Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Owners Club and Pictorial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Oct 26, 2021.

1. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

How long will the stylus of the OC9XML last before you need to replace the cart?

2. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

500 hrs. seems to be a safely conservative estimate.

3. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

In my experience a MicroLine tracking at 2 grams should be checked at 500 hours. It could be worn out or there could be some life left. Just don’t expect it to last longer. Making sure your anti skate setting is correct will have a big influence on this. Using the Wally Analog WallySkater device is recommended but is an investment (and is worth it in my opinion). Or, you can go over to www.sound-smith.com and find the two videos on how to set anti-skating. The sound-smith method gave me the exact same setting in my SL-1210M5G as the WallySkater, likely because my arm bearings are in excellent shape.

jmobrien68 and snorker like this.
  4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

What antiskate setting did you settle on for the OC9XML?

5. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

2.8 for 2.1 VTF. This setting may be unique to my specific arm's anti skate mechanism; I don't know. Also, the anti-skate dial on the SL-1210M5G goes to 6, not 3 - that may or may not matter. When using the WallySkater, the anti skate value is based on the VTF, so it doesn't matter what cartridge is used; it'll get the same result. I am impressed how accurate the tool is. Using it also shows how sensitive and repeatable the Technics anti-skate mechanism is. Well worth the investment. Coincidentally. I also got anti-skate at 2.8 when using the Soundsmith method of having the stylus tip move slowly towards the spindle when placed in the dead wax at the end of a side.
    The WallySkater aims to get your anti skate between 9% and 11% of the VTF. It turns out that at 2.1 VTF at the outer groove 9% = 2.8 anti skate, and the inner groove 11% = 2.8. A perfect average. However, at the inner groove 9% of 2.1 VTF was 2.1 on the anti skate dial. Perhaps this is what the Technics recommendation of matching the AS value to the VTF is based off of.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    snorker likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They should last 1000 hours (ML). They certainly are fine at around 800 hours plus in my experience. I've never dumped a cartridge at 500 hours (MC) and even the AT ellipticals should be good for 750 hours. My AT33 EV got dumped due to cantilever sag rather than a worn out tip. An ML at 500 hours should have a lot of life left playing clean records.

grx8, iloveguitars and AndyCC72 like this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Thanks. Another reason I appreciate the Technics. So easily adjustable, and the values are accurate. I balanced my tonearm recently and set it right at “2” VTF on the counterweight and when I checked with a digital scale it read 1.99g. I actually trust the Technics counterweight more than the cheap scale. :laugh:

Incidentally, that M5G version was really nice. Wish I’d bought one back when they were still in production.

dconsmack likes this.
  8. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

So you recommend more anti skating than the VTF setting?

9. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

They won’t if the anti skate isn’t set correctly. It can mean the difference between 500 and the theoretical 1000 hours. I’m not saying it can’t last a long time; I’m saying it might not if it’s not set up properly and at 500 hours you’ll be able to tell with the proper magnification if one side is wearing out faster than the other. I had a Dynavector 17D3 barely make it to 500 hours. It needed more anti skate than a typical cart at 2 grams. One side was fine. The other side was worn out.
    I don’t understand why there are people here who are reluctant to just check at 500 hours. It might be perfect or it might just a ave someone from damaging their records. I’m simply sharing my experience. I’ve monitored all my styli with a dedicated stylus microscope and logged their hours. It doesn’t seem a lot of people have stylus microscopes laying around. If people refuse to believe that their stylus might wear out before they expect, best of luck!

Telcoman and snorker like this.
  10. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Not necessarily. I recommend watching the 2 videos on how to set anti-skate over at www.sound-smith.com or better yet, investing in a Wally Analog WallySkater. The values achieved with those methods on my table might differ from yours. The Soundsmith method is free; the WallySkater is somewhat costly but can also determine the quality of your bearings and if there’s any horizontal forces inherent in the arm from twisted tonearm wire. Since I had absolutely no horizontal forces and my bearings proved to have virtually no friction, I got my AS value of 2.8 on both the WallySkater and the Soundsmith method. But, I have no idea if there are variances in the calibration of other Technics anti-skate dials. Hope this helps.

RS2099 likes this.
  11. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

I'm now officially a club member. Still going through the break in period, but I'm absolutely giddy with this new cart. The vocals, the bass, the detail!

Ever since I saw the OC9XML attached to @okc_craft Eminent Technology tonearm and SOTA, I've been lusting after that combo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The jury is still out on my mystery 80's head amp Help me ID: CSA-50/II Head Amplifier?
    Seems to be providing a capable boost, but its also producing a nasty hum/buzz as well.

