Audio-Technica launches new entry-level VM95 cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think you're right. See my edit. Maybe they need to remove the aux counterweight? Yeah, pics or a video would help.

2. Mesa Sound

Mesa Sound Member

I will upload pics and video asap. Having some issues with my wifi so pics will come first

3. Mesa Sound

Mesa Sound Member

Okay so like I said, having issues with my wifi (having to do everything via my phone right now) but I'm eager to get some opinions on this so I think if you follow this link: SleekByDesign

It should take you to my Flickr account which will have the cartridge pics below a couple of random foodie shots. I'd post the pics individually but having issues finding direct links through the web version of Flickr (can't use the app right now). In the images you'll see the cart, how I've altered its placement as far forward as possible, it floating at its 0 point, and the amount of travel left to apply force. I tried to give a clear view of the tonearm assembly as well. I really appreciate any and all eyes on this!

Sorry for the bother, but I'm sure everyone here is familiar with analog frustration and the need for it to be resolved asap!

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I looked at your pics. That's odd. Do you have a stylus pressure scale?

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Is the aux counterweight screwed in or not?

6. Mesa Sound

Mesa Sound Member

What do you mean? Is it threaded? Sorry I'm in uncharted territory here lol.

I do not have a stylus pressure scale

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Please take a picture of the tonearm counterweight and stub area so we can see what, if anything is screwed into the back of the tonearm stub.

8. Mesa Sound

Mesa Sound Member

Ahhhh I see, I didn't realize the stub was screwed in (I only got these TT's in December)! Removing it obviously solves my issue; is there any effect on audio from its removal?

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No real affect on audio. Make sure you align your carts correctly as well. Having it all the way forward in the headshell is not a good idea. Download your TT manual from Vinyl Engine and read up.

Clonesteak, aphexacid and Mesa Sound like this.
  10. Mesa Sound

Mesa Sound Member

Awesome! Thank you!

Wow, yes, this has definitely solved things. Cart sounds incredible! Thanks again for pointing out the obvious :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  11. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Hi. I've read about half the posts here. I don't understand the least thing about loading and capacitance but I do not that I have been using an AT95e and a Denon DL-110 for quite some time They both track fine at about 1.8g. I was thinking of an upgrade and a few have recommended the AT-VM95ML. I don't have an MM/MC switch on my TT, btw. Is it a wise move to shell out for the AT-VM95ML? Listen to mostly rock and pop. (I'm using a DJ PRE phono amp.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  12. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I say go for it. It should work fine on your setup. Yes, it would be a wise move.

Clonesteak, Dubmart and marcfeld69 like this.
  13. marcfeld69

Thanks!

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The ART DJ Pre will work well with the 95ML. The 95ML is just a moving magnet cartridge with common output, it doesn't need any kind of special preamp or step-up device. I know of a few people that switched over from the Denon to the AT and all of them are happy with their decision.

marcfeld69 and Dubmart like this.
  15. Richard 1966

Richard 1966 Forum Resident

You could try the ATN 95 Shibata.
    Retails around £150 and is worth every penny.
    If you are using a AT95E this should fit onto your current tone arm.
    Hope this helps.

dcarwin and marcfeld69 like this.
  16. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi!

As others have just said:

Go for it!

I'm using the Audio Technica VM95ML for over a year now and I'm very pleased with this cartridge.

I've also owned an Art Dj Pre II and the AT-VM95ML has worked fine with it.

As your Denon amp in your profile page is still running you could also try the phono stage in the Denon.

Any reason you bought the Art Dj Pre II? The capacity in the old amps are normally fine.

Bye Andrea :wave:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

I absolutely love my ML, I’ve been thinking about picking up the shibata stylus as I’ve heard so much good about it, but then the more I listen to the ML, I just don’t know how much added benefit I would get. Inner groove distortion is a thing of the past and all types of music that I throw at it sounds great.

bluemooze, Heckto35 and marcfeld69 like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Shibata is different than ML, not superior despite the price difference. Shibata was one of the first advanced stylus profiles. ML/MR came later and is a finer profile. At the recommended load you'll get the same frequency response, except the SH will have a small dip, probably about 1db in the upper mids.

Heckto35 likes this.
  19. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

Thank you for that information.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. marcfeld69

Excellent. Thanks.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

Thanks. I have my heart set on the new series but curious where this fits in.

22. marcfeld69

Thanks. The simple reason (and not very technical reason) I got the PRE is because I wanted to bring the sound level of LPs up to compare with my LPs if I had the same album. I'm pretty sure both were fine before that. I am still not sure if I need to use the 100/200 pf buttons, tbh, or even the low cut button. I don't think they make much difference.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  23. marcfeld69

Can you hear a difference? I can't, albeit it's on YouTube:

bluemooze and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  24. marcfeld69

I hope no one minds but can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced non-magnetic tracking force gauge that is currently available? Here or PM me. Sorry for the interruption. The one I had previously was garbage. There are so many crazy-cheap ones out there on Amazon.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  25. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Funny, I have the SH and feel the exact same way about the ML. I'm sure they're both fine.

Incamera likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.