Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i sure hope that is a mistake but there are examples in big price jumps for cartridges.
    the dynavector dv17 karat jumped from -$1300 to $2000 a few years ago, the soundsmith mimc star jumped from $1500 to $2000, similar time frame.
    the new VPI Shlya (ART9) is $1700 as a reference.
    music direct is still showing $1290.
    the scary thing is that they would compete well at that price. at 1290 they are quite a value.

2. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I had 17D3 i liked it a lot but now the 17dx is actually $2250 !
    Not sure I`d be willing to go that much for the new version.

Any update on your Delos ? what `s your take on it vs the Art9 so far ?

3. avanti1960

I only have about 10 hours on the Delos so far but it is an excellent sounding cartridge. It is fair to wait until it has 60 hrs. or so for a final verdict.

4. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I`m a firm believer in break in too...:righton:

avanti1960 likes this.
  5. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

I didn't know where to place this question so I thought I would try here. In rebuilding a vintage tube pre-amp, I am having a hard time finding a suitable balance control. This is probably a dumb question. Can I use a stereo volume control and just wire one channel in reverse so as you turn it past the 12:00 position (in either direction) which should be equal volume for both - it would decrease one channel and increase the other?

6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

You could, though the taper would be wrong if you used a normal audio taper pot, and you can buy them with reverse mirror image tapers to use for balance control... 10K AUDIO TAPER BALANCE CONTROL, 6MM SHAFT

The only issue is that you are then putting two volume controls in the signal path, and depending on type, they are generally not a very good sounding component. A balance control is often just implemented with a linear pot connected between the two channels, with wiper to ground, as in the image below, so it forms a voltage divider on each channel before the volume control, usually with pot or switched resistors only having a small range of adjustment... note that it depends on some source resistance not shown to form the dividers ... it is still in the signal path to an extent as a shunt element, but you can use a better quality linear pot (some of the precision wirewound pots sound very good, or maybe more accurately put, they don't degrade the sound nearly as much as the carbon slurry deposited on plastic film types), or a few switched resistors since you don't normally need much adjustment range ... and you could add resistors on each side to limit the range ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  7. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

I already two identical VC that are the right values (50K) that are 22 stepped controls using individual SMC resistors. Would there be any downfall to using one with one channel reversed? Will it still work smoothly as a balance control?

Thanks in advance.

8. Davey

Well, it would kind of work, but like I said, the taper is wrong so it wouldn't be symmetrical. You would have to be able to flip one of the control decks around so that it is the mirror image of the other. Volume controls used for audio have a logarithmic taper, whether implemented as a potentiometer, or as a stepped attenuator in your case. Why not just use two volume controls, one for left and one for right? I know it would waste half of each one, but that would be easiest since you already have them.

This is kind of a strange location to have this discussion, though. Maybe you should start a new thread if you want to keep going.

9. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

I'll try to make this the last post on this subject (I took the liberty as I have an Art7 on a custom tonearm and table).

I thought about using two volume controls but I would have to drill another hole in the front panel to accommodate the second VC. If I did use this method, and drilled two holes for the two new VC's, could I then run them to the "master" original volume control to use a single knob as volume? Would I need to change the values of the now 3 VC's? In the stock configuration, both the VC and the balance are both 50K. Or as another option if I could find a VC that is linear taper for the new Balance, would that be the better solution?

Thanks again.

10. avanti1960

two vcs is a common solution for some preamps like croft and cary audio.
    you have the option to just use the left and right vcs as a master like croft does.

11. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

@avanti1960 I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Delos vs the AT ART9. Both carts I'm interested in for the future.

avanti1960 likes this.
  12. avanti1960

will do, i have not fully broken in the Delos yet, my preamp has been in for warranty service the last month or so :(

13. avanti1960

see post 1760.

14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  15. avanti1960

TerpStation and Slippers-on like this.
  16. Davey

Be nice to see something from a reviewer with more experience to draw from, strange the ART9 has never gotten a review in one of the major audio journals, at least that I'm aware. I wonder why, it seems to be a very popular cartridge over the last few years. There are already quite a few reviews in for the new OC9X series cartridges.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Slippers-on likes this.
  17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I think he also got the carts reversed in his conclusion at the end.

TerpStation likes this.
  18. TerpStation

Yup, it is an absolute bargain at full price, which i paid. I have no desire to upgrade my cart now....which is weird!

Slippers-on likes this.
  19. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

May I ask...what’s your reference?

20. TerpStation

Came from a Hana SL....which is also a great bargain....but this cart is much better. Simply more refined.

21. Slippers-on

Doesn’t that cart cost 750$

22. TerpStation

yes.

23. Slippers-on

I must be missing something.

24. TerpStation

If you are asking for comparisons i own at this price point, this is the only cart i own which costs 1290. But i have listened to allot of different carts over the years, been to allot of audio shows, show rooms, at friends houses with their rigs. Scientific? Of course not. But at some point you know what you like and what sounds good to you. For the money, when i listen to this cart, its a bargain to me. It may not be for you, and you may not like it at all. However, that is not relevant to whether its a bargain to me.

25. Slippers-on

Ok.