Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Microphonic Cable Noise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joy-of-radio, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi gang,

I have a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x model headphones that exhibit very noticeable microphonic cable noise. To be clear, the noise is mechanical and is heard on the left side that the cable attaches to. I can trail about half way down the length of the cable with my fingers and clearly hear the vibrations through the left ear piece. I have switched out cables and still hear the noise. Here is my question; Is this normal for this particular model?

Oddly, I have two ATH-M40x models, both of which exhibit hardly any microphonic cable noise.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

The mechanical noise transmission is a problem with all headphones and cables to a certain extent. The problem is made worse by certain cable coverings and insulation. Sometimes you can significantly reduce it by dissipating the vibration along the cable. Maybe try putting a glob of Blu-tack around the cable near the ear piece connector to see if that has any affect. Or something that lightly clamps to the cable. Sometimes the only recourse is to actually make a break in the the cable insulation, but then you have to be careful to not stress the wires when using it. If handy with a soldering iron and cable making tools, you could cut the cable near the headphone connector and add a section of less microphonic cable, or just buy a replacement that is known to be less microphonic. Does the 40x use the same cable connectors? If so, why not just use one of those cables, or get another set?

3. Joy-of-radio

The ATH-M50x and the ATH-M40x use interchangeable cables. I've swapped them and it makes no difference. I feel somewhat like I may have a defective ATH-M50x since the less expensive ATH-M40x produces far less microphonic noise. I'm hoping someone who own the ATH-M50x will chime in with their thoughts on the matter. Better yet, if someone can confirm that the ATH-M50x does indeed produces much more microphonic noise than the ATH-M40x, that would be appreciated. The excessive noise may simply be a shortcoming of ATH-M50x, and then again maybe not. Thank you for your suggestions.

4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

My pair do the same, if I get what you're talking about. If you tap or bump the cable, the vibrations are transmitted by the cable to the earpiece. I don't think it's electronic ( what I think of when I hear the term "microphonic"), but instead it vibration being transmitted mechanically. I don't consider it excessive and don't really notice it unless I'm really moving around and whacking the cord again things.

I assume it's due to the design. I've had similar noise from some types of earbuds.

I think the M40X is a newer series... perhaps they modified the design to minimize this?

Hope that helps!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  5. Joy-of-radio

A
    After carefully re-educating myself regarding the definition of microphonic, I understand that I misused the word. The noise is mechanical and just as you described. Frankly I regard it as a design flaw because, in my opinion, it is excessive in relation with other models including the less expensive ATH-M40x. Thank you for confirming the issue. They're still fairly pleasant sounding headphones.

rcsrich likes this.
  6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I use mine when I need more isolation from noise than my Grados provide... certainly good sound for the money and a sturdy build. :)

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  7. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

That's exactly why I picked up a pair of those ATH-M50x cans today.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  8. Joy-of-radio

Hey guys! I've gotten past my dissatisfaction with the mechanical cable noise of my ATH-M50X headphones. They sound pretty darn good otherwise and I enjoy them almost exclusively. I was, however, shocked a few months ago when I glanced at the gold colored AUDIO TECHNICA insignia painted on the headband and noticed it was turning green and fading away. I whined about this in another thread and some practical SH forum member adjusted my attitude by asking me if it affected the audio quality, which it doesn't. I have several hundred hours of listening on these at least and I can easily affirm that they sound more open, especially in the midrange, than they did when new.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

Perhaps the frequency response of the ATH-MX50X emphasize the issue more than the ATH-MX40x phones. I chose the 40's over the 50's as my comparison of the two response curves led me to believe the 40's were more "accurate". The response differences could mask or highlight the mechanical noise issues. As for my 40's I haven't thought microphonics/mechanical cable noise to be a big deal, but my ear pads are beginning to flake... Still like 'em though.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  10. Joy-of-radio

I ignorantly described the noise I was hearing as a microphonic cable issue. As I correctly understand it now, microphonic is electrical. The issue I was referring to is mechanical wherein noise is heard through the headphones as mechanical vibrations are transferred through the cabling. this problem affects the M50x far more so than the M40x. By the way, I agree with you that the M40x produces a flatter and more accurate frequency response. And yeah, the vinyl material deteriorates rather quickly, but I think it depends somewhat on the wearers pH balance of their skin. Most everything I touch disintegrates and corrodes very fast!

11. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

I understand the mechanical part, my 40's will do the same thing and is audible when nothing or very low music - lower than I usually use these- is playing. For that matter I can repeat the same test on my AKG 240 Studio phones. The length down the cord I still can hear it seems to have to do with the type of rubber sheathing the cable. The AKG's have a slightly glossier finish on there cable and the noise stops about a foot earlier sliding down the cable. Perhaps the duller sheathing has a bit more "tooth" than the glossier cable. In any case, once there is music present at a useful level for me, I cannot hear the sliding down the cable. This test was a pleasant enough diversion to editing someone audiobook for a few minutes!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  12. nonickname

nonickname New Member

Hey! This has helped me. I put a small clamp near near the ear piece connector, and it reduced this noise by 70% at least. I felt obliged to sign-up to say thanks!
    My ATH-M40x have been annoying me with this mechanical rustling sound for almost two year now. I have no complains about the sound quality, but this noise, due to the very light plastic construcion of the set, and excessively rigid cable (which gets even more rigid if it gets colder in the room) was really dissapointing.
    Maybe I should mod my set to take standard 3.5 mm jacks, instead of AT 2.5 mm and use it with a softer cable. I've seen a guide on youtube, seems pretty easy.
    Anyway, thanks you all.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.