Audio-Technica launches new entry-level VM95 cartridge series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by daytona600, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

If I compare the response with fixed frequencies (which are more accurate) in graph 2 above, you can see that the Ultimate Analogue test record pink noise fits well with the fixed frequencies. Since the Cardas and the HFN curve shows different response, compared to Ultimate Analogue test record, they are not accurate.

Also, when I compare other measurements made using CBS and Denon test records (e.g. John Elison at VA) the best agreement is with the Ultimate Analogue test record. The Elipson test record is also accurate (white noise, pink noise and the fixed frequencies fits well with each other and the Ultimate Analogue test record).

patient_ot likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The question is why are you content to use any AT95 on a turntable of this quality? I would bet you skimped on a phono stage as well which is even more critical?

3. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

There's really only one way to find out what these new carts are capable of, and that's by installing one and listening to it. I believe that was the point of this exercise. :tiphat:

4. Classicrock

Having used an original AT 95 as a stop gap I can confirm pricier cartridges perform much better. Even the AT100E I have as back up is much better than the previous AT95. AT are hardly going to shoot themselves in the foot and make a version of AT95 that outperforms their up market MM cartridges. Might be some overlap with the lower VM500 ranged, but then prices also overlap.

Andre Acvedo likes this.
  5. Classicrock

marcfeld69 likes this.
  6. tables_turning

Hm...glad I'm staying with my V1 95 then.

7. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

8. tables_turning

Tracking force, anti-skate setting and other variables can have an effect on stylus life, as can playing seriously worn or damaged discs. On average, I have been able to get to about 950 - 1000 hours on a quality stylus before signs of wear start to become evident. Everyone's mileage is going to vary, naturally, due to the factors described above. A poor quality stylus can also wear prematurely and do some damage in the process as well.

Andre Acvedo and patient_ot like this.
  9. tables_turning

"Our VM95 Series dual moving magnet cartridges can be used almost forever by replacing the interchangeable stylus. It is no longer necessary to purchase a complete cartridge when your diamond is worn out, you can simply buy the matching replacement stylus..."

Wait, what? Isn't this what most owners of carts with replaceable styli already do? :wtf:

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They have always had very conservative stylus wear figures. I believe these are mainly based on FR tests, NOT that @ 300 hours an elliptical is going to damage your records.

McLover likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No they are not. And they make it pretty clear that the VM500 series has better specs and they consider that the flagship MM series.

But offering a wider variety of styli on the 95 was a good idea for a few reasons:

1) The 95 is traditionally a little lower compliance than the 500 series and its predecessor - may work on some tonearms the 500 will not.

2) Aftermarket companies were already offering upgrade styli for these carts. This brings the money back to AT directly.

3) Some people may subjectively prefer the sound of the 95 series over the 500 series.

McLover and Morbius McDalek like this.
  12. Morbius McDalek

Morbius McDalek Mobilis in mobili

I apologise. I thought you meant literally fixed frequency. You must mean rising frequency. Now I understand what you are saying!

13. Morbius McDalek

Using lack of knowledge as the basis to an argument is somewhat foolish, don't you think?

14. Morbius McDalek

It certainly is. But the reason I’m now using the 95ML is that it’s as good as a moving coil cartridge (which never have removable styluses). Perhaps I was just late into this game? AT are presumably aiming this MM at MC users too. And they have definitely succeeded with me!

tables_turning likes this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Quoted for truth. Also, this record is the laboratory accurate reference standard in the industry (The NAB Test LP is the only other so well regarded as a reference). I keep mint copies of the CBS Laboratories STR 100 at the ready at all times, it is very useful.

bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

#1 is a critical reason. The AT-VM 95 series will perform very well on most every common tonearm in wide use. And it is solid for medium mass tonearm applications in the most common and widespread use today.

And I'd also add #4. It is also a very budget friendly option which is practical for most record users. I have a AT-VM 95C on the way for my own use (a good sensible modern mono/Stereo choice for a wide range of LP and 45 RPM playback applications). I'll report back after I've gotten it, installed it, and used it for at least 1 week. This new AT family is likely going to be the bang for the buck choice for entry cartridges.

patient_ot likes this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Anybody tried the VM95EN? I just jumped on a great Amazon price for one that comes mounted to the headshell AT is packaging with these. It will go on a Fluance RT80, which has bayonet mount, so the pre-mounted option may save me some hassle (depending on how close the alignment is out of the box, of course...), especially if I don't like the new cart. Since it's a budget turntable that does not allow VTA or azimuth adjustment, I don't think ML or Shibata would be ideal unless the VTA and azimuth just happen to be on the spot as is. Also, it's a $200 turntable, so I don't want to get too out of control with a cartridge upgrade. This seems like a good opportunity to try a nude elliptical without spending more than the cost of the turntable itself.

