Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

British db? :)

bajaed and Slippers-on like this.
  2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Well...you know me...as I always say, the proof is in the hearing. Music is totally organic sounding, tonal balanced in the way instruments sound including all cymbal taps and crashes and the music is absolutely free flowing with front to back, side to side and upward. Nothing sounds over driven. Its really easy peasy. Load your favorite cart, and adjust it to your liking as far a gain is concerned with the front knob and walk away and enjoy a nice refined full sound stage through the SUT.

3. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

You lost me on that one bro.

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Fine, but the volume control gives him the ability to attenuate the signal. Also, if I'm not mistaken, that very volume control pretty much negates the need for a line preamp in between, so this phono can drive the power amp directly. In that light, 72 dB of gain doesn't seem excessive - for it pretty much compensates the missing 10-12 dB of gain that would normally be provided by a line preamp.

Slippers-on likes this.
  5. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

True, it states the Icon can go direct to most amps.

Slippers-on likes this.
  6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Yeah I think you convert a dollar to a British pound and take that number times the gain to get the conversion. :cool:

Madness and Slippers-on like this.
  7. avanti1960

Input sensitivity is usually the minimum required signal value to let the amplifier produce its specified output.
    I don't see 52db as being the correct way to express this.

mtrot likes this.
  8. avanti1960

"... but suspects that the gain may be overstated, possibly due to how they measured it over there"

Slippers-on likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

It isn't the "correct" way to express sensitivity, but it means the same if you know the output voltage for the specification, which we do in this case since it is listed under the preamp input sensitivity as 300mV. If they expressed the phono sensitivity in the normal way, say 3.8mV for MM and 0.75mV for MC, then people would just ask what is the gain, so I guess they just chose a hybrid spec. I agree it seems odd for a major company to specify this way, and the MC gain seems oddly low too, but I don't know anything about these designs.

avanti1960 likes this.
  10. trongate

trongate Active Member

Hello, I was wondering if you think or would recommend going with the AT-ART9XA which is shibata or the AT-ART9XI which is “special line contact”. And the XA is .2mv whereas XI is .5.
    I have a Prima Luna evo 400 power amp and want to go direct from Heed Quasar preamp (MK I). Pretty sure no problem w/gain on either cart.
    I’m also looking at Sumiko Blackbird MC.

Ive only had the AT MM 760 on my Thorens 124 using SME V

I have a local guy who would install and align cart for me and help me for first time adjusting jumpers for the MC in the Heed amp.

Was also wondering which MC of these is best value and convenience for re-build as no idea how to go about that.

Sorry if this is a bit much. I got as far as page 3 for this thread - but will persevere and carry on.

Great thread. Thanks for sharing

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. avanti1960

ART9XA, works well with the SME V arm and set the Heed to 62db. Good to go.
    Is your Primaluna an integrated amp? You can't use a phono preamp directly into a power amp.

12. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Been thinking (not a good thing)
    If my Art9XA on a Technics 1200G feeds into a EAR MC3 SUT was thinking could this be rewired as balanced - instead of single ended RCA.
    Doesn't appear to be that difficult with an SUT.
    any ideas or anyone done this

13. avanti1960

correction, the ART9XI works well with your Heed at 62db

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I just set up my ART9XI and took it for a brief spin. Holy sheet, right out of the gate, this cart sounded more lush than anything I've heard from AT. I stupidly ruined my ART9 last month while cleaning my turntable and at that point I think it only had 500 hours on it. Anyway, I temporarily used my nearly cooked AT33PTG/2 until I could get the 9XI. The difference is not subtle. I was also really surprised at how much of a trade-in AT gave me for my ruined ART9 so that was great too. Anyway, off to play some records.

timzigs and ted321 like this.
  15. avanti1960

Congrats and good to hear! The ART9s are the one cartridge every vinyl audio fan needs to own at least once.
    What are your gain and resistive loading settings?

ted321 likes this.
  16. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I`d like to see a comparison of the Art9`s to a Lyra Delos and a Rega Apheta 3,,,that would be interesting.

17. avanti1960

I have the Lyra Delos and the Lyra is flat out a better cartridge without hesitation. The Delos is a value at its $2K price point. Not a fan of Rega cartridges- heard the Ania and it was barely competitive with the $500 Ortofon Quintet Blue.
    However the ART9XI is also a value at its $1300 price point and competes closely with my $2K Ortofon Cadenza Blue, beating it in some categories.
    And let there be no doubt- the ART9 absolutely demolishes the $2K Soundsmith MIMC Star ES as well as nearby competition including Dynavector DV20X2L.
    The only thing it loses to the Delos on is dynamics and detail. The Lyra has spectacular detail and dynamics.
    However the ART9 wins on refinement and naturalness. The 9s are squeaky clean and smooth yet with plenty of colorful detail.

18. SCM

SCM Senior Member

The new Rega Apheta3 might change your perspective..never know

19. avanti1960

Can't disagree until I hear it. I am really behind in my listening because of the COVID restrictions and cancellations.

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Unfortunately, my McIntosh preamp has been at the factory for service since February. My current substitute is a lower end Musical Fidelity phono pre and does not have cartridge loading options. I can't wait to get my preamp back to dial my cart in.

21. Benzion

Officially pulled the trigger on an Art9 XI today. Traded in two lower-end Pro-Ject tube phonos to get it. Finally...

mackat, Soundslave, AllenR and 2 others like this.
  22. avanti1960

Congrats Benzion !
    What table are you going to use for it?
    Exciting times !

23. Benzion

On the AR "The Turntable" with the Audioquest PT-6 (Jelco OEM) arm. Right now it's got the Zu Denon 103 on it, which is too heavy for it, hence I have lead tape on the counterweight.

Soon enough, the Denon will be due for re-ripping, so the XI will go onto the PT-6 with the lead tape removed. I will at first attempt to use the Icon 1:10 SUT with it, which will load it at 470 Ohm. If something sounds off - I will try my active head amps, which have adjustable loading, and see at which loading it sounds best. Once that is figured out, I will probably buy another SUT, to give that cart the loading it likes.

mtrot likes this.
  24. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Hmm, I'll be very interested in how the Art 9 XI works on your table and arm because my rig is the AR ES-1 with Audioquest PT-5 tonearm. My current cartridge is an Audioquest 404 BH, which is pretty well worn at this point.

25. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Sent my ART9 to Steve Leung today for cleaning, adjustments, and whatever else it needs. I bought it used a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the filthiest cart I've ever seen. The photos in the ad were dark and fuzzy then I found out why. The stylus was encased in a solid ball of crud and the cantilever was covered in some sort of crud that looked like tiny tree bark. It looked the previous owner/abuser had been wet cleaning his records with it. I got most of all that off with stylus cleaner, a toothpick, and a brush but the inside of the body, which was layered in crud, I left alone. It played and tracked ok after my efforts but all that dirt just bugged me so I sent it off to Mr. Leung. Steve says he can take care of all the leftover mess, adjust the suspension, and hopefully the stylus will be ok. Fingers and toes crossed.

timzigs and Soundslave like this.