Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Owners Club and Pictorial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Oct 26, 2021.

1. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Do you just loosen the little set screw to move the headshell fore/aft along the cylinder?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies Thread Starter

Yes, and rotate as needed for azimuth. There are two sets of holes in the headshell for cartridge positioning, it is designed so these AT carts sit flush with the front when you use the front holes, so you get that integrated look.

rbmitch2, mreeter, C.Ludwig and 2 others like this.
  3. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Any input on the at-OC9XML with a lehmann black cube se? I had my sites set on a local pass labs aleph ono, but after coming to an agreement on price he got flakey about when I could pick it up and I saw him repost it on Craigslist so going to roll the dice on a local cube I’m picking up today :doh: Only thing I’ve read somewhere is it’s designed with ortofon carts in mind and maybe doesn’t play well with AT?

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

My phono stage is the Parasound JC3+. It's the second version of the JC3. The original version only had fixed loading at 47k. I read that the designer, John Curl, who is very respected in the field, prefers a high-gain-no-adjustments approach. No adjustments would reduce the chance of noise. The original JC3 brought 68db and 47k. On the "+" version, he reduced a bit of gain and added a loading range from 50 to 500ohm by popular demand, but somehow against his own philosophy. Still no gain adjustment, take it or leave it.

Sterling1 and Mike70 like this.
  5. Davey

That's too bad, I'd think the Aleph Ono would be much superior to the Lehmann, at least for me, I prefer the all discrete no loop feedback approach Pass uses versus the high feedback opamp approach by Lehmann, but the Black Cube does have a lot of fans around here. The Pass is pretty big too, with the side mounted toroid and full width chassis. Not sure why the Lehmann wouldn't play well with AT carts, it has pretty low input capacitance at 100pF, and multiple gains. Overload margin is a bit low at the higher gains, but looks solid.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  6. FuzzyNightmares

Yeah, I was bummed, but this gets me rolling on my first legitimate set up with a little extra money in the bank for purchasing speakers once I find the right ones, and maybe in the future I’ll find a used Xono instead.

Davey likes this.
  7. Davey

Yea, those original Pass models are getting down in price, sometimes even below $1000. There's been one on USAM for a while now, says $1200 firm and excellent condition, still a good deal for a great preamp, think it was about twice that new, built like a tank from slabs of aluminum. But the later two-box versions were a bit nicer, especially the ones with full size power supply, now that's a big phono preamp!

8. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

I am in fact using the LH11H so what I think is that the picture I posted was perhaps soon after I mounted the cart, and probably using the baerwald alignment. Possibly still experimenting...
    Here's current using the Technics gauge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    eis01, McLover, Telcoman and 3 others like this.
  9. Davey

Well, previously you told me that picture was with the 15g headshell, and that makes sense because it is definitely longer in the first picture you posted, and the finger lift is further back. No biggie, it was just a curiosity, I just wanted to make sure one of you didn't have the overhang set wrong, but all is good, your new picture looks just like the one from @C.Ludwig :)

Post Pictures of your Cartridges (MC, MI, MM, Exotic and not so much)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    punkmusick likes this.
  10. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

OMG you're right! I totally spaced on the fact I bought the 15g model at first before the 11g was available.
    It was $40 at B&H for a while before the 11g version hit the streets and at that price I thought I'd "make it work".

Davey and punkmusick like this.
  11. punkmusick

Now I need to work on my admission at the LH11H club...

ubiknik and C.Ludwig like this.
  12. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

I really enjoy the aesthetic of the angle with the cartridge.

GruvyWade and punkmusick like this.
  13. punkmusick

Indeed, looks great. I just checked my AT dealer in Brazil and it's not available.

14. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

You will love the LH11H, I’ve ordered two more since it inspires confidence I have realized the Technics tracking error scheme.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Sounds excellent with headphones, like a digital track. I would have to hear the sound stage through speakers which is what can greatly distinguish one cartridge from another.

Davey likes this.
  16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

@Davey just gave it a listen (casted to my Tv which is connected to the same dac as my digital server) and compared it to the cd version I have (which is on that server). Yours is definitely more crankeable, has less bass (which is a good thing as the cd has a bit too much imo) but sounds nicely balanced and open (whereas the cd version... sounds a bit 'harder' or more compressed).

Davey likes this.
  17. Davey

I hope she has a new record soon, I was listening to Lilies the other night, and I do like it a lot, but I think No Deal is a much better record, both sound and (more importantly) music. Would love to have another EP like Blackened Cities too, or a whole album more in that style! But I'll buy anything she does.

I'll post a couple songs from both the OC9XML and VM740ML in a new thread sometime later today, or maybe tomorrow, like the @Oelewapper EN comparison. The 740 doesn't have many hours on it yet so will likely still get a little better, but is past the initial breakin.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    ubiknik, bever70 and punkmusick like this.
  18. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Very interested in the 740ml vs OC files as I have a 540ml...hearing the difference (or not) between them will give me an idea if I'd like an OC over the 540.

With regards to Melanie, the only one I don't have yet is the Ep. I don't know if you are aware of it but there is a nice remix-cd out of her debut 'No Deal remixed' which I find very nice. No stupid house remixes but tastefully done versions by other artists (Eels is one of them). Don't know if the vinyl pressing is any good (2x45rpm apparently including the cd) but most of the time I play this remix version instead of her original album.
    Melanie De Biasio – No Deal Remixed (2015, Vinyl)

Davey likes this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This should be very interesting, I have a VM740ML and it really is quite outstanding.

macster, Davey and punkmusick like this.
  20. avanti1960

se or se ii?

21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Do these prices change depending on what cart. you are trading in?
    I also have an older AT 140LC MM, does it matter what type of AT cart you trade in?

22. FuzzyNightmares

SE, so external power supply but not “bass balancing” or whatever it was the se ii added. Got it for $450.

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. Davey

I don't know, they charge you roughly half the cost of a new cartridge when trade in the old one. Those prices were in response to trading in my OC9XML, and are listed as the replacement cost, so if the price of the OC9XSL is really only $375 when trading the OC9XML, the same cost as if trading in an old OC9XSL, that would be quite a deal, and that is what I initially assumed, but guess I'll find out. Below is the initial email and response, I'll just link it ...

https://i.imgur.com/OwvustQ.png

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    ubiknik likes this.
  24. avanti1960

I had awesome success with the se ii and an AT ART9. not so great with MM carts. good luck!

25. punkmusick

In my system, my Nagaoka MP-500 is a nicely warm cartridge. The OC9XML seems to be more neutral and transparent. I can't test the frequency response but I would bet the Nagaoka rolls off the highs while the OC9XML is more linear. Nice to have both when I want to change the flavor.

woodpigeon, C.Ludwig and Soundslave like this.