
    2.0 mv output of the moving iron works great with my current phono pre. A MC cart just worried me since I only have 57 max gain. The 9xi would "probably" work. The 9XA seems to be the better than the XI if you have the right gain/sut options.

Good luck. I just got a nice deal on the MK/III EX and should get it by Monday. :winkgrin:

Slippers-on likes this.
  16. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

I'll be receiving the cadenza blue this Friday. Avanti1960, do you recall your settings for the phono pre with this cartridge? My choices are 56,66 and 76db with loading from 10 to 47k ohms and capacitance 100pf to 750pf. I am using a 7 foot long pair of cables from the TT to the pre-amp (BJ LC-1 12.2pf/ft). So is it simply 12.2 x 7 = 85.4pf plus the cartridge (ortofon value not provided that I can see)? Thank you in advance!

17. avanti1960

58db 200 ohms capacitance n/a. i would try to move your phono closer to the table, 3 feet or less and lengthen the cable after the phono pre

18. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Great, thanks again.

19. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident

What is the maintenance/upkeep price tag on your Art9? Strongly considering one, but I consistently spin vinyl all the time. I’m wondering how cost effective it’ll be in the long run. Thanks!

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. avanti1960

no different than other moving coil cartridges- some say the line contact on the ART9XI can last 2000 hours - for me that would be about 5 years. The shibata on the XA would last at least 1000 hours- ~ 2-1/2 years for me. I just send it out to Sound-smith to re-tip, they do excellent work- both of my re-tipped cartridges sounded better thank new. Cost is $350.
    The 9s are the sweetest most refined cartridges I have ever heard and nothing comes close in their price range.

ripping corpse and Old Zorki II like this.
  21. malagacoolers

malagacoolers Forum Resident

Perhaps a stupid question, is there a limit to how many times you can get it retipped?

22. avanti1960

No. I have heard that suspensions can wear out / dry out but that takes decades.

malagacoolers likes this.
  23. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

I have an AT20SS that I purchased in the mid 80s that still plays fine. Looking at suspension today as a matter of fact and it's still fresh.

24. Davey

Davey NP: Melanie De Biasio ~ Blackened Cities (2016 LP)

Check this out, I was visiting the Audio-Technica cartridge page and see the $1799 prices below for the new ART9, but when you click on them it goes to the product page with the $1290 price... portending the future, or just a software glitch???

[​IMG]

25. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

If so hurry and get it from upscale, still 1289. Ortofon Cadenza went up from 1889 to 2039. I think there's a shortage of some of these.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021