From what I can see in the product/marketing photos, based on what is printed on the cartridge body, the EN and up are made in Japan, whereas the C and E are made in China. So I think that is part of the jump in price from bonded to nude, as well. Whether that results in a difference in quality, I can't say, but it at least explains some of the price gap in the line.

We'll see how this goes!

18. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I wonder how the VM95ML compares to the VM540ML?

Joel S and 33na3rd like this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't think they are saying these particular styli last those numbers of hours. I think they are saying in general, any styli cut to those shapes last those numbers of hours. They are positioned in the marketing materials in a way that is saying "hey, you're going to need a new stylus at some point, and look how convenient these cartridges make it!" I assume they are low-balling the number of hours because they want to sell you a new stylus sooner. If elliptical styli actually wore out beyond usefulness in 300 hours, there is no way they would be the most popular stylus shape in use...

Joel S likes this.
  20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I have to say, in the current era, I don't get the logic of the replaceable stylus so much. Sure it's convenient (until the manufacturer stops making stylii like my Linn K9 and AT ML150 and Shure M95 and Stanton--and no, overpriced aftermarket bonded stylii don't interest me that much). But the price is pretty much same as a brand new cartridge. The VN95 stylii are just 20 bucks less than the whole thing. The shibata version is on sale for $181 at Amazon right now, two bucks more than the stylus.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don't think most people want to change the whole cartridge when the stylus is the only part that is worn. It's much less work to just snap off/snap on than to do a whole cartridge dismount/remount/realign, plus you have to start over with break-in of the new cartridge. Also, $20 is not an insignificant portion of the price for most of the VM95 series.

Eigenvector likes this.
  22. Morbius McDalek

I agree completely. The new VM95ML is an absolutely superb (stunningly good) cartridge and I don’t hesitate to recommend it. Now that mine has worn in, I need to give it a more objective appraisal.

bluemooze and Big Blue like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Glad to hear it. I went with the VM95EN/H premounted (needed a headshell for it anyway, and I snagged it at a price only $12 more than the cart alone), with the intention of seeing how close the VTA comes on my static tonearm, and, if it's on the money, maybe check out the ML stylus next time. However, upon getting the VM95EN set up, checking overhang/alignment (it was good to go out of the box!), and spinning the first LP, I found I suddenly have a major speed stability issue. That's an entirely different topic, of course, but it's pretty horrible timing, since I can't really break in or evaluate my new cartridge until that gets sorted out...

24. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

@jupiterboy, how's your new ML sounding after a month in?

How would you compare it to your old Shibata?

Thanks,
    Jeff

25. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It's a very different cartridge. I think the classic version seemed to just pull the music together in a way many nicer cartridges don't. Maybe part of that was the poor separation. The Shibata was a bonded stylus, and it allowed me to enjoy my quad records like no other. It was also pretty good with rock and jazz, but as it wore it did start to reveal those records that had baked in distortion but less so than an elliptical.

The new stylus is nude, and it is probably the best tracker I've owned, period. It is a really good match with the Rega arms. I'd be safe in pointing out some midrange muddiness, but the other side of the coin is that it is surprisingly revealing, and that muddiness is most often in the recordings I suspect. If I throw really good source material at it I am always pleased. It is bigger in terms on dynamics where the classic was pretty intimate. When I go for a replacement stylus, I'll probably use heavier hardware and lower the resonant frequency a bit and listen to see if that muddiness shifts a bit. Maybe this cart has a bit of extra energy in the lower midrange. That's kinda nice with my speakers. Still, it has the limitations that most all MM carts have, which is a little edginess or stridency that I relate to the higher output. It's not as relaxed and liquid as a MC, obviously. If a company would put this stylus on a nice, HOMC and offer it at a nice price it would change the market.

I put on Carmina Burana recently and thought maybe it was one of the best presentations of this recording I'd experienced. I thought that offered some insight. The very low-level chorus was brought forward a bit. Small details seem to get a bit more emphasis. Because it tracks so well, big dynamic swings, hot horns, hot vocals all hand together without much frustration beyond what's already in the recording.

I think it is a real value. I might take the classic version is my collection was mostly rock and use the VL stylus. I had a pile of records that had some IGD baked in. I've decided to keep those and spin them a few more times as this ML stylus really does do a great job.

I'll try and do some short recordings before I get much further and post those up. That will tell you more than I can with my words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.