Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

LOL I just said it was a good match output wise, not that it'd sound better! Never heard the combo, though I've heard the oc9iii on both the Jr and JC3+. In fact its mounted right now on the PL-70Lii / JC3+ combo in my system - great match there!! :)

The oc9iii share a lot of ART9 DNA as far as design, compliance, etc...

Honestly, I don't think the Jr is a great MC stage (good, not great). It's why I bought the JC3+

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Besides do you blindly believe everything you read? :hide:

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

how many hours? i ran into a similar situation with my lehmann black cube se ii when i had it. 56 db was very good (could have lived with it) and 66db had some slight distortion that limited enjoyable volume.
    after a month or so the 66db gain setting became useable as the cartridge and stylus broke in and became smoother.
    there is no guarantee this will happen for you but it could. is the 56db setting that anemic? the XI will continue to sound more dynamic as the suspension breaks in. 30 hrs or so is a good place but 100 to 200 hrs is much more telling.
    the xa could be the ticket at 66 db, it was barely acceptable on my sutherland at 64db. it sounded like it wanted a SUT to really bloom.
    i would say to wait as long as you can and accumulate as many hours as possible. it could still improve at both gain settings.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Well, of course not, but I certainly believe what some people write around here. I don't always agree with their conclusions, or test methodology, or technical musings, but there is a core group of people here that I find very much believable, and hopefully it isn't just one-sided :)

C.Ludwig likes this.
  5. avanti1960

the art7 has just north of half of the art xa output (.12mv vs. .2mv). it is out of stock at AT and i suspect stores are discounting their remaining inventories. that ultra low output almost requires a SUT.

6. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I wouldn’t call the 56db anemic, but I am certainly wanting for more from time to time, unfortunately the 66db is a little more than I’m wanting for. I have about 20hrs on the XI at this point so the suspension probably needs some more breaking in. The XA seems to be about right with the 66db, and I honestly may prefer the tonality of the XA, and it’s uncannily realistic even more so than the XI to my ears. The two carts are a pretty easy swap on my tone so I spent the better part of an hour going back and forth between the two on the first side of The Punch Brothers album Who’s Feeling Young Now, and the XA kept finding things I hadn’t really taken notice of before. I did the same with RadioHead’s King of Limbs second side, and the subtle ambient sounds tucked away in that recording were heard in a way with the XA that I hadn’t been able to reproduce up to now. I will give it a few more days of experimenting, but right now I am drawn to the XA.

C.Ludwig, timzigs and avanti1960 like this.
  7. avanti1960

ok very good.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

You're right that the ART7 is now discontinued, but that is pretty recent, they kept it going long after the ART9 was discontinued, which is why there is still so much stock around, and why they are available on ebay now for $841 from Japan, or from local US sources for $990. Just mentioning that it is still an option, though probably not for too much longer.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    avanti1960 likes this.
  9. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Well I put about 20 hours onto the XI, and WOW - it truly has changed character. For the better! No longer shrill as it was.

Background noise has been reduced. The whole tone has darkened a bit in a smoother way.

Listening to Rumours mastered by our Host, and wow is it nice. Dead silent background, so much air around each instrument.

This cartridge is amazing.
    EDIT: additionally, I'd like to say that I just haven't heard this level of realism and air on any digital front end. My DAC is comparable in price and overall quality to this cartridge and preamp. Yet music played through there, even at hi res, can't hold a candle to what my analog setup sounds like. This cart brings out the beauty and best aspects of analog. It pushes me to exclusively listen to AAA vinyl; there's just so much more information in those grooves compared to a 24 bit file. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Let us know if your opinion changes. I have an Art9 and have been back and forth on an XA or XI upgrade. Don’t plan on using a SUT.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  11. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

What turntable?

12. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I’m using a Sota Sapphire with an Eminent Technologies arm.

13. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I’ve decided to stick with the XA, my JC3JR’s 66db of gain is enough for me, but I definitely wouldn’t try it with less than that.

timzigs, avanti1960 and C.Ludwig like this.
  14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I just got it back and it sounds great. I also got the note telling me not to use liquid cleaning products on the stylus, only a brush. I've always used MoFi LP#9 liquid stylus cleaner with no ill effects. What do you use to clean the styli on your retips.

avanti1960 likes this.
  15. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I got myself a Hi Fi electronic stylus cleaner. A little pricey but it is a one time purchase. And I touch it up between every week with some Magic Erasure and Enzow dip.
    Cheers, Doug

slovell likes this.
  16. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I recently purchased this ultrasonic stylus cleaner. I have no idea how it compares to the Flux ultrasonic cleaner, but it does seem to work and is much more affordable.

slovell likes this.
  17. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Why no liquid cleaning products? I've been using Lyra's cleaner thinking it would be hard to beat.

18. avanti1960

i use the audio technica AT607A fluid forever and the stylus get thousands of hours never an issue.
    maybe the key is infrequent use, once a week to two weeks, brush off with stylus brush.
    believe me you need it too, a brush alone is not enough to keep the stylus or the sound completely clean.

i bet some people over do it and use it every day or more

DaMoodyBlues and slovell like this.
  19. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Possibly dissolves the adhesive used on the stylus over time? That's all I can come up with.

20. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That's pretty much my cleaning routine also. A brush alone won't remove gunk that's stuck to the diamond.

21. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I'll look into it, thanks for the info.

22. DaMoodyBlues

DaMoodyBlues Senior Member

Fired up the TT today with the ART9. Still lovin' the cart. Today was my first record in a while. I picked Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good". Lowered the tonearm and Chuck emerged from total silence with nary a tick and no pops. God I Love This Cartridge. Sound quality deep and wide. Still produces goosebumps after several years.

23. Luigi Panaccio

Luigi Panaccio Active Member

It has been a while since my last update.
    Now the Art9 is fully broken in and i worked on the setup.
    Wow! Soft, dynamic, spacious, made me emotional a number of times.
    Don't think i can ask for more.
    Tanks to all in the forum (Avanti in particular), rarely have money been better spent.

Luigi

24. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Has anyone heard the ZYX Ultimate 100 vs the ART9?

25. avanti1960

congrats Luigi!