Audio-Technica launches new entry-level VM95 cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thank you. :targettiphat:

patient_ot likes this.
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Could be great news because the old AT-95e had sibilance on upper notes. It was not a set up issue either. Grado Green just killed the old AT-95e.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Like another said, I've had a couple AT-95e carts in two different players, they sound 'good' for their price.
    More than satisfactory.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I never noticed any sibilance when I ran mine on my now sold Marantz 6100.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  5. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Neither and my turntable was lower end.

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I noticed this. Free shipping, too. I've got the ML version on the way.

33na3rd and patient_ot like this.
  7. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Sibilance only rears its head on a handful of albums, I might have about 100 LPs and only about 5 of them give me any trouble, which I managed to sort by buying a VM540ML.

8. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

The 540 is a must or any other Microline stylus. The AT95's are great for a starter but it's why they make thinner stylus's to eradicate IGD and sibilance issues. If the AT95's were so good then everyone would have one. Some people are less picky and can tolerate weakened fidelity towards the end of records. I don't want a cartridge dying on me towards the end of a record.

Heckto35, patient_ot and Slick Willie like this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Microline and Shibata styli for the new AT95 are available.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I hope you'll give your impressions after it's settled in a bit.

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

BTW, just like my AT95E, the VM540ML is marked, "Made in Japan".

patient_ot likes this.
  12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I will. The caveat is that I've never used the classic AT95 with its original green stylus, but I hope that this body will have slightly better matching of channel output and that the better separation will work well. I've had some difficulty getting a dynamic compliance spec. I do see that LP gear lists it as 7 rather than 10 for the slightly nicer carts. I'm hoping it is somewhere around 11 or 12—converted.

patient_ot and 33na3rd like this.
  13. Morbius McDalek

Morbius McDalek Mobilis in mobili

Hello all. This is my first post to this forum, so hopefully you’ll go gently with me.

I’ve recently fitted a new AT-VM95ML (£149) to my NAS Hyperspace turntable with a Hadcock GH242 arm. I was previously using the AT95EX (£45), from which these new cartridges have arisen. I’ve probably played about ten albums on it so far.

The reason I like the original AT95EX is that it has a tight bass and so it’s easy to follow music. However, it lacks detail and sounds a bit crude, which I think is its major downfall. The new micro-line is certainly detailed and sophisticated in comparison, and I now hear the texture of instruments, such as synthesisers etc. Given these extras, it’s not surprising to me that perhaps the bass lines are now a bit less easy to follow, but not by too much. As for background noise, there is little or none, and it tracks to the inner groove with ease. I’m very happy and I intend to keep it.

However (!), there’s a problem that could mean this cartridge doesn’t get universal acceptance. Comparing the specs of the two I mention above, it now has a higher inductance than previously (550mH instead of 400mH). What this means is that it’s even more sensitive to loading, and if you don’t get this right, the treble will strip the paint from the walls. As I find it with my equipment, it needs a higher resistive load than normal (around 100k Ohm) and a low capacitance (around 150pF including the phono cables). These will flatten the 2kHz – 10kHz region without causing it to droop much below 20kHz.

In other words, this guy is far from being plug and play. Then again, this has always been the problem with MM cartridges, which might lead many to use an MC instead, as they are far less fussy about how they are loaded. But once got right, I no longer see the need to use another MC cartridge again (and I have used many).

I think the loading issue has always been the reason why people have very different experiences with Audio Technica MM cartridges. I believe it gets worse here unfortunately.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very interesting info. Odd that the inductance of the body changed.

Loading is not a problem for me but many people are unaware of it or they refuse to do it. Did you check your different loads with a test record? If you have graphs they would be interesting to see.

I'd also be curious to see what a straight resistive load of 39k - 42K would do with this cartridge.

I load my Signet/440Mlb combo at 39K currently. Pretty easy to take the load down from 47K using plugs on most phono stages. Harder to take it up AFAIK unless your stage has a 100K ohm setting.

15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Mathematical ideal is something like 72K. I can do 62, 50, and 38 K in my phono pre, so I'll certainly be interested in trying some options.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm confused.
    I had thought to tame hot high frequencies, one would load the cartridge lower than the recommended 47K, not higher.

17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You are right. The lower the number, the darker the sound, generally. Higher loadings generally thin out the sound and give more high end air and detail, bass sometimes becomes looser and more resonant.

The mathematical ideal only takes certain things into consideration, and the designers tailor the sound with a particular loading in mind.

This cart, with more than 100pF cap will have the resonant frequency closer to the audible range, then there are the harmonics.

33na3rd likes this.
  18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I may jump on one of these too. I've had it in the back of my mind for the past year to upgrade the stylus on the Clearaudio Virtuoso that came with my Marantz TT15. That cart is purported to be an $800 cart, but is pretty much just a fluffed up AT95 by most accounts, and so the styli are pretty easy to upgrade.

I think I had some back and forth with you on this jupiterboy, and you suggested I might prefer the ML over the Shibata, if memory serves. I'll probably just get the whole cartridge since its only $20 more than just the ML stylus. That way, I'll have a backup cart.

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Shure M91ED has 720mh inductance and it is a more mellow cart. It's DC resistance is somewhere in the 630 ohm range.

So I am not quite straight on how the raised inductance is going to play on this one making it brighter...
    Can you upload a sample of what you are hearing with your loading?
    Thank you.

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

The new body is an unknown, so it is some risk. There is a shibata and a vivid line for the old 95 body. That cart is kinda classic. We'll see about this new version.

21. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I don't know anything about it but I have read it's the opposite. More inductance gives the cart a fuller sound.

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Your observation has been mine as well...

23. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. The 40-watt bulb in my brain just registered what you are telling me. I.e., no guarantee the stylus on this new model will fit my Virtuoso...maybe I'll give them a call and see what I can learn.

24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You gotta cut them down with a knife to fit it on the Clearaudio carts. Good lens and a hot knife, maybe. Don't know if I'd try that. The Clearaudio carts are probably the top of the line in terms of channel balance and separation. I've looked for a used Clearaudio body, but don't know if I'm up for the cutting.

25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yeah, I've researched this pretty carefully. Watching this video on youtube gave me some confidence that I could handle this project.

jupiterboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.