With the new cart I need to stop being so lazy about my record cleaning routine. Unfortunately I'm out of my home-brew cleaning solution and no stores around me can keep distilled water in stock.

Kyhl, eis01, timind and 4 others like this.
  12. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Looks great!!! And I bet it sounds even better. Enjoy what you’ve got there, it’s an enviable system.

DJSpinner likes this.
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Is the OC9XML a big upgrade compared to the VM740ML that I have or is it more of a lateral move?
    I am also considering the Hana ML, but it is considerably more expensive.

14. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

Just chiming in to say that I absolutely adore this cartridge! I was a long time 440MLa user so I already loved the microline stylus technology - completely eliminated IGD and sibilance (caused by the stylus at least). I actually bought a 2M Black in between this and the 440MLa because I wanted to try something completely different - big mistake. IGD was back in full force no matter what I did - along with a sound that I didn't really deem worth the price tag. Decided to try something different enough with the microline stylus I loved so much and dip my toes in the MC world and am loving every note of it.

My chain is OC9XML (with a AT-LH11H headshell) > SL1200MK2 > Parks Puffin > Focal Alpha 50 (or Magni 3 > DT770 for headphone use)

Davey likes this.
  15. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

What are your Puffin settings (gain, etc) for the cart? thanks!

16. killerofgiants

I have the gain at either 59 or 60 when going through my powered monitors (sometimes I get the "overload" icon when at 60 depending on how hot the record is), and 50 when going through my Schiit (based on conversations I had with Shannon). I keep the air setting at +2 or +3 and have the "magic" setting on. Sometimes I'll tweak the settings depending on the record - "bass boost" works great for hip hop/rap, and I might add some warmth if the record starts getting piercing. I've played around with the tube emulation which sounds pretty cool too.

Unless I win the lottery and have an unlimited budget, the Puffin is my endgame preamp - such a great product.

Technocentral and dcarwin like this.
  17. killerofgiants

Mixed up the two gain settings - should be 50 for the powered monitors and 60 for the Schiit.

dcarwin likes this.
  18. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Schiit Freya? (Which preamp are you going into from the Puffin?)

19. killerofgiants

The Magni 3 headphone amp.

dcarwin likes this.
  20. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

21. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP) Thread Starter

The best mine has sounded so far, mounted on one of my custom alumina ceramic armwands, 8mm OD and 5.5mm ID, undamped other than the epoxy joints at headshell and connector ends, very solid imagery. I'm in the process of making a couple longer ones, can pick up 16.5mm pivot to spindle distance by rotating the tonearm mounting plate, so the new ones will be true 10" models. Not too much viscous damping, using 2000 cst in the trough now.

Shown below with the Maarja Nuut & Ruum Muunduja record that I play so often, through Teflon Air Matrix cables using my Lundahl LL1933 SUT and Conrad-Johnson EF-1 phono preamp...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Kyhl, eis01, Waxxy and 8 others like this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Unfortunately I believe I’ve developed an issue with my OC9XML. It will occasionally make a loud “POP” out of nowhere. Almost like static electricity suddenly discharging. I checked all connections, etc and couldn’t cure it. I swapped to my AT33PTG/2 and the issue is gone, leading me to conclude something is up with the OC9XML. It’s within warranty so I was thinking I would contact Audio Technica.

The AT33PTG/2 isn’t a bad substitute – in fact it is also quite good – but I prefer the more neutral sound of the OC9XML.

23. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP) Thread Starter

Hmm, that is odd, never had something like that happen before. But one potential (pun intended) issue with a lot of cartridges is that the body is anodized and electrically isolated from the tonearm, even the screw holes, might contribute to a static buildup in some climates. As I mentioned to you earlier in this thread, I actually sanded the top of mine to expose bare aluminum for electrical bonding to the headshell, but that was mainly just to experiment ... Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Owners Club and Pictorial

24. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Thanks. Yeah, I’ve not ever experienced it either. It’s also odd it suddenly developed now as we’re getting into spring…it’s usually drier in winter. It could be something else entirely and merely coincidence it resolved when I switched to the AT33PTG/2. I may try switching back again just to be sure before I contact AT.

punkmusick and Davey like this.
  25. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Looks like Technics is going to release a similar iron man colored deck, the SL-1200M7L:
    [​IMG]

So for those who were put off by its gold/red color scheme: you can now match it nicely with the deck!

Hehe that’ll look quite funny I think :p

33na3rd, dcarwin and woodpigeon like this.