Audio Technica AT637 Ultrasonic Stylus Cleaner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DVinylFan, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

:) Good question. Yes. Two. Both sittings on shelves, one inside a cabinet full of audio accessories and the other in a closet full of audio accessories. I think - maybe - that I’ve seen a third non-functioning one a MKoM in Toronto but it could actually be a fully operational one that is just not used anymore.

Randoms likes this.
  2. DVinylFan

DVinylFan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Update! I bought a Thakker Carbon fibre stylus brush to tide me over and then won a used Goldring electronic stylus cleaner on EBay for £12.50 ($15 US): about a tenth the cost of the Flux audio device.
    The stylus brush gets fluff off , but can’t remove much very baked-on crud, or anything attached to the trailing edge of the stylus, since only a back to front brushing motion is safe to prevent damage to the cantilever/cartridge. Not a total solution to stylus cleaning.
    The Goldring device uses a PP9 (9 volt) battery instead of a single (1.5 volt) AA battery like the AT637 or 2x AAA batteries like the Flux Hifi cleaner. Might be a bit too energetic? Maybe.

So I’m working on a 3 volt conversion using a PP9 connector and a 2x AAA battery holder while I wait for the Goldring cleaner to arrive.

Footnote: it matches my GR1.2 turntable. Same logo: capital G in a square

3. DVinylFan

DVinylFan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The Goldring device arrived. There’s no need any more of a 3V conversion because it works very well as intended with a PP9 in it. bit of a squeeze getting the battery into the battery compartment.
    There is no danger to cantilevers from these stylus cleaning devices imo, if used dry.
    Carbon fibres pad on the Goldring is as short and stiff as my still missed AT637.
    This every week or two and my Thakker fluff brush daily combined are sure to keep my stylus clean.

Randoms and Dubmart like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A few weeks ago a friend bought a record collection and the person had a deck they were selling as well, I just went to collect it and the seller handed me a box of bits, all he mentioned was a stylus balance gauge so when I got home and opened it I was really pleased to find a mint and fully working AT 637, a nice bonus.

DVinylFan and Randoms like this.
  5. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I was looking for one of these on eBay but they seemed a bit pricey. Ended up getting the Ortofon one, which takes a 9v battery instead of a AA.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.