Audio-Technica launches new entry-level VM95 cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Do other VM95ML users concur with this assessment? Bass is very important to me, which is why I use a Nagaoka MP-110 and MP-200 in my main system. However, I finally got my AR-XB with Technics arm-wand mod up and running and I want a new budget cart for my secondary system that has a little better tracking ability. I have been contemplating getting the LP Gear vivid line stylus for my AT-95 but the VM95ML is only $35 more and I get a nude stylus, better frequency response, and a bit more output. But again, I am worried that if I am going to lose the low bass, I'll be disappointed in the end. I know this is a game of compromises at this price point. But after years of experimentation, I finally have come to the realization that I cannot live without bass energy and those moments when I know the record has some of that sub-40hz information, which explains why I've moved on from the AT-120e, AT-125LC, and Ortofon Blue. I guess I am a Nagaoka, Shure, Grado kind of guy.

One reviewer over at LP Gear states that the AT-95VL reminds him of the Grace F9E. So aside from the AT-95ML, should I be considering the AT7V? The price has jumped up to $210, which makes it not of great value at almost twice the price of a AT-95VL stylus. Thoughts?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Forget the VL.

I have measured the VM95ML. The frequency response is near flat out to 20khz. That means it is a VERY NEUTRAL cartridge when loaded correctly. It doesn't LACK ANYTHING. Stereo separation I measured at 27dB - that is very good number for a cart of this type, and good enough for most records and human ears. It shouldn't have "soundstaging" issues, whatever that is supposed to mean. If someone is experiencing a lack of bass, it means that either their ears are fooling them, or they don't have the cart set up or loaded correctly. A simple frequency response measurement with a good test record usually sorts things out quickly. Like all newer AT pretty much, the VM95 series like LOW CAPACITANCE. If your phono preamp has high capacitance, avoid AT in general. Also, the VM95 works best on medium to medium heavy mass arms. Not recommended for low-mass arms.

Note also that I don't believe carts are supposed to be band-aids or compensators for other system issues. So if your speakers suck at reproducing bass and don't go down low enough, or if you are playing records that have little low-end content, don't expect a good cartridge to fix that.

If you want a Grace, buy a Grace. The AT-7V is a good cartridge. The generator uses a different AT design and it has a decent nude elliptical stylus rather than the much better ML stylus. When the elliptical wears out, you can put a 540 ML stylus on the body, but then it won't be suited for the same types of arms the 7V is made for. The 7V is made for medium to medium heavy arms. The 540 is really meant for a lighter arm, ideally less than 10g EM.

3. Dr. J.

I appreciate your advice and defer to your expertise because I never measured anything in my life. However, I do know from following many threads here and elsewhere about various components measuring well but not always sounding good . I have no doubts that the VM95ML sounds excellent for all the reasons stated in this thread. I am just worried about it lacking something down below. Actually, I think "lack" is the right word here. It sounds like the VM95ML is not missing anything in its frequency response, but could it be lacking in other respects: micro details or how it resolves the bass information? I am just asking. All I know is that when I have compared the AT-120e, which some have said is ruler flat up to about 15khz, to the Nagaoka MP-110 or 200, the bass is much more resolving and engaging. I can hear bass notes much longer and clearly with these carts. So that's where I am coming from. But I also know those carts are not always the best trackers and can miss things on the opposite end of the spectrum. Hence why I am interested in the VM95ML.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've had this cart for almost a year, which is a real record in longevity for me. I think I'll stay with it. My speakers go down to 35Hz and with some room enforcement, a little lower. What I've come to appreciate with my speakers is controlled bass, which goes hand-in-hand with acoustic suspension designs.

I think the bass in this cart is admirable, and not lacking as measurements indicate. I think some of how a cart presents in the bass can have to do with sympathetic response, and where the resonant frequency sits. Tuning this can be as simple as a change in mounting hardware.

One recording I go to when I want to understand bass response in a cartridge is the first track on Joni Mitchell's Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. I think this cart does as well as any at sussing out the nuances of those bass bombs, which are super resonant and room swamping. Likewise the Holst: Suites 1 & 2 with Fennell and the Cleveland Symphonic Winds—very controlled with huge projection and very good tone.

