Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Paul2K

Paul2K Forum Resident

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

nice- and nice turntable too !
    got to love the new threaded body.

3. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Nice!
    What’s the turntable?

4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I might be in the minority here but I actually like the bolt and nut mounting of non-threaded cartridges. Reason being as I can orient the slots in the mounting bolts for visual symmetry on top of the head shell. With the threaded bodies the screws just tighten where they tighten and I can't get my perfectionist OCD on. Woe is me! :winkgrin:

woodpigeon likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Could always go the slotless route ...

[​IMG]

woodpigeon and aunitedlemon like this.
  6. Paul2K

Paul2K Forum Resident

Thanks! Its a Technics SL-1210GAE Limited in black

Chris J and aunitedlemon like this.
  7. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

LOL!
    I love the convenience of just putting the screws into the cartridge.
    I guess I’m not that OCD.
    OTOH, only OCD people spend this much time agonizing over cartridges, loading, VTF, VTA, A-S, etc.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  8. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Hey ART9 folks!
    I recently moved my phone preamp because it was picking up wicked hum from my DAC.
    I moved it a few feet away by extending the leads from the turntable to the preamp in. From 1.5 foot to 3.5 foot cables.

I used the same cable type for the new lead: Mogami 2497.
    Per the spec sheet, it’s 20.5pf per foot. So I’ve now added 41pf of resistance to the phono input side.

Questions:
    • Is 41pf even noticeable in how it would affect the signal chain? If so, how would the sound be effected?
    • Currently I have the preamp set to ~220 ohms. By adding these 41pf… should I move impedance UP or DOWN? Or not at all?
    very curious. I don’t notice a real change so far but am listening to unfamiliar recordings. If anything a bit more shrill sounding, harder. But it could be the CCR recording…

9. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

It might make a minor difference with a MM cart but is completely negligible with a MC cart.
    When I've loaded MM carts w/ too much capacitance the sound got very "hot". Sizzling treble, tinny bass, and a dizzying stereo separation. I had more than double the recommended capacitance, however.

macster, chris8519 and avanti1960 like this.
  10. avanti1960

the only way to know for sure is to compare the sound of each length.
    if shorter does sound better, maybe you can move the DAC.
    Also are the mogami cables shielded? possibly shorter shielded cables would eliminate the hum like Mogami W2528.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Just curious, do you normally have the DAC powered up when listening to vinyl? Don't most of you turn off all the digital gear when listening to vinyl, or am I alone in feeling the sound is better with only the analog gear powered on? Of course, nowadays it may be hard to turn off all the digital, much of the gear we use has digital circuits that can't be turned off, and the listening room is probably full of wifi signals too :)

aunitedlemon and chris8519 like this.
  12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Not to mention constant bombardment by neutrinos.

macster, gakerty, chris8519 and 3 others like this.
  13. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

The Schiit Gumby sounds better when always powered on and warm so I just leave it on. I also like to A/B vinyl to digital releases frequently. But man that Schiit throws off some hum to everything around it!

14. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Yeah the problem is my music rack. The Dac is sitting right next to my turntable. I had the preamp sitting on my amp and under the dac which was bad. Moving it 3 feet away reduced the hum quite a bit -only noticeable with headphones now.
    I also noticed the hum lessens when I move the needle itself!as I move it toward the spindle the hum gets quieter. So might not be the preamp anymore at all, and just the cart?

15. avanti1960

Here's the ART20 just released for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wooo that’s a spicy meatball. But certainly looks the part. Would love to hear it compared to the XI!

avanti1960 likes this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've run AT cartridges into 400 ohms and above and they sound fine. Better than 100 ohm setting. You have to go to around 800 ohm to sound too bright.

avanti1960 likes this.
  18. avanti1960

in my system the ART9 started to sound brighter and slightly thinner at 475 ohms.

19. avanti1960

i would too but that is too much dough for me to spend on a cartridge!

Djohm and chris8519 like this.
  20. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Honest questions: How do one base the cost of their cart purchase relative to their setup? Is it a certain percentage of the overall setup or their turntable? Or plain disposable funds available?

I'm still below 200hr on my XI but I'm always looking forward to hear the next level stuff that would work on my current setup.

21. avanti1960

For me I set a $2K budget limit right or wrong. I figured that is more than enough for vinyl bliss from a cartridge. I loved the sound of the ART9 but wanted to hear more just to know.
    The ART9 competes well with some $2K cartridges, even beats one to shreds. But the Lyra Delos is all I would ever want in a cartridge and so far absolutely no urge to go beyond. My ears tell me it is near perfection. That's it.

Greenmonster2420 and Djohm like this.
  22. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Yes! The XI definitely hold its own, although I've only listened to one $2k cart - my DV XX2 mk2. When the time comes for a new cart, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up springing up for another XI as it completely meshes well in my current set up.

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. Have you heard some > $2k cartridges? I also have a Delos, and agree it is splendid. I also don’t think that any time in the near future I will be considering carts >$2k (famous last words). But the dealer I bought my Delos from (slightly used, it was the owners personal cart for a short time), upgraded from the Delos to the Kleos. He invited me to have a listen. It was definitely a step up from the Delos, though it doesn’t make me appreciate the Delos any less. It just kind of reaffirmed to me that there will almost always be something better in this hobby. I am fine with that - all good things in all good time. And while I sometimes get the itch to upgrade, if I had to listen to my current system for the rest of my life, well I’d be a very happy man. But I likely will upgrade, sooner than later, and I will start with speakers ;)

24. macster

macster Forum Resident

Dumb question, but do you have a ground wire from your table to the phone preamp and possibly to your amp?

M~

25. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Yep! Totally. And disconnecting it gets worse. At this point I don’t think it’s the amp picking up hum. It’s the stylus. Move it away from the DAC and it goes away.

macster likes this.