I think this cart has a very high quality stylus and is very neutral. It may have less bass than some others in your arm, but it does deliver. I do think the soundstage is a bit smaller than some cartridges I've owned, and it doesn't have the nuanced timbre of a MC design.

It is not the old 95, but I think this stylus is much better than the VL and Shibata for the old 95. Hope that helps.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It is not difficult to get a few simple measurement tools so you can measure things yourself. MM cartridges are highly loading dependent on the capacitance side, ATs especially. The 120E and the previous 440 series were not flat without special loading. I went through several of the 440 styli and had to load down to 39K with 100pf at the phono preamp and low capacitance cables to get a flatter response. That's per measurements.

The VM95 series does not require loading down. I load at 47K with 100pf at the phono preamp and low capactiance cables.
    Agreed. There is some variability in what arms the VM95 series will work with but it needs a little bit of weight on the arm. That's why I would look at a measurement of the RF to see if it's being pushed up too high on a light arm.

More about low frequencies: some phono preamps will roll-off the low frequencies with a built in subsonic filter or their interpretation of RIAA EQ. The phono preamp I use has no such filtering.

Andrea_Bellucci and Dr. J. like this.
  6. Dr. J.

Yes, this is super helpful! Thanks! I have that Mitchell album and will spin that first track on all my decks and carts and get a baseline for my expectations.

Thanks again for your help. The good news is that I have loading plugs for 42, 36, and 32k, low capacitance cables, and one preamp with 75pf and another with 150pf. With all that I am sure I can find a combination that sounds best.

Andrea_Bellucci and patient_ot like this.
  7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

To echo all the above sentiments, the VM95ML is only "bass shy" in relation to carts that have a notable bass hump. I've got plenty of hip-hop and EDM and reggae records that dig deep with this cart, I'm just not getting a bloated sound with standard rock records which is often what people seeks. Like @patient_ot my cart measures flat into 47k with assumed 100pf, and sounds flat to my ears. If all measures well with this cart, and there's no bass in the signal there's no bass on the record!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right, what people often don't understand is that some rock and pop records are mastered with very little bass content in order to get everything to fit on a record and not skip on someone's plastic toy turntable. Not unusual for a record to have little to no content below 40-50hz. Many speakers are also not rated to go down very low.

9. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

I have only been using the cartridge for a few months and I have not found anything lacking in the low end range. Low end information is very important to me and I find that the cartridge accurately portrays what is in the grooves and how the mastering engineer wanted the recording to sound. I listen to all types of music and I have yet to find myself wishing it could do more.

10. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Am I the only one to whom AT carts look like LEGO's with a needle? Just sayin'...

c-eling, Big Blue and MikeInFla like this.
  11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'll also add that on heavy albums fast
    lol, they certainly don't look expensive, but I do think these threaded metal inserts for the mounting are absolutely brilliant

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I could say the same thing for Nagaoka cartridges. :unhunh:

33na3rd likes this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ll just echo others who have said I don’t find the low bass lacking at all in my setup using a VM95ML.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

They kind of feel like LEGOs when you handle them, too. I dig it.

c-eling and 33na3rd like this.
  15. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

What Vtf you use? I found 2.1 g could be the sweet spot, at 2g, I find high hats too splashy and voices unnatural

16. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Pretty sure my VM95ml puts out more bass than my Nag MP110 ever did.

Gumboo likes this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just fitted a ML for a family member, lovely cart and definitely not lacking in bass, I'm totally converted by this entire Audio Technica range, fantastic performance for the money. While I was checking the set up I decided to listen to a mono LP as I couldn't be bothered to go and play it on my mono deck in the main system, the ML gave me perhaps the cleanest playback of a mono LP I have heard on a stereo cart, now it was a very clean 1950s Rudy Van Gelder cut LP, but I suspect the Micro Line stylus profile could be really useful for those wanting to play the odd mono without getting a dedicated cart or deck, I'm definitely going to get myself one to play with when funds allow.

Clonesteak, Randoms, GyroSE and 5 others like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't have a mono cart. I simply flip the switch on phono preamp to mono when playing mono records, whether new or old. Depending on condition some mono records may be better off with a conical rather than the ML, but that's a case by case basis thing I think. Many mono records beginning in the 60s, from what I've read, were actually cut on stereo cutter heads with a mono signal, so it makes sense that a cart designed for stereo works fine, with the channels summed at the phono preamp.

19. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

My Signet AM10S with a line contact stylus slays the VM95* in the bass department.

VM540* too. Including the ML.

Could be due to my DIY arm though.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Those Signets are no longer made. I have a TK3EA body. Both the AM10 and the TK3EA and the VM500 series use the 4 coil AT body design, rather than the 2 coil design of the VM95 and prior AT95.

How are you doing these comparisons? Go ahead and measure the AM10S and post a graph here.

The entire VM95 series should be very neutral, if properly loaded and on an appropriate tonearm.

I don't know anything about your DIY tonearm. What is the effective mass?

Re: "bass department", there are DJ carts that have a lot of bass, but they are far from accurate.

21. Phil Thien

I don't do needle drops, I haven't had any interest in digitizing vinyl. I've thought of adding an ADC for analysis, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it at this point. For now I'm flying by the seat of my pants, I'll measure more later.

So my comparisons are primarily via A/B listening tests. I do have AudioTools and a calibrated mic, but as you likely know, getting an accurate picture of in-room bass that way can be a challenge due to room interaction. So in other words, mostly listening.

My preamp is the 42-2109, so 50k/100pf.

My arm's effective mass is unknown at this point, as I've made some adjustments to it and haven't calculated the effective mass lately (it is a PITA). Also, I'm not so sure the conventional methods for calculating effective mass translate well to my arm, at least when it comes to apples to apples comparisons. An aspect of my arm design, intended to provide some damping, will probably complicate matters.

I can say that with the Signet cartridge combined with the older Audio Technica LC ATN122LP stylus, though, my albums are playing very similarly to digital when it comes to bass. It (bass) isn't emphasized at all. The bass coming from the 540ML is lighter.

You'd think given the construction of the two cartridges/styluses that they'd be closer, but the 540ML is absolutely lighter weight.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

An inexpensive ADC and an accurate frequency sweep test record will sort things out quickly. Also, if your phono pre doesn't filter out too much low end via a non-switchable subsonic filter, it is also very easy to see if the cart is a good match for your tonearm in the first place.

One of the reasons I bought testing tools (other than my curiosity) was because I got tired of arguing with people on forums that make unverifiable claims out of thin air. Not saying that is you, but the human mind is a powerful thing and people are indeed often duped by "hearing" something they think is there when it's not. It may well be that your Signet cart has "more bass", but if it's true, it will show up in the measurements.

Where possible, I always check my measurements against what others have done, even "pro" measurements and if anyone wants to know my testing procedure, I'm happy to lay it out. The stuff I do is very easily duplicated by anyone that wants to, and the equipment investment is relatively small. I do encourage people to do their own measurements as the results are often very eye-opening.

23. Phil Thien

Well the 42-2109 rolls off fairly steeply starting at around 30-Hz, so anything from an ADC is likely going to be pretty worthless in terms of looking for my arm's resonance, unless I get an ADC that has a phono preamp built in.

Also, swapping cartridges is a bit of a PITA, as I don't have a removable headshell. I guess if I had an ADC I could always measure before moving to the next, but I don't know if I'm that worried whether people believe me or not.

You'd certainly hear a difference in bass between my 540ML and my old Signet/ATN122LP, though. I'd characterize the difference as similar to some much older CDs that seemed bright, compared to vinyl or subsequent remasters on CD.

Anyway, someone asked if it was true that the newer Audio Technica cartridges are lighter in the bass department and I've given I think an accurate representation of my experience.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've played a few more LPs since my earlier post, is there something missing compared to my expensive MCs, yes, but for less than a tenth of what they cost it's very little, the ML is a superb performer, great information retrieval, nice tonal balance, great tracking, no noise issues, I really can't fault it for £130. I'm a big fan of the Ortofon 2M Bronze, listening to the ML I'm not sure which is the better cart in fact I think the ML may be getting close to the 2M Black, crazy performance for the money.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You've got a custom tonearm that no one else on the planet owns and you don't know the effective mass. You're also comparing it to a cart that hasn't been made in decades. If I had to take a wild guess I'd say the Signet/ATN combo is simply a better match for your tonearm than any of the VM95 series, whichever one(s) you tried. The VM95 series not recommend for low-mass arms, at least I wouldn't recommend it for that based on measurements. Maybe that's what you arm is - too light for the VM95. Again, just a guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.